The Student Room Group

Why do people expect Guys to date younger girls?

Im in my early 20s and my GF is 2 years older, we've both finished uni and lots of our friends think its weird and that I should be dating a girl who's like 18-19. My brother who is 27 has a GF who's in her early 30s and again gets told he should be dating a girl who's in her early 20s and not one his age, and not an older woman either. And both of us get told to marry before we're 30 (we're English so its not culture).

Why do people give a **** unless you want kids? (neither of us do :lol:) Even if u do my mam popped me out at 32 so dont see why its an issue? It's not like either of us are on that Mlif time.

/rant

Scroll to see replies

I think it's because most girls- not all, want more mature guys? Generally older guys are more mature, understanding, hence girls look for that kind of security ect,
Though it depends from person to person, that's just in general. You can get some women who are into younger guys....it depends on the person imo

I personally will go for guys older than me :yep:
Original post by CleverSquirrel
I think it's because most girls- not all, want more mature guys? Generally older guys are more mature, understanding, hence girls look for that kind of security ect,
Though it depends from person to person, that's just in general. You can get some women who are into younger guys....it depends on the person imo

I personally will go for guys older than me :yep:

Guys want mature women as well?
Original post by hezzlington
Guys want mature women as well?

Yeah I mentioned that too but in a really bad way! :yep: deffo! It does depend on the person and how they think
Original post by CleverSquirrel
Yeah I mentioned that too but in a really bad way! :yep: deffo! It does depend on the person and how they think

will you go for a guy that's mature but happens to be younger
will you go for a guy that's mature but happens to be younger

It really does depend- like probably only 1 or two years younger yeah of course I will , sadly I haven't met a guy like that yet.

But yeah sure why not? After all age is just a number :yep:

I'm kind of a big deal- need a guy who can handle me :rofl:
Reply 6
Due to the stereotype that men's 'bodily urges' will lead to them always trying to seek a younger, fitter female. Also because of the mentality 'Get them young and attractive while you still can because they will not want you anymore when you will be older unless you are rich'.

Of course that is BS with just a little basis in biology, but who cares as long as you love each other? :h:

(On a side note, I find it a bit creepy that a guy who finished university would date a girl who is maybe in her last year of A-levels or barely starting university... Of course, that ends up not mattering as you get older, but at that point in time, it feels more relevant as you would be in different stages of life.)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Michiyo
Due to the stereotype that men's 'bodily urges' will lead to them always trying to seek a younger, fitter female. Also because of the mentality 'Bro, get them young and attractive ones while you still can because they will not want you anymore when you will be older unless you are rich'.

Of course that is BS with just a little basis in biology, but who cares as long as you love each other? :h:

(On a side note, I find it a bit creepy that a guy who finished university would date a girl who is maybe in her last year of A-levels or barely starting university... Of course, that ends up not mattering as you get older, but at that point in time, it feels more relevant as you would be in different stages of life.)

I agree fully with the last paragraph. I said something similar and nobody seemed to get the idea of 'different stages of life'.
It isn't ******** as the above poster says.

Women age faster and men do care more about how their partner looks than women.

Of course, men also tend to mature a bit slower, especially around the 18-21 mark. I feel most 18 year girls are as mature as most 21 year old guys I know. Once they both hit 22 though it's roughly the same, until they get to the point where they have an actual career rather than just a temporary job and start living alone for a long time managing all their finances away from uni and home, so that's like... 26ish?

Now what I don't know is if women get around to that before men. I doubt they do tbh. So after 25 I don't think it matters other than the fact that generally a guy at 25 will look better than a woman at 25.
The fabled maturity gap, I'd say. The idea is that men mature a lot slower than women so a man dating a woman of the same age as him or older would be a constant drag on the woman...
Original post by Hydeman
The fabled maturity gap, I'd say. The idea is that men mature a lot slower than women so a man dating a woman of the same age as him or older would be a constant drag on the woman...

Which definition of fabled is intended here?
Original post by Pikachū
Which definition of fabled is intended here?

I'm only really aware of one: common knowledge that may not be true in all cases or all of the time. That's what I meant by it, anyway.
Original post by TorpidPhil

Women age faster.

Uh no. Women literally age slower. They have slower metabolisms and live longer.
Original post by Hydeman
I'm only really aware of one: common knowledge that may not be true in all cases or all of the time. That's what I meant by it, anyway.

Ah, I think it means something that's a myth too; wasn't sure if you were implying it's not true or that it's sometimes true.
I agree fully with the last paragraph. I said something similar and nobody seemed to get the idea of 'different stages of life'.

Honestly, if the people involved were an 18 years old girl and a 24 years old man, I would find it a bit odd and expect that some conflicts may arise (because the 18-year-old would most likely live with their parents and have their first taste of freedom while starting to study for her degree while the 24-year-old would be more concerned with more serious things like graduate jobs and buying a house), but it would be acceptable in the end if it was consensual. If they were 30 and 34, that would not really matter, even though the 34-year-old finished university right before the 30-year-old started it.

Women age faster and men do care more about how their partner looks than women.

Of course, men also tend to mature a bit slower, especially around the 18-21 mark. I feel most 18 year girls are as mature as most 21 year old guys I know. Once they both hit 22 though it's roughly the same, until they get to the point where they have an actual career rather than just a temporary job and start living alone for a long time managing all their finances away from uni and home, so that's like... 26ish?

Now what I don't know is if women get around to that before men. I doubt they do tbh. So after 25 I don't think it matters other than the fact that generally a guy at 25 will look better than a woman at 25.

Read again. 'BS with a little biology thrown in.' I acknowledge there is a biological basis for some of these stereotypes (since men are indeed wired to look for a more fertile -and thus younger- mate while women seek protection -a.k.a. an older man usually-), but point out how inaccurate this basis can be at times due to individual differences (not all girls want someone to provide for the family, not all men are concerned with the age of the female for breeding purposes, there are lesbians and homosexuals, some young men are into older women, etc) and sociological effects (the toxic idea that men cannot get younger, more attractive women when they are a bit older unless they are rich).

That being said, I do agree it mostly does not matter after both sexes reach the age of 25. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pikachū
Ah, I think it means something that's a myth too; wasn't sure if you were implying it's not true or that it's sometimes true.

It does mean that too. I think there's a slight difference in meaning between the noun, fable, which means myth/legend, and the adjective, fabled, which means infamous but with possible embellishment. I was going for the adjective.

Anyway, back to the subject of the thread before we derail it too much...
Original post by MyTwistedWorld
Im in my early 20s and my GF is 2 years older, we've both finished uni and lots of our friends think its weird and that I should be dating a girl who's like 18-19. My brother who is 27 has a GF who's in her early 30s and again gets told he should be dating a girl who's in her early 20s and not one his age, and not an older woman either. And both of us get told to marry before we're 30 (we're English so its not culture).

Why do people give a **** unless you want kids? (neither of us do :lol:) Even if u do my mam popped me out at 32 so dont see why its an issue? It's not like either of us are on that Mlif time.

/rant

Your friends are weird. Preferring younger women themselves is one thing, but why care who other men date? Do they want more competition?

Also lol that people say women have higher standards when men in their 30s expect to date women a decade younger.
Original post by Spheniscidae2039
Uh no. Women literally age slower. They have slower metabolisms and live longer.

Their looks.

You know what I meant my dear pedant :wink:

A few wrinkles aren't as big of a deal on a man. Nor is him gaining a bit of a belly. It's just how it is. A male's aesthetic value doesn't come from being super duper lean or being absolutely spotlessly pretty.
Their looks.

You know what I meant my dear pedant :wink:

A few wrinkles aren't as big of a deal on a man. Nor is him gaining a bit of a belly. It's just how it is. A male's aesthetic value doesn't come from being super duper lean or being absolutely spotlessly pretty.

Are you attracted to men?
Original post by Spheniscidae2039
Are you attracted to men?

I find both males and females physically attractive.

And I'm also good at noticing patterns in the preferences of others too.

Latest

Trending

Trending