The Student Room Group

Accused, Removed from Project, Sick with UoW's Injustice, Very Depressed :'(

Hello People,

At the beginning of the academic year my supposed supervisor had removed me from his project.

First I received an email from the Head of Conduct and Appeals and had an informal meeting with her, when she informed me that my supervisor no longer wished to have any contact with me and had made some false allegations against me. I have tried to explain to everyone: the Head of CaA, Student's Union, Head of the School, Dean of Students, to no avail. :frown:

This has led to a major depressive episode this year and two suicidal attempts in early November.

Please, this is not a troll post, I really do not know to whom to turn to for justice. It's like the Uni is deaf to what I say. :frown:

So I ask you people, how can I find an answer to all this? I was so happy to have that project since it is related to the area I want to follow professionally but I am simply so disheartened with UoW :frown:.

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by prosperity
Hello People,

At the beginning of the academic year my supposed supervisor had removed me from his project.

First I received an email from the Head of Conduct and Appeals and had an informal meeting with her, when she informed me that my supervisor no longer wished to have any contact with me and had made some false allegations against me. I have tried to explain to everyone: the Head of CaA, Student's Union, Head of the School, Dean of Students, to no avail. :frown:

This has led to a major depressive episode this year and two suicidal attempts in early November.

Please, this is not a troll post, I really do not know to whom to turn to for justice. It's like the Uni is deaf to what I say. :frown:

So I ask you people, how can I find an answer to all this? I was so happy to have that project since it is related to the area I want to follow professionally but I am simply so disheartened with UoW :frown:.

Thank you.

What were the accusations? It seems that they know he lied, so what's the problem? Can't you appeal? Also no offense but it's January now, not sure if there's anything you can do after such a long time.
Original post by Ciel.
What were the accusations? It seems that they know he lied, so what's the problem? Can't you appeal? Also no offense but it's January now, not sure if there's anything you can do after such a long time.

I do not wish to reveal the accusations but I was presented in a manner that was not me at all.

I have raised a complaint against the situation but none within the Conduct and Appeals Unit have considered it, and only his version of the story was assumed the true one.

I have mitigated my project module so I don't worry whether it's January now.

There's simply no justice in this University, if none of the Deans do anything I will withdraw as I won't risk another suicidal episode :frown:.
Reply 3
I do not wish to reveal the accusations but I was presented in a manner that was not me at all.

I have raised a complaint against the situation but none within the Conduct and Appeals Unit have considered it, and only his version of the story was assumed the true one.

There's simply no justice in this University, if none of the Deans do anything I will withdraw as I won't risk another suicidal episode :frown:.

Well, without knowing what the accusations actually are, it's kinda impossible to give you any real advice. What sort of evidence was provided by your supervisor?

You keep going on about justice, but your situation really needs to be independently assessed, so someone can make sense of your situation. That way you cna be told the merits ior weaknesses of your case and how best to present it. You arent the best person to do this.
Original post by Ciel.
Well, without knowing what the accusations actually are, it's kinda impossible to give you any real advice. What sort of evidence was provided by your supervisor?

I do not know. He simply presented me in a manner that was not me. I was told not to speak to other staff about it (i.e. not seek help/guidance in any way).

This is what has baffled and infuriated me. What evidence does he have? They just believed everything he said.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
You keep going on about justice, but your situation really needs to be independently assessed, so someone can make sense of your situation. That way you cna be told the merits ior weaknesses of your case and how best to present it. You arent the best person to do this.

I know, that is why I asked for info on how to handle it and seek a solution. The Uni people will just side with the staff and proclaim the student as the one in fault.

Thank you for your post.
Reply 7
I do not know. He simply presented me in a manner that was not me. I was told not to speak to other staff about it (i.e. not seek in any way).

This is what has baffled and infuriated me. What evidence does he have? They just believed everything he said.

This is really strange... But it sounds pretty serious. I don't know what to advise you, though, other than checking what their formal appeal procedure is and making a formal complaint against him. I don't think you really want to continue working under him, though.
I know, that is why I asked for info on how to handle it and seek a solution. The Uni people will just side with the staff and proclaim the student as the one in fault.

Thank you for your post.

I spent a long time suggesting where you couild get help yesterday. Its impossible to give any advice without someone assessing your situation. I dont know if your case is weak or strong, its not clear what the dispute is about other than your behaviour. All that would be deal with by seeing an advisor and them assessing all the evidence. You arent in the right frame of mind and probably lack the skill or exeprtise to do so.

There are rules and prcedures. There is evidence. There are ways of constructing your argument. At the moment you make lots of claims and wont say what its about. Impossible to advise on. Go and see someone.
Original post by Ciel.
This is really strange... But it sounds pretty serious. I don't know what to advise you, though, other than checking what their formal appeal procedure is and making a formal complaint against him. I don't think you really want to continue working under him, though.

I have made a formal complaint but the outcome was not to my satisfaction. It is in fact a very strange situation that is why I posted here. I will be seeing the Dean of Students and Dean of the Faculty next week and see what can be done about it.

They have kept my semester 2 module with him (not a project, just teaching material) when they warned me that I could be removed from that too.

It isn't really that I want to work with him, more so to get an answer on his actions and be given the project of choice, I really don't mind working with someone else but he is the only one offering the project on that field. I just try to work things out.

Thank you for your comment.
I spent a long time suggesting where you couild get help yesterday. Its impossible to give any advice without someone assessing your situation. I dont know if your case is weak or strong, its not clear what the dispute is about other than your behaviour. All that would be deal with by seeing an advisor and them assessing all the evidence. You arent in the right frame of mind and probably lack the skill or exeprtise to do so.

There are rules and prcedures. There is evidence. There are ways of constructing your argument. At the moment you make lots of claims and wont say what its about. Impossible to advise on. Go and see someone.

I am really appreciative of your time and effort to post those links yesterday. I will be phoning the line tomorrow (Thursday) and see what they would tell. I feel very uncomfortable to share on what the accusations are about but they regard to me being presented in a manner by him that it is not really what I am. I have tried numerous time to explain to the higher-ups but none listens to my version of the story.

There was not a disciplinary meeting, only an informal one with the Head of Conduct and Appeals where I had presented my side (she even quoted parts of it in an email) but her outcome was to my supervisor's side. This biased action is what make me sick and disgusted to be a student in this University. They completely dismiss what I have told them and adhere to their own 'instinct' on what is right despite the argument raised. :frown:

Thank you for your post :smile:
Why not talk to one of the charities hat has expertise with your mental disability and maybe they can help you resolve matters or get you to focus on the right areas. Im not asking what the issues are, just tbhhat in my experience theres a lot that doesnt make sense and a lot of things that need to be checked out to get a proper grip on the situation and tell you how best to act in your own interests. You probably arent he best person to do that.
Why not talk to one of the charities hat has expertise with your mental disability and maybe they can help you resolve matters or get you to focus on the right areas. Im not asking what the issues are, just tbhhat in my experience theres a lot that doesnt make sense and a lot of things that need to be checked out to get a proper grip on the situation and tell you how best to act in your own interests. You probably arent he best person to do that.

Dear 999tigger,

Thank you for taking your time to post and help me somehow. I have an appointment with the Dean of Students tomorrow about the Stage 2 level my complaint has reached. From his email to me it is clear what and where he aims to direct our meeting. I just cannot withstand this injustice in the University. I have decided to withdraw with a heavy heart :frown: I cannot go through another suicidal episode. Today I had the caspules in my mouth a spat them out. :frown: I don't think that will happen next time. This situation has made me feel so languid. :frown: I have phoned the studentdisabilityline today but no one answered the phone.

I don't think there's anyone who can help me in my situation. Thank you for your attempts to alleviate my position. It's been truly heartening to see genuine people to help.

Thank you. Best regards, prosperity
(edited 6 years ago)
Dear 999tigger,

Thank you for taking your time to post and help me somehow. I have an appointment with the Dean of Students tomorrow about the Stage 2 level my complaint has reached. From his email to me it is clear what and where he aims to direct our meeting. I just cannot withstand this injustice in the University of Wolverhampton. I have decided to withdraw with a heavy heart :frown: I cannot go through another suicidal episode. Today I had the caspules in my mouth a spat them out. :frown: I don't think that will happen next time. This situation has made me feel so languid. :frown: I have phoned the studentdisabilityline today but no one answered the phone.

I don't think there's anyone who can help me in my situation. Thank you for your attempts to alleviate my position. It's been truly heartening to see genuine people to help.

Thank you. Best regards, prosperity

Hard for me to comment as you say nothing except the injustice of the situation. You arent the best person to assess your situation, hence you should have taken advice. If you are in the situation where you are swallowing capsules then you really need to speak to the mental health team or the GP.

If the claim was wrong or there was a misunderstanding, then withdrawing from the course doesnt really resolve the issue. You should have taken the advice of your tutor and gone back to the SU then sought a second opinion.

If you were unhappy with what the Dean was looking at then you should have replied that was the case and asked why he wouldnt be looking at the areas you wished to discuss. It is hard to say whether he would be correct or not without looking at the rules as to what they wish to review. If you dont go to the appeal meeting, then this will prevent you going to the OIA.

Why not speak to them now and run it past them on the basis of you attending the appeal meeting and the outcome not being to your liking. You should really ahve got a student rep as a minimum to help you.

You should also have persisted with disability rights. E-mail them as well.

If you feel ist best for you to withdraw from Uni, then that is your choice, but you dont sound in the best frame of mind to know how to deal with things. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest