The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Christ's Admissions
Scores for Section 1 were distributed in such a way that the average applicant scored 4. So anything above that is good.

I don't think there is any straightforward way to quantify the role it played in decision-making, and we didn't use it at all in determining who received an offer at Christ's, only in determining who to interview (see earlier posts).

What sort of score out of 18 would be a 4 then? Something like 9?
Scores for Section 1 were distributed in such a way that the average applicant scored 4. So anything above that is good.

I don't think there is any straightforward way to quantify the role it played in decision-making, and we didn't use it at all in determining who received an offer at Christ's, only in determining who to interview (see earlier posts).

What was an average score in section 1&2?
Original post by vinnie99
Hi, I felt the whole process was done very smoothly. As an Economics applicant to John's there's a couple of subject and college based things I'd mention.

With the ECAA, the actual paper was a lot harder than the specimen... and I mean I got 95%ish on the specimen, and feel I would be lucky to get 75% in the actual one (although I agree with other suggestions and results on those to all applicants). I feel I wasn't the only person to feel the same way (lots of disgruntled Studentroom applicants feeling their economics applications had gone out the window when in fact it seems to have just been low scores all around). Therefore I'd suggest having a look at that, although I obviously appreciate that this will improve over time.

With regards to other stuff, the SAQ photo form is a right pain... had to covert my photo to paint and recrop it multiple times to avoid my head either looking like a stick or a tomato... and I'm not like that, honest :wink:

At John's, my interviews were both 20 minutes, which felt rather short, although I obviously appreciate time restraints etc. But in my second interview I mucked up a maths question at the start, and then spent an awful lot of time on that, and felt that due to the 20 minutes, I didn't get an opportunity to showcase my other aspects such as personal statement and awareness of books and topics and current affairs etc.. so partly my fault, but would've been nice to not feel I hadn't had time to show my potential.

But as a first time applicant scared by the prospect of an application to Cambridge, it wasn't half as bad as the Daily Mail might have made it out to be :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have heard other reservations about the ECAA, and suspect that it is likely to be reviewed ahead of the next Admissions Round (though this is also true of every other assessment, given that we are still in the "pilot phase").

20 minutes is short, I agree, but that's one of the reasons there are two interviews!
Original post by vinnie99
Just wanted to know if there was any view on my feedback? Especially the ECAA, given that seemed quite a common concern... not that the paper was hard (sort of expected that :wink: ), but the disparity between the actual paper and practice paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, sorry - see my other post (and I will pass your comments on).
Original post by Student1256
What was an average score in section 1&2?

I don't have that data, I'm afraid, since section 2 was college-marked only, in most subjects.
Original post by k.russell
What sort of score out of 18 would be a 4 then? Something like 9?

The marks were scaled so it will vary considerably by subject (and option, for those subjects which allowed candidates to choose between various fields).
Original post by whatyoullbe
Hope it is ok to repeat a question posted in the reject thread here. If not apologies and won't do it again.

There is a comment circulating in some schools that for those doing Pre-Us and considering reapplying post results, D1s in all 3 or 4 subjects are essential even though a D2 is equivalent to an A* and a D1 is higher still, and don't bother if they are just all D2s especially if the candidate is from what is considered a good school. Is there any degree of truth in that?

This seems to me like wild exaggeration.
Original post by jiksi
This is maybe not very UG-admission specific, but important nevertheless I think:
There are so many stereotypes of women-only colleges and I think giving more information (not only on their websites, but also on the university's - because many people won't even look at those colleges' websites) about why they exist and why they are important could help to challenge the often negative view, especially because there are so few women-only institutions that it might easily be the first time to stumble upon one for applicants.
I think it would be great if this could include that despite there being three female-only colleges, there are still more male students at the university as a whole - many applicants seem to think that men stand less of a chance of getting in when being pooled. I think (or hope) that could be an eye-opener for many.

I agree that the University could usefully publish more statistics relating to gender.
This seems to me like wild exaggeration.

Thank you. It did sound a bit, but good to hear that.
Original post by auburnstar
How do I contact the CAO? Do they have a particular email or should I submit an FOI?

You can e-mail [email protected] (with a standard enquiry, or an FOI - it depends how desperately you want the information).
Reply 90
I was an international applicant and flew over for interview. However, the college I applied to did not provide me with accommodation as my point of entry to the UK was from Heathrow Airport. I was thus forced to book my own hotel room with only 1.5 weeks notice. I was also not given any meals. Was hoping that in the future, priority could be given to internationals flying over to the UK for interviews.

Fortunately though, I was pooled to another college and couldn't be happier. I was really put off by the original college I applied to.

@Christ's Admissions
Original post by CT987
I was an international applicant and flew over for interview. However, the college I applied to did not provide me with accommodation as my point of entry to the UK was from Heathrow Airport. I was thus forced to book my own hotel room with only 1.5 weeks notice. I was also not given any meals. Was hoping that in the future, priority could be given to internationals flying over to the UK for interviews.

Fortunately though, I was pooled to another college and couldn't be happier. I was really put off by the original college I applied to.

@Christ's Admissions

Ah, I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the first college to which you applied. But I'm glad you are happy with the eventual outcome.
Reply 92
Original post by CT987

@Christ's Admissions

That sounds quite harsh... which college?

The average applicant scored 4! I can't remember what is what out of, but 4 seems remarkably low!
One of my interviewers showed me the marking sheet and it said 8 on it, what score would this roughly correspond to?
Original post by WhiteScythe
The average applicant scored 4! I can't remember what is what out of, but 4 seems remarkably low!

*Scaled* marks run from 1-9. That's not the same as the raw marks.
Original post by WhiteScythe
One of my interviewers showed me the marking sheet and it said 8 on it, what score would this roughly correspond to?

It depends which assessment you did, and whether it was the scaled or raw mark.
Hi, I have 2 questions to ask:
Firstly, do you know the average number of A*s for history of art applicants?
Secondly, if I take A level maths a year early and get an A*, what impact will this have on an application?
Thanks in advance
Hi.

As the parent of an applicant I would like to say that both my son and I have been very impressed with the admissions procedure. It has been incredibly thorough and, regardless of the eventual outcome (he is a re-interviewee), my son has gained a great deal from the experience. In particular we have been impressed by the interview process. My son is naturally shy and so the interview stage was always going to be tricky - particularly as he had started to really care about the outcome and was extremely nervous - but every effort was made to put him at ease at all his interviews and he left each one with the impression that his interviewers had genuinely wanted him to do well.

A couple of things might be worth noting as feedback. In contrast to an earlier poster, my son found section 2 of the NSAA very different from the sample paper in terms of time constraints. That is, he completed the sample questions within the time and scored highly (he asked his teacher to check them) but in the real thing he barely had time to complete half of section 2. This probably simply shows that these tests are always subjective but I thought it worth mentioning.

Secondly, the College where my son was re-interviewed had Student helpers guiding the candidates and chatting to them in the waiting room whereas his original preference College did not. He found that chatting to the current students really helped to calm his nerves before his re-interview and he was better able to ‘be himself’.

Thank you and the other AT’s for contributing to TSR - your advice and support has been invaluable to students (and anxious parents!) Thanks as well to @jnell and @vincrows for all their sage words.
I don't have that data, I'm afraid, since section 2 was college-marked only, in most subjects.

Oh that's fine, what about section 1 only? If you answer in scaled marks could you please specify what the scale mark would translate to? thank you :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending