The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

And yeah I was in £3000/year student loans but have been doing well saving for house deposit and maxed out higher interest savings accounts.
Doesn't make much sense to me to keep saving more into a cash ISA at 0.9% whilst being charged 1.25%(soon to increase) on my outstanding student debt.
Original post by Smile88egc
I was told my hospital HR and NHSE that safe working hours restrictions apply to locum work too, so max 8 consecutive shifts, minimum rest periods etc. Only thing you can opt out of is EWTD meaning you can work up to 56hrs/week on avrage instead of 48.
Hospitals probably can't stop you picking up locums that breach the new restrictions, but you're not covered by the usual trust indemnity of you take on shifts in excess of new rules. My new rota is so close to New restrictions that I will, in effect, rarely be able to locum without breaching them.

So, I'm no lawyer, but I've looked through the terms and conditions and it consistently talks about 'a doctor shall not be rostered to work more than...'. It doesn't otherwise reference locum work, except to say the thing about offering to NHS first. Other documents refer to the "rota".

So i guess it depends on whether you consider additional locum work to be a "rostered" part of your training job, or on your job's "rota". I would argue no.

If this actually affected me i'd probably be contacting the BMA to get their view.
(edited 7 years ago)
And yeah I was in £3000/year student loans but have been doing well saving for house deposit and maxed out higher interest savings accounts.
Doesn't make much sense to me to keep saving more into a cash ISA at 0.9% whilst being charged 1.25%(soon to increase) on my outstanding student debt.

True, but that 0.9% should be about to go up as brexit takes hold. edit: also help to buy ISAs should be higher than that shouldn't they? I don't know how they work.

But the bigger question: are you about to take on a mortgage then? If so then the most economical thing is to keep money in the student loan and put it instead towards having a smaller mortgage.
(edited 7 years ago)

BTW me and my partner needed to sort out our money so just done some digging. Sorry if you know this stuff already but your 0.9% comment made me think otherwise. I'm going to ask the TSR gurus in money and finance but this is my current plan:

1) Barclays Help to Buy cash ISA* - 2.27% - fill it to the max (£2400 per year per person, higher in first year) - this a) doesn't commit you to using this money to buying a home. Its just a normal ISA in that respect but b) gets the government to give you 25% extra if you do buy a home up to the value of £250,000 (£450,000 in London).

2) Next overflow: Nationwide regular saver. Pays 5%, you can deposit up to £500 per month. No requirement to pay in any amount. Not an ISA BUT as of April 2016 anyone paying the higher rate of income tax can still earn up to £500 tax free from savings (£1000 if you're a basic rate). Your earnings using this will be less than £500, so its 5% with no tax.

3) Broader options now - fixed rate bonds are offering about 1.5% for a 1 year term. Cash ISAs can pay about 1.00%. without the tax concern for larger amounts (having both a cash ISA and help to buy ISA has a couple of restrictions but its possible). Stocks and Shares ISA is another option. Easy access non-ISAs pay about 1%.

This is all current, without any increase in the BoE base rate which would likely push things higher, if it happens.

Hope that helps and if you/anyone has any comments please go ahead :smile:

*I'm probably going to go Nationwide instead - 2.00% only but they have an introductory offer applicable to me as an existing customer than makes sense to use.
(edited 7 years ago)
I was told my hospital HR and NHSE that safe working hours restrictions apply to locum work too, so max 8 consecutive shifts, minimum rest periods etc. Only thing you can opt out of is EWTD meaning you can work up to 56hrs/week on avrage instead of 48.
Hospitals probably can't stop you picking up locums that breach the new restrictions, but you're not covered by the usual trust indemnity of you take on shifts in excess of new rules. My new rota is so close to New restrictions that I will, in effect, rarely be able to locum without breaching them.

My bank timesheets already contain a declaration that I haven't worked more than 48 hours on average over the last 17 weeks.
Yeah I have already got a full HTB ISA, a S&S Isa, a full santander 123 and several higher interest current accounts. Hence the 0.9% cash ISA as I'm running out of places to get a good return on my savings.
Despite having a good deposit saved (we love in the South west & need a hefty deposit!), I won't be in a position to buy for a year or 2 yet due to personal & work circumstances, so for me it makes sense to overpay student debt a bit for now.
Also I predict bank of England base rate won't rise above 0.5% this year (if it does at all) and that savings rates will continue to be crap!
Any other F2s freaking out slightly about the fact that we'll be unemployed in less than 8 months' time? Scary stuff!
Original post by DexterM
Any other F2s freaking out slightly about the fact that we'll be unemployed in less than 8 months' time? Scary stuff!

You mean, making the same money working fewer hours through locums and using your spare time to travel?...

Not really. Have you seen how many locum jobs there are...?
Original post by DexterM

Bring it on. This job is shite anyway :yy:
Yeah I have already got a full HTB ISA, a S&S Isa, a full santander 123 and several higher interest current accounts. Hence the 0.9% cash ISA as I'm running out of places to get a good return on my savings.
Despite having a good deposit saved (we love in the South west & need a hefty deposit!), I won't be in a position to buy for a year or 2 yet due to personal & work circumstances, so for me it makes sense to overpay student debt a bit for now.
Also I predict bank of England base rate won't rise above 0.5% this year (if it does at all) and that savings rates will continue to be crap!

You've got plenty of savings huh? :wink:

The next higher interest thing for you is the LISAs which get released in April - £4,000 investment limit pa per person, probably similar rates to htb.

Mortgage rates seem to be about 3.5% atm - I guess its not unfeasible that inflation will surpass that (and that the likely mortgage rate rise in such a situation will not keep pace). Plus the longer you wait the worse sticking with student loans is likely to be. Assuming you want to be totally risk-free and not take other higher yield investment options, then fair enough i guess.

With the amount you have 'in reserve' I'd be tempted to start taking some minor risks at this stage myself though :wink:
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Has anyone done any assisting for private theatre cases and what did you get paid for it? Recently did one and it seems to work out as a lower rate than I get for NHS locums, not sure if its correct..

bear in mind it's the consultant 'doing you a favour' to get you theatre time and they otherwise being paying band 6 / 7 equivalent for a Theatre Practitioner First assistant / Surgical Practitioner if there wasn;t a JD to do it ...
Original post by nexttime
You've got plenty of savings huh? :wink:

The next higher interest thing for you is the LISAs which get released in April - £4,000 investment limit pa per person, probably similar rates to htb.

Mortgage rates seem to be about 3.5% atm - I guess its not unfeasible that inflation will surpass that (and that the likely mortgage rate rise in such a situation will not keep pace). Plus the longer you wait the worse sticking with student loans is likely to be. Assuming you want to be totally risk-free and not take other higher yield investment options, then fair enough i guess.

With the amount you have 'in reserve' I'd be tempted to start taking some minor risks at this stage myself though :wink:

You can get much better rates than that, depending on deposit size! Ours is 1.64% with a 30% deposit.
Original post by Helenia
You can get much better rates than that, depending on deposit size! Ours is 1.64% with a 30% deposit.

:ditto: 1.24% for our next house!
Ohhhhh house buying. If I were a bit younger we would have done it before having a baby (OMG Childcare costs). But now I'm going to go back LTFT we're gonna have to be savvy and compromise on buying. I really wish we lived up north but family means we need to stay in the South East.
We've just exchanged on a house using just my ltft income (which amazes me) - but the rate is 2.2% with a 25% deposit so not as good as some of you have managed! Stay at home dad solved the childcare costs initially but I think he needs to work part time for his own sanity so will have to look into options now :s-smilie:
Original post by Sarky
Ohhhhh house buying. If I were a bit younger we would have done it before having a baby (OMG Childcare costs). But now I'm going to go back LTFT we're gonna have to be savvy and compromise on buying. I really wish we lived up north but family means we need to stay in the South East.

We're trying to choose a nursery at the moment. Sooo expensive, though probably worse where you are. And so difficult to choose!
Original post by Sarky

Send him down to us... What's one more?! :tongue:

I'm en route to job interviews at 2 places today. :eek: We're going to try a both parents part time / part time Nanny / grandparents & preschool/school soon combo... But it's OK - I could always do the overnights/weekends out of hours everyone would like to urgently discuss their chronic health issues with their GP, hmmm.

#MedicMumsTemporaryThreadTakeover
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Helenia
We're trying to choose a nursery at the moment. Sooo expensive, though probably worse where you are. And so difficult to choose!

It is so much. Childcare vouchers make a little bit of a difference but not enough!

I was really worried about choosing one but found that when I walked in to the one that we went for I just knew. The others I liked but still felt really sad about sending him there but then we went into this one and it just felt right.
Original post by Helenia

We only have one that fits the requirement to be close to the station (so hubby can do drop offs and pick ups/commute into central London). A full time place would be £1500pcm.

Original post by Elles
Send him down to us... What's one more?! :tongue:

I'm en route to job interviews at 2 places today. :eek: We're going to try a both parents part time / part time Nanny / grandparents & preschool/school soon combo... But it's OK - I could always do the overnights/weekends out of hours everyone would like to urgently discuss their chronic health issues with their GP, hmmm.

#MedicMumsTemporaryThreadTakeover

He's on the tube heading your way!
Can anyone recommend a good diagnostic set (ophthalmoscope + otoscope)?

I know the usual recommendation is to not buy one as they'll be available anywhere I work, but I'll hopefully be going in to general practice and would much prefer my own set as opposed to having to keep looking for the ones that seem to disappear all the time.

As far as I've seen, the bigger brands are Keeler, Heine and Welch-Allyn. I've always found the WAs to be a little unwieldy because of their bulky handle. Realistically, I'll probably only be using the ophthalmoscope to check for papilloedema at best so I'm still wondering if I should bother with a set or just get a decent otoscope and a cheapo version of the latter..

Latest

Trending

Trending