The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SteamboatMickey
I've been in a state of shock. I went to college today and everyone was just like "congrats" and "I can't believe it". All of my teachers are so pleased for me, and my best friend (who I've known since Year 4) cried (and screamed in happiness over the phone). I don't think anyone can quite believe it.

Celebratory present? A packet of mini eggs from my mum :lol:

A huge congratulations to you.

Ive been following your journey from afar, I suspect like many, and rooting for you all the way. I'm absolutely delighted for you.
Original post by Jamwaq
Ok - stressy Mum post.

Just been trying to source a STEP tutor for my daughter to give some support following her offer for maths and apparently we've let it late and lots of people prepare for this years in advance! Is this the case for everyone , any other maths offer holders not yet started STEP or any current mathmo's who waited til last minute too?

Need to settle my nerves ......
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi

I am the father of a daughter who now has a Maths offer. On her own she started studying past papers last year. She got 1s in both Step 2 and Step 3 at the end of last year. I mention this to provide encouragement to your daughter that girls can do well on Step and it isn't only boys who succeed at Step. With my daughter she made most progress when she struggled to do the best she could do before she looked at the answers. So the moral is to advise your daughter not to look at the answers too quickly. But she does need to put a good shift in studying Step as the exams are tough. And as others have said it will not be based on the involvement of a tutor. It will be because she has done the heavy lifting of putting in the hours of doing past paper after past paper. I see some others have said she will be OK starting in January and that is true as long as she does a lot of work on Step over the next five months. I am not trying to be negative about this but the evidence is that more than 50% of offer holders fail their Step requirements and I want your daughter to be in the category that succeeds. The bottom line is working on past papers and demonstrating perseverance is the key. By the way my daughter has been asked to do Step again this year despite her previous performance!
Reply 582
Original post by RightAngle
By the way my daughter has been asked to do Step again this year despite her previous performance!

Congratulations to her (and you!) on the offer.

Not uncommon... S,1 ? And which college?
Original post by jneill
Congratulations to her (and you!) on the offer.

Not uncommon... S,1 ? And which college?

The college is "I would rather be at Oxford" and because she is still at school and took her Step exams a year early they have been reasonable and asked her to repeat the 1s in Step 2 and 3. (No S requirements) Although she got these results last year she is still very nervous about this requirement and will start her Step study regime this month! Step is tough!
Reply 584
Original post by RightAngle
The college is "I would rather be at Oxford" and because she is still at school and took her Step exams a year early they have been reasonable and asked her to repeat the 1s in Step 2 and 3. (No S requirements) Although she got these results last year she is still very nervous about this requirement and will start her Step study regime this month! Step is tough!

Interesting! And slightly strange... It's not uncommon to get an S requirement, sometimes in any paper, just to show you've kept your hand in.

STEP is indeed tough. But if she got 1,1 a year early I think she can be confident of at least repeating the feat. Good luck to her :smile:
Original post by jneill
Interesting! And slightly strange... It's not uncommon to get an S requirement, sometimes in any paper, just to show you've kept your hand in.

STEP is indeed tough. But if she got 1,1 a year early I think she can be confident of at least repeating the feat. Good luck to her :smile:

Thanks. I am sure she will try and do better than she did last year. But I am glad the College didn't mandate this!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SteamboatMickey
I've been in a state of shock. I went to college today and everyone was just like "congrats" and "I can't believe it". All of my teachers are so pleased for me, and my best friend (who I've known since Year 4) cried (and screamed in happiness over the phone). I don't think anyone can quite believe it.

Celebratory present? A packet of mini eggs from my mum :lol:

Congratulations!! I see your posts everywhere so I was definitely rooting for you. I can totally relate to this by the way. My mum gave me a single chocolate coin. I feel a bit cheated because I think I deserved the whole packet.
Reply 587
Original post by carpenoctem
Congratulations!! I see your posts everywhere so I was definitely rooting for you. I can totally relate to this by the way. My mum gave me a single chocolate coin. I feel a bit cheated because I think I deserved the whole packet.

She's keeping that in reserve for when you meet the offer.
Original post by 0arbute
no way, another vet med person! So lucky this was on the most recent page haha
Where else are you thinking of going? tbh i think it's a myth that oxbridge is so much more different socially than any other uni
what college did you get into ? x

Emmanuel, what about you? Yeah possibly although nightlife maybe not as good? Thinking of Edinburgh possibly but probably jinxed myself and won't get an offer there now!! Interview there 1st match so ages away. Where else did you apply/ thinking of going?

ah, mine's Queens. Yeah I have an interview for edinburgh for the same day as you haha just thinking whether or not to still go as I live in London so it would be a huge trek. My second choice would be for sure RVC
Reply 589
Original post by tunasushi
Hey! I got an offer for architecture at Caius :smile:

Finally!! :colondollar:

Do you take the IB?

Spoiler

Reply 590
Hold fire on buying a bicycle - "uber for bikes" is coming to Cambridge!

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/uber-bikes-scheme-coming-cambridge-12467166
Reply 591
Thank you to all who took the time to reply to my stressy Mum post, you really have put my mind at rest. We're going to scrap the tutor idea and use the advise and the links to the forum that you lovely people have given.
Thank you !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
She's keeping that in reserve for when you meet the offer.

If I meet the offer, I'm expecting Lindor :colonhash:
Original post by tunasushi
Hey! I got an offer for architecture at Caius :smile:

Hey congrats on the offer! I'm an offer holder for Med at Caius :smile:
Reply 594
Original post by carpenoctem
If I meet the offer, I'm expecting Lindor :colonhash:

Dark choc version. Obv. :smile:

(And I repped the wrong one. Doh...)
Original post by jneill
Dark choc version. Obv. :smile:

(And I repped the wrong one. Doh...)

You read my mind - I'm not one to settle for plain, old milk chocolate.

It's the thought that counts :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by audrey_lh
Conditional offer to read English at Emmanuel!
Can't believe it....

I got one for Law at Emmanuel :smile: Guess I'll see you there then
Original post by Sanaa SurnamE
Emmanuel, what about you? Yeah possibly although nightlife maybe not as good? Thinking of Edinburgh possibly but probably jinxed myself and won't get an offer there now!! Interview there 1st match so ages away. Where else did you apply/ thinking of going?

ah, mine's Queens. Yeah I have an interview for edinburgh for the same day as you haha just thinking whether or not to still go as I live in London so it would be a huge trek. My second choice would be for sure RVC

Well let me know if you do go to Edinburgh! I am from Suffolk so massive trek too but will probes just fly. See you at the Cambridge vet offer day if you're going!
Original post by annabregstein99
I got one for Law at Emmanuel :smile: Guess I'll see you there then

You guys on Emmanuel fb chat?
Original post by 0arbute
You guys on Emmanuel fb chat?

Not yet, how do I join? Does someone have to add me?

Latest

Trending

Trending