The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by codelyoko
Hello, i'm a foreigner and i don't really know which universities are considered prestigious in the UK.

I know that Oxbridge is great, but what about King's college, or Edinburgh for example ?

What are the universities people say "wow you study there" when you say it ?

I know it's childish but i want to know.

The most prestigious unvieriites in the UK except Oxbridge are LSE, Imperial, UCL and Durham. The others aren't really 'prestigious'
Original post by JooW
High rankings do not = high prestige. Outside of academia I think 9/10 people would be impressed by a uni such as Manchester and no-one would know St Andrews

lol Manchester isn't prestigious, St Andrews is way more well known for being good
Reply 82
Original post by Ladbants
lol Manchester isn't prestigious, St Andrews is way more well known for being good

No sh*t. To us, who have scoured through league tables and stats, St Andrews is amazing. But to that friend that did an apprenticeship or your nan for example? St. Andrews isn't known at all. IMO prestige ranges out of the academic world into general society much like Harvard, Oxbridge and Edinburgh have. The only people that give unis like St. Andrews a 'wow' are academics and employers that are also educated
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
That's up to Stanford (and Mr Knight)... I imagine if the program is successful (they are in start-up with it at the moment) they may consider expanding it. Durham also isn't on the event list.

But that doesn't preclude applications from anywhere. That's just a list of events, not "qualifying" universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Considering they visited Cambridge and LSE in one day, they could have easily also visited King's College (and maybe Warwick) if those universities were targeted by Stanford.

They're obviously hosting events at those universities because they want to receive more applications from students studying there which suggests that they're more desirable.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by CompSci16
Considering they visited Cambridge and LSE in one day, they could have easily also visited King's College (and maybe Warwick) if those universities were targeted by Stanford.

They're obviously hosting events at those universities because they want to receive more applications from students studying there which suggests that they're more desirable.

OR, just perhaps, if you are at any London (or nearby) university you go along to the session at LSE or the other one at Imperial...

By the same token they aren't visiting Harvard or MIT either. But I doubt its because they don't consider them "prestigious" or worth targeting... they just haven't scheduled all 200 events yet.
Original post by JooW
No sh*t. To us, who have scoured through league tables and stats, St Andrews is amazing. But to that friend that did an apprenticeship or your nan for example? St. Andrews isn't known at all. IMO prestige ranges out of the academic world into general society much like Harvard, Oxbridge and Edinburgh have. The only people that give unis like St. Andrews a 'wow' are academics and employers that are also educated

That's like saying that Princeton or Harvard aren't that prestigious because average people haven't heard of them. By prestige, people mean the prestige among educated people and employers and academics, not among my mate Dave down at the pub
Original post by JooW
your nan

this is right. Your nan don't give a **** and nor, really, should you. It's a nutty echo chamber on TSR endlessly arguing the odds about the difference between Bath and Exeter or Warwick and Durham or whatnot.

There are 5 broad bands of universities that were fixed in employer minds in 1989, which is when they were applying.
Reply 87
Original post by Ladbants
That's like saying that Princeton or Harvard aren't that prestigious because average people haven't heard of them. By prestige, people mean the prestige among educated people and employers and academics, not among my mate Dave down at the pub

I don't know anyone who wouldn't of heard of Princeton and Harvard.
Reply 88
Original post by cambio wechsel
this is right. Your nan don't give a **** and nor, really, should you. It's a nutty echo chamber on TSR endlessly arguing the odds about the difference between Bath and Exeter or Warwick and Durham or whatnot.

There are 5 broad bands of universities that were fixed in employer minds in 1989, which is when they were applying.

EXACTLY. It does not matter where you got your degree from for the most part. If your employer went to Manchester Met, for example, they'd probably hire another Met graduate over someone from Midtier unis such as Liverpool and Nottingham
Original post by JooW
If your employer went to Manchester Met, for example, they'd probably hire another Met graduate over someone from Midtier unis such as Liverpool and Nottingham

If you had only said "...such as King's and Nottingham" we could have heard the screaming through the internet.
Original post by JooW
I don't know anyone who wouldn't of heard of Princeton and Harvard.

Most people probably haven't heard of them in the UK; if you asked an average Brit to name universities they'd probably only get as far as Oxford, Cambridge, and any local unis.
Original post by jneill
OR, just perhaps, if you are at any London (or nearby) university you go along to the session at LSE or the other one at Imperial...

By the same token they aren't visiting Harvard or MIT either. But I doubt its because they don't consider them "prestigious" or worth targeting... they just haven't scheduled all 200 events yet.

That logic would only hold if they held one London campus event, but no they chose to visit three different universities in London. These events are targeted at students studying at those universities not the whole city, or do you really think they host an event at UCL hoping students from London Met will also turn up?

And no, not by the same token, because I never mentioned American universities. They have already planned all their UK campus visits whereas they havent planned all American visits yet.
You should look at It department by department bas is as They are all different.
Reply 93
That logic would only hold if they held one London campus event, but no they chose to visit three different universities in London. These events are targeted at students studying at those universities not the whole city, or do you really think they host an event at UCL hoping students from London Met will also turn up?

If a student from London Met wanted to go - why not?

And they are visiting two different London universities on different days. Not 3.

They are visiting Oxford twice. Is that because it's twice as prestigious as Cambridge? No it's because they already have an established program with Oxford (BOSP).

Event venues =/= more "prestigious"
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JustPadz
Because basing your university choice on the guardian rankings is better lol k.
And why is St Andrews not in the russell group? If its as good as you say it is, surely it should be in there?
You're still not explaining what I pointed out, I pointed out that scottish universities are known for being notoriously easy to get into as they want money from non scottish students who have to pay as I pointed out with Edinburgh, so even if its one of the hardest to get into in Scotland, that's not saying much.

Graduate prospect rankings rankings KCL 6th in the UK
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/universities/top-10-uk-universities-for-graduate-prospects/?entry=1

So now that we have that out the way.
Let's not even bring up the Oxford Cambridge rivalry thing, that is for another time.

I think you are confusing Russell Group being synonymous with quality. With universities like Queen Mary, Queen's University Belfast, Newcastle and Liverpool in it, it really doesnt mean as much as you make it out to be.

Edinburgh and St Andrews are more competitive to get into than King's.
Reply 95

And no, not by the same token, because I never mentioned American universities. They have already planned all their UK campus visits whereas they havent planned all American visits yet.

Oh and:

Most popular UK universities for American students (by total number of students):
#1 St Andrews (1,535 students)
#2 Edinburgh (1,275)
#3 Oxford (1,220)
#4 Westminster (1,035)
#5 UCL (965)
#6 LSE (595)
#7 Cambridge (580)
#8 KCL (545)
#9 Glasgow (445)
#10 UAL (355)

Highlighting Stanford event venues. Perhaps they should have held one at Westminster rather than Imperial...
Reply 96
Original post by C_Richards99
Edinburgh and St Andrews are more competitive to get into than King's.

I hate The Telegraph's image-based listicles.
Somewhat course-dependent: though Oxbridge is inherently impressive, Law at Bristol or MORSE at Warwick would likely confer greater prestige than a non-flagship course at LSE or Imperial, while attending either of the latter for Economics and Physics respectively will in turn elicit a more favourable reaction than, say, Geography at Oxford.
Original post by jneill
If a student from London Met wanted to go - why not?

And they are visiting two different London universities on different days. Not 3.

They are visiting Oxford twice. Is that because it's twice as prestigious as Cambridge? No it's because they already have an established program with Oxford (BOSP).

Nope. They are visiting Oxford twice because it coincides with the Careers Fair they have on Saturday - note that they usually host no events in the weekend. Nowhere on their website do they that they visit Oxford twice because of the BOSP program, where did you get this idea from?

They visited UCL on the 17th and are going to visit LSE on the 19th and Imperial on the 20th. Three different universities on three different days.

Because realistically speaking, a student from London Met does not have the academic calibre to gain admission to Stanford. These events have limited spaces, why waste a space to an applicant who does not have a credible chance for admission over one who does?

Original post by jneill
Oh and:

Most popular UK universities for American students (by total number of students):
#1 St Andrews (1,535 students)
#2 Edinburgh (1,275)
#3 Oxford (1,220)
#4 Westminster (1,035)
#5 UCL (965)
#6 LSE (595)
#7 Cambridge (580)
#8 KCL (545)
#9 Glasgow (445)
#10 UAL (355)

Highlighting Stanford event venues. Perhaps they should have held one at Westminster rather than Imperial...

This doesn't strengthen your argument. If they chose where to recruit students based on how many Americans are there, then (according to your logic) they would have visited King's over Imperial. But they didn't.

Personally I'm surprised you would think so.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 99
Personally I'm surprised

Ain't life full of surprises. It's great.

Latest

Trending

Trending