The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JustPadz
Actually I would argue that KCL and Warwick had the wow factor. I've heard many people abroad say KCL is a top school, Warwick to follow. To be honest, I didn't even know about St Andrews University was a thing until about a week ago, no joke. Pardon me if I was being ignorant.

Next thing you need to think is the location factor, which has a direct link to reputation and employability KCL you can't beat its central London location, and Warwick, located just outside of Birmingham isn't bad. This is in comparison to Durham and St Andrew's which are literally in the middle of nowhere.

I think people outside the UK may think King's is prestigious purely because it sounds prestigious, after all it has "King's" and "London" in its name. I find it hard to believe that people outside of the UK will know of Warwick.

In my school, King's isnt that prestigious and is seen as the last resort for London universities. If you're going to be paying so much to live in London, it's really only worth it if you're going to Imperial, LSE or UCL. And I'm pretty sure Warwick has never rejected anyone in my school's history whereas people I know who have applied to Durham or St Andrews have been rejected. A university isn't really prestigious if it just accepts anyone in my opinion.
Original post by ffspr0pect

In my school, King's isnt that prestigious and is seen as the last resort for London universities.

I think your school needs a reality check. London Met? Kingston? Westminster? Think, children, think!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ageshallnot
I think your school needs a reality check. London Met? Kingston? Westminster? Think, children, think!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I go to quite a selective academic grammar school. No one would apply to those type of universities in London.
This question is hard to answer because everyone has different ideas as to what prestige is. The uni I go to has been rubbished in this thread (:rolleyes:), but others irl see it as fairly good. Hell, London Met can be seen as prestigious when you place it in the context that it ranks <700 out of 25,000ish universities in the world.
I go to quite a selective academic grammar school. No one would apply to those type of universities in London.

I think it's good that people who think like that are kept apart from the rest of society.
What I most enjoy about these lists is the smuggle, it always goes right in the middle.

'All the great writers: Shakespeare, Milton, Pratchett, Austen, Dickens'
Oxford = Cambridge > LSE = Imperial > UCL = St Andrews = Edinburgh = Warwick = Durham
Reply 47
So from what you guys are saying, Edinburgh University isn't that prestigious right ?
Original post by codelyoko
So from what you guys are saying, Edinburgh University isn't that prestigious right ?

What? Most of the replies have included Edinburgh.. Also it ranks fairly high
Original post by cambio wechsel
What I most enjoy about these lists is the smuggle, it always goes right in the middle.

'All the great writers: Shakespeare, Milton, Pratchett, Austen, Dickens'

Don't diss Pratchett :eek3:
Reply 50
Original post by CompSci16
um where are King's and Warwick??

That's up to Stanford (and Mr Knight)... I imagine if the program is successful (they are in start-up with it at the moment) they may consider expanding it. Durham also isn't on the event list.

But that doesn't preclude applications from anywhere. That's just a list of events, not "qualifying" universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think people outside the UK may think King's is prestigious purely because it sounds prestigious, after all it has "King's" and "London" in its name. I find it hard to believe that people outside of the UK will know of Warwick.

In my school, King's isnt that prestigious and is seen as the last resort for London universities. If you're going to be paying so much to live in London, it's really only worth it if you're going to Imperial, LSE or UCL. And I'm pretty sure Warwick has never rejected anyone in my school's history whereas people I know who have applied to Durham or St Andrews have been rejected. A university isn't really prestigious if it just accepts anyone in my opinion.

Just saying, back in my day when I was applying to university it was commonly known that scottish university was a joke to get into and gave away easy offers. Personally Edinburgh gave me an offer of BBB, so I shudder to think what St andrews would give, a University ranked 74th in the world if a University ranked 19th gives a BBB offer. To reiterate, I didn't even know St Andrews University was a thing till like last week.

Furthermore, everyone dreamed of coming to the big city in London, depending on their specialty people would pick one of the different CLs or head to LSE. i.e. Imperial for engineering, UCL for English, KCL for law, and LSE for economics. No one really seemed to care about Durham, I remember looking it up once and saw that it was in the middle of nowhere, checked in the world rankings, saw it was in the 60s and just thought, well I shan't be applying there.
If you based your university search on world overall rankings and not the ranKings suited to your course and its graduate prospects your kinda doomed. By the way st Andrews might have low entry requirements however the average UMS score to get in there is over 500 and as high graduate prospects. One of the reasons why its not high on international rankings is because its not part of the Russell group whuch I believe is some times a Joke. It is number 1 in Scotland and no 3 in the UK and it is amongst the hardest schools to get into. London unis are only high because the attract majority of international students and home students who don't live in London. Btw are you aware of how they come up with international rankings? Oxford is world number 1 but isnt number one in the UK and trails behind Cambridge, so to base your decision on international rankings rather than the country ranking is quite .....
While keeping in mind I'm not the brightest (ABB), would Glasgow be considered prestigious? I signed up for it and got in, and I don't really care about prestige, but I am curious.
Original post by SkyRees
While keeping in mind I'm not the brightest (ABB), would Glasgow be considered prestigious? I signed up for it and got in, and I don't really care about prestige, but I am curious.

Its ranked amongst top 3 in Scotland i believe so you can say its one of the best in Scotland , i class that as prestige and if its leading in your subject your industry professionals would see it as prestige..
Original post by Andrella
Its ranked amongst top 3 in Scotland i believe so you can say its one of the best in Scotland , i class that as prestige and if its leading in your subject your industry professionals would see it as prestige..

21st according to CUG, I think that's decent (History), 14th for the Latin half. Thanks for the info!
Original post by Andrella
If you based your university search on world overall rankings and not the ranKings suited to your course and its graduate prospects your kinda doomed. By the way st Andrews might have low entry requirements however the average UMS score to get in there is over 500 and as high graduate prospects. One of the reasons why its not high on international rankings is because its not part of the Russell group whuch I believe is some times a Joke. It is number 1 in Scotland and no 3 in the UK and it is amongst the hardest schools to get into. London unis are only high because the attract majority of international students and home students who don't live in London. Btw are you aware of how they come up with international rankings? Oxford is world number 1 but isnt number one in the UK and trails behind Cambridge, so to base your decision on international rankings rather than the country ranking is quite .....

Because basing your university choice on the guardian rankings is better lol k.
And why is St Andrews not in the russell group? If its as good as you say it is, surely it should be in there?
You're still not explaining what I pointed out, I pointed out that scottish universities are known for being notoriously easy to get into as they want money from non scottish students who have to pay as I pointed out with Edinburgh, so even if its one of the hardest to get into in Scotland, that's not saying much.

Graduate prospect rankings rankings KCL 6th in the UK
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/universities/top-10-uk-universities-for-graduate-prospects/?entry=1

So now that we have that out the way.
Let's not even bring up the Oxford Cambridge rivalry thing, that is for another time.
Reply 57
Original post by SkyRees

I think it's quite prestigious as it's one of the Ancient universities :P
Original post by edanski
I think it's quite prestigious as it's one of the Ancient universities :P

I'm guilty of being drawn to it for that reason I think :tongue: I love ancient places, I guess it helps given my subject choice a bit :laugh:
Original post by JustPadz
Because basing your university choice on the guardian rankings is better lol k.
And why is St Andrews not in the russell group? If its as good as you say it is, surely it should be in there?
You're still not explaining what I pointed out, I pointed out that scottish universities are known for being notoriously easy to get into as they want money from non scottish students who have to pay as I pointed out with Edinburgh, so even if its one of the hardest to get into in Scotland, that's not saying much.

Graduate prospect rankings rankings KCL 6th in the UK
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/universities/top-10-uk-universities-for-graduate-prospects/?entry=1

So now that we have that out the way.
Let's not even bring up the Oxford Cambridge rivalry thing, that is for another time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, you dont like St Andrews or Scottish universities , Good for you.Bath isnt a Russell group and its a well respected university compared to other Russell group university. If being the 3rd oldest university in the English speaking world doesn't make it prestige at the very list I dont know what. 3 different rankins used in the UK place it at top 5 , it not a big deal if you adore London university but there re other respected and reputable institutions

Latest

Trending

Trending