The Student Room Group

I can't sleep because I'm too scared of ghosts - Please help!

So, it's currently 2:37am and I'm sat here wide awake with all the lights on knowing full well I have a 9am exam today. Except lo and behold, I can't catch a wink of sleep because my mind is in a tizz about the ghosts that I might dream about or who might be watching me from the other side of my room.

Ever since I can remember, I have been stupidly afraid of ghosts as soon as the lights are turned off. I literally can't sleep in any hotels because I don't know what might be there. Sometimes I can't sleep at university in my room or even at home sometimes when it's dark.

Not helping the situation in the slightest is the fact that I volunteered at a nearby castle on the Halloween weekend, so everytime I shut my eyes I put myself back on the 'forgotten floor' where I worked (it was very creepy), or back in the staff toilets where I think I heard something knocking on the walls... I know that It's silly to be afraid of ghosts, as they may not even exist, or even if they do, what are they going to do?

Nevertheless, here I am. I have scoured the internet looking for help, but have only managed to scare myself even more... If someone could give me a long term solution, I would be forever greatful, and it might even ease some of the worries I have about moving into a new house at uni next year.

TIA :-)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:iiam:
they dont exist
ok let me extend my point, i was like you terrified of the dark and ghosts, then i got depressed and stopped caring if they exist and then realised they dont exist, hope i helped
Reply 4
Get the salt and have some iron nearby. That might help you feel safe. :h:

Spoiler

Original post by Michiyo
Get the salt and have some iron nearby. That might help you feel safe. :h:

Spoiler

Tbh, it probably doesn't help that I've started rewatching Supernatural either, and the first season is pretty ghost heavy so far... :biggrin:
Original post by scorpion666990
ok let me extend my point, i was like you terrified of the dark and ghosts, then i got depressed and stopped caring if they exist and then realised they dont exist, hope i helped

I would love to not believe in ghosts, but I can't really see that happening... Any particular way you stopped believeing in them or was it just that you stopped caring? :-)
Reply 7
Original post by StarGirlFrankie
Tbh, it probably doesn't help that I've started rewatching Supernatural either, and the first season is pretty ghost heavy so far... :biggrin:

OMG A FELLOW SUPERNATURAL FAN! *five*

Of course it may not help, but there may not be any ghosts nearby either. :smile: The idea is to create a sense of security, no matter how real or false, so you can sleep in peace. :hugs: I would say it is worth a shot if it helps you sleep. :wink:
I would love to not believe in ghosts, but I can't really see that happening... Any particular way you stopped believeing in them or was it just that you stopped caring? :-)

umm there was a point when i was actually suicidal but didnt have the guts so i went to sleep at night wishing they'd get me, it never happened

i understand the way i dealt with it is not helpful for you at all

if you are religious then i dont think you can shake it since you believe in fairytales, first i think you have to stop believing in god, then you will realise all these demons and ghosts do not exist

still not sure if its helpful but i tried
crack your curtains open a bit to let light come through to feel safer

hey, another thing you could do is clean your room up, but this only works if your room is cluttered as sometimes you can make out faces in the mess of clothes and bags and stuff
if you are religious then i dont think you can shake it since you believe in fairytales, first i think you have to stop believing in god, then you will realise all these demons and ghosts do not exist

With all due respect, please respect, accept, and do not insult others' beliefs, whether they overlap with yours or go against them. If OP or someone else believes in God, ghosts, and other such things. they are entitled to that, just like you are entitled to your opinion about religion. Do not try to shove atheism down people's throats when they do not shove their own beliefs (Christianity, Wicca, etc) down your throat. That is what respecting others' beliefs means.

Religious people do not have to stop believing in God (it will have no effect anyway). It is their right to do so, just like it is yours not to believe in God.

I do appreciate you trying to help the OP, though. :smile: Just take a bit more care with the words you use next time as they can be very disrespectful to others.
(edited 7 years ago)
umm there was a point when i was actually suicidal but didnt have the guts so i went to sleep at night wishing they'd get me, it never happened

i understand the way i dealt with it is not helpful for you at all

still not sure if its helpful but i tried

Thanks for helping, I'm sorry that you felt that way and hope that you're ok now? (I know that sounds pathetic, but I don't really know what to say without making it seem patronising, sorry again :-/ ) :-)
hey, another thing you could do is clean your room up, but this only works if your room is cluttered as sometimes you can make out faces in the mess of clothes and bags and stuff

I'll try this tomorrow, as it is a bit messy so might a least make me feel a bit better!
Original post by Michiyo
With all due respect, please respect, accept, and do not insult others' beliefs, whether they overlap with yours or go against them. If OP or someone else believes in God, ghosts, and other such things. they are entitled to that, just like you are entitled to your opinion about religion. Do not try to shove atheism down people's throats when they do not shove their own beliefs (Christianity, Wicca, etc) down your throat. That is what respecting others' beliefs means.

Religious people do not have to stop believing in God (it will have no effect anyway). It is their right to do so, just like it is yours not to believe in God.

I do appreciate you trying to help the OP, though. :smile: Just take a bit more care with the words you use next time as they can be very disrespectful to others.

wtf im just explaining how i did it, and why i think i was able to and that was a major point in how i stopped believing in ghosts and im pretty sure i said if you are religious i dont think you can shake it? that doesnt mean im bashing anyones belief thats just me saying what i think

pls stop being a sjw that gets offended at any and everything

i respect everyone equally regardless of beliefs
Original post by Michiyo
OMG A FELLOW SUPERNATURAL FAN! *five*

Of course it may not help, but there may not be any ghosts nearby either. :smile: The idea is to create a sense of security, no matter how real or false, so you can sleep in peace. :hugs: I would say it is worth a shot if it helps you sleep. :wink:

I have a lot of new things to try, but might try this too! One thing is bound to help at least a little bit! Feel like I need a bit of the Winchester spirit right now though (no pun intended :-P )
Thanks for helping, I'm sorry that you felt that way and hope that you're ok now? (I know that sounds pathetic, but I don't really know what to say without making it seem patronising, sorry again :-/ ) :-)

its fine, and i hope i didnt offend you with any of that god stuff, i didnt think it was offensive but that other guy seems to find it
so i apologise, but seriously that was a major reason for me

another, little bit sillier way, i think it will help you, going on a big roller coaster, like stealth, once you do that you will feel ontop of the world and feel like nothing can effect you, well it did for me anyway, because i was terrified before going on stealth but now i feel like ive conquered life lol

again sorry if i offended
they dont exist

Yes, they do exist :colonhash: Most of the time, they won't do any harm unless you do the bad move first.

As for the girl, just don't think about it and relax, nothing is going to happen :tongue: Even myself, I've seen an actual ghost when I was a kid and yet that doesn't scare me :h: Humans scare me more than ghosts :teehee:
(edited 7 years ago)
its fine, and i hope i didnt offend you with any of that god stuff, i didnt think it was offensive but that other guy seems to find it
so i apologise, but seriously that was a major reason for me

another, little bit sillier way, i think it will help you, going on a big roller coaster, like stealth, once you do that you will feel ontop of the world and feel like nothing can effect you, well it did for me anyway, because i was terrified before going on stealth but now i feel like ive conquered life lol

again sorry if i offended

Don't worry about it :-P It's the internet - everyone is going to have a different view (I'm not getting at anyone with that statement, it's almost 4am and I can't think of any other way to phrase it).
I did go on Oblivion at Alton Towers, that was terrifying!
wtf im just explaining how i did it, and why i think i was able to and that was a major point in how i stopped believing in ghosts and im pretty sure i said if you are religious i dont think you can shake it? that doesnt mean im bashing anyones belief thats just me saying what i think

pls stop being a sjw that gets offended at any and everything

i respect everyone equally regardless of beliefs

How what you are trying to claim (that you were just explaining how you did it) would have sounded like: 'So, I know this is not for everyone, but I stopped believing in ghosts when I stopped believing in God. I felt that was a major turning point that cured my fear of ghosts and demons, so you may find that useful if it suits you'

...What you actually said: 'you should stop believing in god', 'if you are religious then [...] you believe in fairytales'

Do you not think these may come across as a bit disrespectful since you outright called someone's beliefs a fairytale and tried to convince any religious people out there that they should stop believing in God for their own good (protection from ghosts)? :smile:

Sure, I do not believe in Islam, so I just say 'I personally do not believe in Islam(, but anyone who does is welcome to do so as they have the right to believe in whatever they want)'. I am not calling what they believe in 'fairytales' or any other insulting words, nor am I advising them to stop believing in it since that would be rude of me.

I know you did not mean it to sound like that, hence why I pointed out that you should be a bit more careful with the wording. How you phrase something can change the message completely, which is what happened here.

Hahaha, you got it wrong, I am neither a SJW nor offended. :rofl: I merely decided to point out that you should take a bit more care with the words you use before your wording offends someone in real life. You would not want to be known as the person who is racist against Muslims but who hypocritically claims not to be, would you? (Of course, this is most likely not true, but you may come across as so if you use bad wording like you did here.)

Religion aside, thank you for giving the OP some tips that may help :smile:

I have a lot of new things to try, but might try this too! One thing is bound to help at least a little bit! Feel like I need a bit of the Winchester spirit right now though (no pun intended :-P )

I know using anti-ghost things from a TV show sounds like a silly idea, but I for one felt safer with a knife near my bed when I was too scared to go to sleep back when my neighbour tried to break in at 3 AM three nights in a row. I knew nothing would happen, but having the knife nearby gave me a sense of security, so I thought feeling as if you have some protection (salt, iron) might help you just like it helped me. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest