The Student Room Group

Can anyone help?

Hi all I had planned to apply for nursing this year, but things happened and that's not happening but I didn't want to sit back and do nothing until I can apply for next year so I applied for the access course at my local college and today I received an email inviting me to an interview on the 6th of Feb, the email says there will be a group presentation discussing the course etc and then we'll be asked to complete a comprehensive exercise does anyone have any idea what this will entail?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
At my access course interview we had a comprehension test, there was a short piece of writing about social media and we had to write an essay (I think it was around 500 words) about what we thought the authors view of social media was. After that we also had a choice of 5-6 topics to write an essay about (500-750 words I think).
Other comprehension tests I've heard of are where you get a short piece of writing and then multi choice questions about the extract e.g in the second paragraph is the author referring to a... b... c... or d.... Examples are available online to use for practice.
I hope this helps a bit.

If you don't mind me asking, do you meet the requirements to apply for nursing, as you said you were going apply this year in your post or do you need to do an access course in order to apply?
Reply 2
Original post by mel_l218
At my access course interview we had a comprehension test, there was a short piece of writing about social media and we had to write an essay (I think it was around 500 words) about what we thought the authors view of social media was. After that we also had a choice of 5-6 topics to write an essay about (500-750 words I think).
Other comprehension tests I've heard of are where you get a short piece of writing and then multi choice questions about the extract e.g in the second paragraph is the author referring to a... b... c... or d.... Examples are available online to use for practice.
I hope this helps a bit.

If you don't mind me asking, do you meet the requirements to apply for nursing, as you said you were going apply this year in your post or do you need to do an access course in order to apply?

Hi thank you for your help that helps alot :smile:

I'm not 100% if I'm honest I've got my gcses but my a-levels weren't great, I did a couple of modules with the open uni which a few years ago when I emailed uni (only applying to my local) they send should be enough, the reason I'm not applying this year is my daughter has been unwell been into hospital twice suspected asthma she's on the mend and being assessed for asthma but with getting her sorted my application got put to one side and now we've pasted the cut off date, but its fine gives me more time to get her sorted and myself organised and I'm doing the access course to reassure myself I meet the requirements :smile:
The comprehension test will be a basic piece of writing such as an article about hand hygiene with a few questions to follow. As long as you have GCSE level English language and reading/writing skills you won't have a problem with it.

Otherwise treat your interview like you would one for a job: sell yourself. Have answers for your motivations about a career in healthcare and make any negatives positive ones. You will do fine :wink:
Original post by MDouglas
Hi thank you for your help that helps alot :smile:

I'm not 100% if I'm honest I've got my gcses but my a-levels weren't great, I did a couple of modules with the open uni which a few years ago when I emailed uni (only applying to my local) they send should be enough, the reason I'm not applying this year is my daughter has been unwell been into hospital twice suspected asthma she's on the mend and being assessed for asthma but with getting her sorted my application got put to one side and now we've pasted the cut off date, but its fine gives me more time to get her sorted and myself organised and I'm doing the access course to reassure myself I meet the requirements :smile:

Oh I understand, good to hear your daughter is on the mend.

Good luck at your interview.
being a mature student helps. your life experiences will help. your ou study shows you are self directing. dont worry about your gradesnot being quite there. make sure the access course is accepted were you want to study. if that does not work out keep you eyes open about these new apprenticeship courses. but dontpanic just attend and try to relax.
Reply 6
Thank you all for your help 😊

I had my interview today, we had a talk about the course what it entails days/times etc then we had a half hour comprehension test and then got interviewed one by one

Thankfully they told me there and then they're going to offer me a place 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MDouglas
Thank you all for your help 😊

I had my interview today, we had a talk about the course what it entails days/times etc then we had a half hour comprehension test and then got interviewed one by one

Thankfully they told me there and then they're going to offer me a place 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done! That's great to hear!

Quick Reply

Latest