The Student Room Group

Why do you like maths?

What intrigued you to study a maths degree at uni? Was it the a level?

I honestly want to know...:colonhash:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MajorFader

The challenge, the versatility of the degree, my pure interest in the subject (main one), and I guess I'm good at the subject in general (?)
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
The challenge, the versatility of the degree, my pure interest in the subject (main one), and I guess I'm good at the subject in general (?)

Oh right
My main reason was interest in the subject also. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by rayquaza17
My main reason was interest in the subject also. :smile:

What did you do at a level?
People like pain?
Original post by RDKGames

How do you git gud at maths at a GCSE level?
What's the best revision site, i'm a brainlet btw.
Reply 7
Most logical subject. I hate the fact that arts subjects are all up for discussion. No right or wrong answer, can be interpreted completely differently by different people.

I like a concrete subject where there's no ambiguities, just either correct or incorrect.
Reply 8
It's not impacted by the opinion of the marker, unlike ambiguous written subjects.
Original post by Carthaginian
How do you git gud at maths at a GCSE level?
What's the best revision site, i'm a brainlet btw.

'MATHS GENIE'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MaherPhd

Alright, i've used this, but incomparison to maths watch, it has a lot less topics.
I can't stand mathswatch, but I guess i'll give maths genie a go.
Reply 11
Open fluid dynamics textbook and you may change your opinion on maths :biggrin:
What did you do at a level?

Maths, further Maths, physics

Because it was the subject where I was most able to crush my enemies, see them driven before me and hear the lamentation of their women.

Seriously though,and I've been a mathmo for nearly forty years, the fact that I was very good at it did provide a lot of motivation. Plus, in my youthful idealism, I wanted to find out how the world worked - and mathematics is the language of creation.
There aren't a multitude of possible answers like there are in arts subjects
You're either right or wrong there isn't a degree of correctness
Original post by Pikachū
Most logical subject. I hate the fact that arts subjects are all up for discussion. No right or wrong answer, can be interpreted completely differently by different people.

I like a concrete subject where there's no ambiguities, just either correct or incorrect.

Original post by epsilondelta
There aren't a multitude of possible answers like there are in arts subjects
You're either right or wrong there isn't a degree of correctness

Not necessarily.

In physics, and in the branch of physics I study there is a great deal of mathematical uncertainty.

Concepts such as non-uniqueness arise frequently; you obtain multiple solutions and it's correct mathematically, but in reality there is only one correct answer - you just won't know it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hezzlington
Not necessarily.

In physics, and in the branch of physics I study there is a great deal of mathematical uncertainty.

Concepts such as non-uniqueness arise frequently; you obtain multiple solutions and it's correct mathematically, but in reality there is only one correct answer - you just won't know it.

True, I think I was trying to get at the more binary nature of it rather than massive sliding scale of opinion for other subjects
Original post by Gregorius
Because it was the subject where I was most able to crush my enemies, see them driven before me and hear the lamentation of their women.

Ah, that's good to hear - I thought it was just me.

Plus, in my youthful idealism, I wanted to find out how the world worked

Oh yeah, that as well. But it was mainly the whole "crushing the enemies/lamentation" thing for me.
Original post by atsruser

Oh yeah, that as well. But it was mainly the whole "crushing the enemies/lamentation" thing for me.

PRSOM! :smile:

I really wanted to be a lumberjack. But that route was closed to me. So I then aimed to be a theoretical physicist - I decided that to do that well I ought to learn how 2 do hard sumz propally. And one of the reasons that I wanted to be a theoretical physicist was because I read a spy book involving a theoretical physicist. Yes, I was shallow.

Quick Reply

Latest