The Student Room Group
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website

Maintenance Loan doesn't cover accomadation.

Im going into my first year of uni and im worried. My maintenance loan won't cover my accomadation fees. I will only get £3,928 because my parents earn alot but they will not be supporting me in anyway financially. I am happy to get a part time job and i am currently saving whatever i can but i have no idea what i am going to do. Help?
I will be the same in the sense that I will get the minimum maintenance loan and it wont even cover my accommodation, but I'm lucky that my parents are able to give me a small amount of financial support.
In some cases you can get more if you are classed as being independent from your parents, but to qualify for this you would have to meet one of the following: been supporting yourself for at least 3 years, not in contact with your parents, aged 25 or older, you're married or your parents have passed away.
Obviously I'm not aware of your situation, but unfortunately unless you meet one of these criteria, there is nothing you can do to get a larger loan from SFE.
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by jemmaaa0853
I will be the same in the sense that I will get the minimum maintenance loan and it wont even cover my accommodation, but I'm lucky that my parents are able to give me a small amount of financial support.
In some cases you can get more if you are classed as being independent from your parents, but to qualify for this you would have to meet one of the following: been supporting yourself for at least 3 years, not in contact with your parents, aged 25 or older, you're married or your parents have passed away.
Obviously I'm not aware of your situation, but unfortunately unless you meet one of these criteria, there is nothing you can do to get a larger loan from SFE.

I live with both my parents and always have. They just can't afford to give me any money which i understand, i just don't think it's fair that I get lower because my parents earn a certain amount which i wont be touching.
Original post by Ninauni
I live with both my parents and always have. They just can't afford to give me any money which i understand, i just don't think it's fair that I get lower because my parents earn a certain amount which i wont be touching.

I know, I feel the same. It sucks.
Original post by Ninauni
Im going into my first year of uni and im worried. My maintenance loan won't cover my accomadation fees. I will only get £3,928 because my parents earn alot but they will not be supporting me in anyway financially. I am happy to get a part time job and i am currently saving whatever i can but i have no idea what i am going to do. Help?

Check to see if your uni offers scholarships
I know many people in the same situation. I wonder if you've tried seeing if UoA offer any other financial help or scholarships? My uni certainly has means-tested bursaries and other funds to help financially struggling students.

Anyway, most students in these situations are forced to take up a part-time job. Many of my friends work in retail, call centres etc alongside their studies. Doing 15 hours a week with studies is manageable.

Also, if your parents earn a lot, like you say, why can't they help out with something at least? It's a bit unreasonable imo, unless they are struggling financially.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ninauni

They won't be feeding you so they should give you something. Do they give you lifts etc?

Have a serious chat about the costs they won't have when you are away.
Just work full time over summer. Problem sorted.
i have a problem too. i am redoing my first year due to missing semester 1 from personal reasons.
anyway i just checked my SFE account and it said i was only entitled to £3928.00, but i live with only one parent who's on every possible benefit and she earns less than £16,000 each year so why am i being given the minimum loan!?
Last year i received £8550.00 which is the correct amount for the annual household income and that income hasn't significantly changed so what is going on? There has to be some mistake...

Also the sending financial evidence forms section of the 'to-do-list' on my SFE is no longer there or available but i haven't sent this years financial information so wtf is going on and why is this happening?
Reply 9
Original post by mattparis-98
i have a problem too. i am redoing my first year due to missing semester 1 from personal reasons.
anyway i just checked my SFE account and it said i was only entitled to £3928.00, but i live with only one parent who's on every possible benefit and she earns less than £16,000 each year so why am i being given the minimum loan!?
Last year i received £8550.00 which is the correct amount for the annual household income and that income hasn't significantly changed so what is going on? There has to be some mistake...

Also the sending financial evidence forms section of the 'to-do-list' on my SFE is no longer there or available but i haven't sent this years financial information so wtf is going on and why is this happening?

I was in the exact same situation (got £8,000+ last year) and was reduced to £3928
Rang up - they said i had to send council tax bill to them (find the address online) and make sure to put your reference number on the council information so they know its about you! Hope this helped i did it today

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending