The Student Room Group

can someone help me make a plan

In a sticky life situation
Need to self teach A level sociology in 5 months
Im good at writing essays and like the subject, I think I can do it!
How should I revise?
I cant F**** this up
Im scared :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by Mvpmb
In a sticky life situation
Need to self teach A level sociology in 5 months
Im good at writing essays and like the subject, I think I can do it!
How should I revise?
I cant F**** this up
Im scared :frown:

Okeee so I don`t do sociology alevel but I can give you a plan to self teach yourself bcs that`s kinda what I`m doing since most of my teachers can`t teach.

Step 1: seriously, don`t think of it as a screw up. You honestly are NOT in as bad a situation as you think bcs I have to do the same thing and five months is more than enough time :wink: Your mindset/attitude has a massive role in this.

Step 2: now that step 1 is out of the way, make a timetable of what topics you`re going to cover on each week. Be realistic but make sure you finish studying the topics and understand them THOROUGHLY. Research your spec online and make notes on each of the topics. Write essays for the topics and sit past papers after you`ve learnt all the content

Step 3: If you really don`t understand a concept, troubleshoot immediately because it can deffo build up. Maybe speak to a school sociology teacher and try to get them to explain it? If the teachers aren`t good enough, try to research it yourself but whatever you do, make sure you don`t leave out topics (pretty obvious but its easy to get sidetracked with these things)

Tbh the most important thing is that you plan a realistic timetable that you can stick to and focus on getting quality revision. You can revise for a solid hour and completely understand a concept or something or you can get 5 hours of "revision" without really getting anything done.

Speaking of getting things done, what works for me is not to focus on getting physical things done with revision (haha) but rather trying to get it into my brain. I`m not gonna have notes in the exam, I`ll only have my brain so its no use making notes if it doesnt get the info into my brain.

I hope I helped despite not doing sociology :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Mimi9335
Okeee so I don`t do sociology alevel but I can give you a plan to self teach yourself bcs that`s kinda what I`m doing since most of my teachers can`t teach.

Step 1: seriously, don`t think of it as a screw up. You honestly are NOT in as bad a situation as you think bcs I have to do the same thing and five months is more than enough time :wink: Your mindset/attitude has a massive role in this.

Step 2: now that step 1 is out of the way, make a timetable of what topics you`re going to cover on each week. Be realistic but make sure you finish studying the topics and understand them THOROUGHLY. Research your spec online and make notes on each of the topics. Write essays for the topics and sit past papers after you`ve learnt all the content

Step 3: If you really don`t understand a concept, troubleshoot immediately because it can deffo build up. Maybe speak to a school sociology teacher and try to get them to explain it? If the teachers aren`t good enough, try to research it yourself but whatever you do, make sure you don`t leave out topics (pretty obvious but its easy to get sidetracked with these things)

Tbh the most important thing is that you plan a realistic timetable that you can stick to and focus on getting quality revision. You can revise for a solid hour and completely understand a concept or something or you can get 5 hours of "revision" without really getting anything done.

Speaking of getting things done, what works for me is not to focus on getting physical things done with revision (haha) but rather trying to get it into my brain. I`m not gonna have notes in the exam, I`ll only have my brain so its no use making notes if it doesnt get the info into my brain.

I hope I helped despite not doing sociology :biggrin:

Thanks a lot!

Yeah my main probem so far has been trying to do so many topics in one week i achieve nothing

Overall i Have around 16 weeks and 10 topics to do

I can cram a topic in a couple days, do it extensively over 2
I think the mid point is 1 topic a week, for 10 weeks, then spend the nxt 6 weeks re revising/craming

Focus on seizing each topic each weak !

I got an A* in politics, So i believe in my ability, the time just scares me

What A level you tryna do ?

Good Luck!

PS. What would you think of doing two topics a week?

I think 1 topic a week = 1 half hour a day
2 would be 2-3 hours

Difficult, but possible
Would defiinitely calm my nevers to get more done early on, but probably unwise
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Mvpmb
Thanks a lot!

Yeah my main probem so far has been trying to do so many topics in one week i achieve nothing

Overall i Have around 16 weeks and 10 topics to do

I can cram a topic in a couple days, do it extensively over 2
I think the mid point is 1 topic a week, for 10 weeks, then spend the nxt 6 weeks re revising/craming

Focus on seizing each topic each weak !

I got an A* in politics, So i believe in my ability, the time just scares me

What A level you tryna do ?

Good Luck!

PS. What would you think of doing two topics a week?

I think 1 topic a week = 1 half hour a day
2 would be 2-3 hours

Difficult, but possible
Would defiinitely calm my nevers to get more done early on, but probably unwise

I think 2 topics a week would be a really good idea. So 2-3 days for each topic. And then like you said the last 6 weeks you can spend revising it.

Yes! If you got an A* in politics you can definitely do this its not far off at all. It`s very possible so there`s nothing to worry about if you stick to your timetable and focus on the content.

You could do more early on and then revisit it nearer the time because you would have learnt it twice rather than learning it once nearer the time? That always works well with content heavy subjects so yep 2 topics a week is good. And 2-3 hrs a day is actually not that much if you think about it so it wont feel bad. Also, you`ll have weekends if you have any major struggles that require more time ~

If you dedicate 3 days per topic, do you think that would work for you?

I`m trying to self teach myself half of my biology course (very bad teacher) and my entire chemistry course :/ Although it`s not that bad actually I deffo think its do-able. Last year when I relied solely on their nonexistent teaching I was getting Es (only AS content as well) but now that I`ve taught myself (AS and A2)I`m sitting on a B. I still am working towards that A* though XD
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Mimi9335
I think 2 topics a week would be a really good idea. So 2-3 days for each topic. And then like you said the last 6 weeks you can spend revising it.

Yes! If you got an A* in politics you can definitely do this its not far off at all. It`s very possible so there`s nothing to worry about if you stick to your timetable and focus on the content.

You could do more early on and then revisit it nearer the time because you would have learnt it twice rather than learning it once nearer the time? That always works well with content heavy subjects so yep 2 topics a week is good. And 2-3 hrs a day is actually not that much if you think about it so it wont feel bad. Also, you`ll have weekends if you have any major struggles that require more time ~

If you dedicate 3 days per topic, do you think that would work for you?

I`m trying to self teach myself half of my biology course (very bad teacher) and my entire chemistry course :/ Although it`s not that bad actually I deffo think its do-able. Last year when I relied solely on their nonexistent teaching I was getting Es (only AS content as well) but now that I`ve taught myself (AS and A2)I`m sitting on a B. I still am working towards that A* though XD

I DID BIOLOGY AND CHEMISTRY TOO!

Veryy difficult subjects, but you can do it!

Use a guy called
E-rintoul

Hes on youtube, makes very helpful videos

Also, don't make the mistake I did and work too hard

I got an A* in my biology mocks, but stressed out and did too much work and dropped to a B, big mistake
Particularly for chemistry, quality over quantity!

I got a C in chemistry because I spent most of my time making notes Without making an effort to understand them
Reply 5
Original post by Mvpmb
I DID BIOLOGY AND CHEMISTRY TOO!

Veryy difficult subjects, but you can do it!

Use a guy called
E-rintoul

Hes on youtube, makes very helpful videos

Also, don't make the mistake I did and work too hard

I got an A* in my biology mocks, but stressed out and did too much work and dropped to a B, big mistake
Particularly for chemistry, quality over quantity!

I got a C in chemistry because I spent most of my time making notes Without making an effort to understand them

I will check him out, thank you!
And I figured that out towards the end of last year that the harder I work the lower my grades go :/ sounds counter-intuitive but it`s true.

I didnt understand stuff but I was still doing all my hw instead of focusing on getting the content understood.

Like you said, cut out unnecessary work and focus on making sure you know what you need to.

I started off with Ds for bio and chem (start of yr 12) and was working so hard. But I chilled about it during study leave (it was a risk I know) and learnt the content but only did about an hour a day for each subject and ended up with a B for biology and a B for chem! I know it`s not super good like an A or A* but seen as in about a month I managed to go from 2 Ds to 2 Bs I know I am capable :3

And now for chem that I`m taking that approach I am moving towards an A :biggrin:

At this rate, I should get A*s for the sciences in the real thing. English lit on the other hand I should be fine, it`s mostly memory work and knowing context and stuff. Being creative also helps.

We can definitely do this!!! Confidence is as important as preparation :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest