The Student Room Group

Cambridge Decisions 2017 - info and FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
We prefer to provide feedback to the referee for two reasons:

(i) The referee is well placed to judge the best way to convey the feedback to the individual concerned so that it is received as a beneficial learning experience;(ii) The provision of feedback to your school informs advisers of future applicants about the standards and requirements for the relevant Cambridge course and thus is of wider benefit to the admissions process.

If you think you want the feedback sent to you then just ask. Remember that it might not be as helpful as you would wish though. The most common feedback is inevitably some variation on 'we thought you were a strong applicant but you weren't quite as strong as those we made offers to.' This may seem vague and unhelpful but remember that our admissions process takes a holistic view of our applicants so there's rarely any one, two or even small number of things which led to the decision to not make an offer.

Thanks a lot! Your response was of great help! I will probably discuss this with my referee but since I'm an international applicant the majority of students doesn't apply to Oxbridge/the UK....
Original post by whatyoullbe
So, if a direct feedback request had already been sent, should it be retracted and have the referee make another instead? Would a response to a referee's request provide a little more and in particular enough information for the referee to advise on whether reapplying is worth considering? And perhaps what could be improved upon even though it was a "strong but not as strong as others" candidate?

Would no STEP vs having STEP for example be a influential factor in the "not as strong"?

Regardless of who makes the request, unless specifically stated in the request or previosuly (e.g. on the College Data Protection Declaration) feedback is generally sent to the referee. If you would like to be advised on reapplications then whoever requests the feedback should mention this.

Applications really are holistic without weightings applied so looking to find simple areas of improvement is a bit of a reductive view to take and is why most feedback seems vague. A college's decision might have been different had any number of things been different. Some of these are at least partially within the applicants control (performance on assessments or at interview) but others are not, including the major factor of who else has applied to study the same course at Cambridge. Other things relate to your previous performance or contextual information and cannot be changed as they are in the past. Some part of your performance is related to the person that you are (e.g. the supervision system doesn't suit everybody) so I'd advise you to do your best to come to terms with the decision that has been made before embarking on the reapplication journey.

Bear in mind that if you reapply it will be a different application from a different person - you will likely have finished school, will have final results and you will have had a year of extra study so a college's expectations of you would be different. You won't have the same interview again so looking for information on how to re-do the same application again better isn't the best way forward.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mayte007

Thank you for your advice throughout the application process. I haven't been successful despite also being placed in the Winter pool by my College. It did not surprise me. I did not do as well as I could have done in the ENGAA as I found out two days before it that my father has a very aggressive form of prostate cancer. This has had a devastated effect on me. In the days before my interviews he got further tests results, even worse news. I could not plead extenuating circumstances as I had already submitted my SQA but I thought my school, my referee, had written to them and explain what was going on ( I even had to take some time off school, I got so depressed) but they did not inform my College about anything. Do you think I could ask for a review of their decision? I also have a POLAR 3 "flag".

I'm very sorry to hear that. I'm afraid that it is very unlikely that the decision could be reviewed. Colleges have to make timely decisions, taking the information available to them at that time in good faith. It sounds like your UCAS referee might have let you down and you should ask for reviews at this level, but I'm sorry that this won't help with Cambridge. It sounds like you're going through quite a lot so please do not give yourself a hard time over any of this.
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Regardless of who makes the request, unless specifically stated in the request or previosuly (e.g. on the College Data Protection Declaration) feedback is generally sent to the referee. If you would like to be advised on reapplications then whoever requests the feedback should mention this.

...so looking to find simple areas of improvement is a bit of a reductive view to take and is why most feedback seems vague...

Some part of your performance is related to the person that you are (e.g. the supervision system doesn't suit everybody) so I'd advise you to do your best to come to terms with the decision that has been made before embarking on the reapplication journey.

... so looking for information on how to re-do the same application again better isn't the best way forward.

Thank you for a thorough and very helpful reply. It addresses pretty much all the questions explicitly.

The supervision system is one of two reasons behind choosing Cambridge. So, if this was deemed unsuitable, that alone would be justification to abandon any thought of a second attempt; it is however hard not to perhaps read too much into the unsuccessful pooling (no AS taken, so hopefully on merit) to speculate if that might or might not be a factor. Knowing if this was indeed an issue would be a huge help. The same would be true for things fixed in the past.

At the other more tangible end, test performance might be something that could be improved.

The rest of the more fuzzy factors in between like who else are competing for places are somewhat luck dependent which would not help towards deciding, but it would nonetheless be useful to know too.

Thank you again. Hopefully when the feedback comes, these would become clearer.
I was re-interviewed at Robinsons, when is it likely I'll hear back?
Original post by Jamvicious
I was re-interviewed at Robinsons, when is it likely I'll hear back?

When were you re-interviewed?
Original post by jneill
When were you re-interviewed?

12th
12th

Call your original college tomorrow.
This might be a stupid question but why my original college instead of Robinsons?
This might be a stupid question but why my original college instead of Robinsons?

They are your primary point of contact unless you've been told otherwise. They can chase up Robinson if necessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was also pooled to Robinson (interviewed on the 12th too) and haven't heard back yet. I was told at the end of my interview that I'd hear by the end of January, but probably by the end of the following week. Should I act or just wait?
Original post by Heisenberg'sCat
I was also pooled to Robinson (interviewed on the 12th too) and haven't heard back yet. I was told at the end of my interview that I'd hear by the end of January, but probably by the end of the following week. Should I act or just wait?

Other's who have asked me have followed my advice to call their original college without affecting their quantum state but gaining useful information anyway :wink:
Original post by jneill
Other's who have asked me have followed my advice to call their original college without affecting their quantum state but gaining useful information anyway :wink:

Can one observe the system and gain information without affecting their quantum state? I wouldn't want to cause the wavefunction to collapse unfavourably :smile:
Can one observe the system and gain information without affecting their quantum state? I wouldn't want to cause the wavefunction to collapse unfavourably :smile:

With regards to this particular vector, yes.

The cat is not affected by the phone call itself, but of course might be by the subsequent delivery of information at a later stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
With regards to this particular vector, yes.

The cat is not affected by the phone call itself, but of course might be by the subsequent delivery of information at a later stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright, thank you!
Alright, thank you!

I would say good luck, but that's not appropriate in an uncertain quantum system :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am also waiting to hear back from Robinson, did anyone get much information by calling their college?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending