The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

University of Leicester accommodation semesters?

I received an unconditional from Leicester so I'm starting to look at accommodation and I'm a bit confused by the '24 week semester' bit. I know Leicester works in two semesters so logically I'd be paying it twice? But then I'm paying for 48 weeks and apparently, uni years are only like 40? Really, I just want to know how it all works.
Original post by charleelewis
I received an unconditional from Leicester so I'm starting to look at accommodation and I'm a bit confused by the '24 week semester' bit. I know Leicester works in two semesters so logically I'd be paying it twice? But then I'm paying for 48 weeks and apparently, uni years are only like 40? Really, I just want to know how it all works.

Hey Charlie,

Congratulations on receiving an offer!!

So the University of Leicester works in 2 semesters and 3 terms.

When it comes to accommodation they work termly, so you will be paying for accommodation in 3 instalments. One in Autumn term, another in the spring term and the last one in the summer term.

Contract lengths are dependent on the type of accommodation you get. Some of the contracts lengths are longer than the University's term times (for example 42 weeks contract lengths), but this is so students are given the opportunity to stay in Leicester a little bit longer during the summer if they want to.

So one of the differences between a 42 weeks contract and a 39 weeks contract is the date you are expected to move out at the end of your contract, which is a little bit later in a 42 weeks contract.

I hope this answers your question.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to quote me.

Antonia :smile:
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by University of Leicester
Hey Charlie,

Congratulations on receiving an offer!!

So the University of Leicester works in 2 semesters and 3 terms.

When it comes to accommodation they work termly, so you will be paying for accommodation in 3 instalments. One in Autumn term, another in the spring term and the last one in the summer term.

Contract lengths are dependent on the type of accommodation you get. Some of the contracts lengths are longer than the University's term times (for example 42 weeks contract lengths), but this is so students are given the opportunity to stay in Leicester a little bit longer during the summer if they want to.

So one of the differences between a 42 weeks contract and a 39 weeks contract is the date you are expected to move out at the end of your contract, which is a little bit later in a 42 weeks contract.

I hope this answers your question.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to quote me.

Hey,

I'm putting a leicester as my firm this year and I'm just wondering if you know when the applications for housing will be out/available?

Shannon
Original post by ShanBella
Hey,

I'm putting a leicester as my firm this year and I'm just wondering if you know when the applications for housing will be out/available?

Shannon

Hey Shannon,

Congratulations on your offer! what course will you be studying?

Accommodation applications will open around February/ March. When the applications open the University will send you an email telling you this, with a link to the online form so that you can start your application.

Hey Shannon,

Congratulations on your offer! what course will you be studying?

Accommodation applications will open around February/ March. When the applications open the University will send you an email telling you this, with a link to the online form so that you can start your application.

Hey,

Thank you! I'm very excited- I'll be doing Psychology.
& oh okay that's great thank you! I'll be looking out for that email. Do you know if I apply soon after it opens, if that increases my chances of getting my first choice accom?
Original post by ShanBella
Hey,

Thank you! I'm very excited- I'll be doing Psychology.
& oh okay that's great thank you! I'll be looking out for that email. Do you know if I apply soon after it opens, if that increases my chances of getting my first choice accom?

No problem!

Ohh exciting, I studied psychology at Leicester :smile:

Yeah as soon as the applications open, The earlier you apply the better your chances are of getting the room type/location you wanted. Generally the accommodation office tries to give you your first choice, but then again it does depend on the availability of the room type.

I hope this helps.

No problem!

Ohh exciting, I studied psychology at Leicester :smile:

Yeah as soon as the applications open, The earlier you apply the better your chances are of getting the room type/location you wanted. Generally the accommodation office tries to give you your first choice, but then again it does depend on the availability of the room type.

I hope this helps.

Thanks that's really helpful- I'm going to message you as I have just one more question but it's quite long, hope you don't mind :smile:

Shannon
My son received a unconditional offer for medicine,looking for accommodation,where do most medicine students stay.City living seemed to be near to centre of medicine,any information appreciated.
Original post by S1966
My son received a unconditional offer for medicine,looking for accommodation,where do most medicine students stay.City living seemed to be near to centre of medicine,any information appreciated.

Hey,

Congratulations to your son!

Medicine students can stay in any accommodation site that they want, it really comes down to personal preference. If your Son prefers to be closer to the Centre for Medicine, City Living accommodation would be ideal as it is the closest site to campus.

In City Living accommodation we have Opal Court, Nixon Court, Freeman's Common and Mary Gee.

Opal Court is the closest accommodation building to the Centre for Medicine (Less than 5 mins away)- the rooms available here are sngle en-suites and studio flats.

Nixon Court and Freeman's Common are about a 10 mins walk away from the Centre for Medicine. The room types available in Nixon Court is single bedroom with washbasin, single en-suites and one bedroom flats. The room types available in Freeman's Common are single bedrooms. Then finally Mary Gee which only has single bedrooms, this is about 20 minutes walk from the Centre for Medicine. This accommodation site is halfway between Oadby and Campus.

I should also mention all the rooms in City Living accommodation is Self Catered. So if you are looking for catered accommodation Oadby Student Village would be a better option, as it has the facilities to provide meals to students throughout the week and weekend. Oadby has all the different room types available.

if you would like more information for the different accommodation types, I have provided the link for the accommodation website- https://rooms.le.ac.uk/student_portal/

I hope this helps!

If you have any further questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending