The Student Room Group

What do i pick for a-levels? Help!

Alright.
Here's what I want to pick:
Computer Science
Biology
Maths

But here's the thing. I'm a complete brainlet. My target for maths is a scale 6, I want a 7. My target for science core and additional are both As.

So here comes the question. Will doing Computer Science in college definately open up chances for Comp Sci in uni? I've been hearing other people and they're saying to do further maths as well. But i'm a brainlet so I can't comprehend complicated things.

Due to my prior knowledge in programming (Unity3D, LUA), i'm working at an A* in GCSE CompSci, so what do you exactly do in college CompSci? Is it more maths based, or programming based?

Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, I cant say from an A level perspective as I study BTEC, but I can tell you that Biology does not fit in with those choices.

Computer Science
Maths
Further Maths

These are the best three to study computer science at university, if that's really what you want to do.

Have a think about it, do some more research and then decide, so as long as you have adequate time.
Original post by tuchaynz
Well, I cant say from an A level perspective as I study BTEC, but I can tell you that Biology does not fit in with those choices.

Computer Science
Maths
Further Maths

These are the best three to study computer science at university, if that's really what you want to do.

Have a think about it, do some more research and then decide, so as long as you have adequate time.

I want to script in high level languages.
Unity3d - C#, Unreal engine, game development and stuff.
I know that in uni, it'll be machine code and some complicated math stuff, but i'm too stupid to study further maths if i'm not even hitting a scale 3 in my mocks.
I honestly don't know what to do.
Reply 3
Original post by Carthaginian
I want to script in high level languages.
Unity3d - C#, Unreal engine, game development and stuff.
I know that in uni, it'll be machine code and some complicated math stuff, but i'm too stupid to study further maths if i'm not even hitting a scale 3 in my mocks.
I honestly don't know what to do.

You should learn about those languages in A level computer science, although the specifications may change and it also depends on who the exam board is. Although you shouldn't worry about those languages right now as you can learn them in your spare time.

You really need to get your grade up for maths as computer science at uni does have quite a lot of it, although I've done a BTEC and have been accepted into my university of choice.

Do you have any ideas of what unis you want to go to?

When I was at your stage, I though to myself that I'll do an apprenticeship, so I didn't really bother with uni stuff. Now that I do want to go and study computer science, I have got into the university I want to go to, although If I had focused harder in the past then I could have applied for the big universities like Warwick, St Andrews etc.
You should learn about those languages in A level computer science, although the specifications may change and it also depends on who the exam board is. Although you shouldn't worry about those languages right now as you can learn them in your spare time.

You really need to get your grade up for maths as computer science at uni does have quite a lot of it, although I've done a BTEC and have been accepted into my university of choice.

When I was at your stage, I though to myself that I'll do an apprenticeship, so I didn't really bother with uni stuff. Now that I do want to go and study computer science, I have got into the university I want to go to, although If I had focused harder in the past then I could have applied for the big universities like Warwick, St Andrews etc.

I already know these languages. But thanks for your advice, i'll increase my math grades.
Reply 5
I strongly recommend developing small games and programs that would allow you to learn more about the language and the application, as well as it looking brilliant on your CV and personal statement.

As I previously asked;
Reply 6
French
i strongly recommend developing small games and programs that would allow you to learn more about the language and the application, as well as it looking brilliant on your cv and personal statement.

As i previously asked;
do you have any ideas of what unis you want to go to?

n o t y e t
Original post by RedManc
French

nice meme
2/10
here's your (you)
If you want to be a "good" programmer, you have to be good at Maths, this is because, above all else, Maths teaches you how to think logically and creatively, probably the two most important aspects of any successful programmer in my honest opinion. So definitely try to do as much Maths as possible.
Mathematics is a core concept in CompSci.
I already know these languages. But thanks for your advice, i'll increase my math grades.

You don't need Further Maths to study Computer science - most schools offer it as a 4th anyway.

What other subejcts would you consider?
I suppose physics could fit? Are you any good at it?
Original post by Muttley79
You don't need Further Maths to study Computer science - most schools offer it as a 4th anyway.

What other subejcts would you consider?

The sixth form are offering chemistry, ICT, physics and a lot more too.
I guess i'm good a programming, but just not maths. Guess i'll need to up my maths game.
The sixth form are offering chemistry, ICT, physics and a lot more too.
I guess i'm good a programming, but just not maths. Guess i'll need to up my maths game.

Have a look at a few unis to see which A levels they want but do chose subjects you enjoy :smile:

Many will want maths and I'd go for a course with a year in industry.
computing a level has some maths content, most of it is on the gcse course tho and its nothing horrifyingly hard. the rest is how computers work etc. (again similar to gcse), there is stuff about laws and ethics and programming does play a part too. you have to be familiar with programming to answer questions and lots of the a level courses also have a coding project which has a lot of freedom in regards to what you can do, what language you write in, etc.
i do OCR, i'm sure other exam boards are pretty similar.

further maths is good for top unis, i don't necessarily think it'd that hard at AS but it's a lot of maths work so if you're not naturally good at maths/don't enjoy maths then you will find it tedious, though there are people in my class who are doing FM just as a route to computing and they're not coping too badly.

I would say stick with what you're good at. maths is a must, but otherwise just choose what you want to study, you can always do an EPQ in computing to show universities you're good at it/have passion.
Alright.
Here's what I want to pick:
Computer Science
Biology
Maths

But here's the thing. I'm a complete brainlet. My target for maths is a scale 6, I want a 7. My target for science core and additional are both As.

So here comes the question. Will doing Computer Science in college definately open up chances for Comp Sci in uni? I've been hearing other people and they're saying to do further maths as well. But i'm a brainlet so I can't comprehend complicated things.

Due to my prior knowledge in programming (Unity3D, LUA), i'm working at an A* in GCSE CompSci, so what do you exactly do in college CompSci? Is it more maths based, or programming based?

Thanks.

For CompSci doing further maths would be better. Do you definitely want to do CompSci? How important is it for you to keep your options open?

If further maths isn't for you then maybe do chemistry? Biology + chemistry gives you many options. Physics + chemistry is also a good option for physical sciences/engineering which is not far off CompSci.

Spoiler

Original post by Laeliakiwi
For CompSci doing further maths would be better. Do you definitely want to do CompSci? How important is it for you to keep your options open?

If further maths isn't for you then maybe do chemistry? Biology + chemistry gives you many options. Physics + chemistry is also a good option for physical sciences/engineering which is not far off CompSci.

Spoiler

I enjoy compsci, but I just suck at maths. I did say i'm going to take biology. Biology needs a 6 in maths and BB for science, maths too, CompSci requires a 5 in maths and BB for science. I've been programming high level languages like javascript, but it doesn't really require much maths for game dev. I made like a horror game with basic AI (finite state machine), and pretty much basic JS.
I enjoy compsci, but I just suck at maths. I did say i'm going to take biology. Biology needs a 6 in maths and BB for science, maths too, CompSci requires a 5 in maths and BB for science. I've been programming high level languages like javascript, but it doesn't really require much maths for game dev. I made like a horror game with basic AI (finite state machine), and pretty much basic JS.

Wait, what about chemistry? Do you just not like it? Biology on it's own is a bit strange.

CompSci at sixth form wouldn't be worth it if you're already doing those things. On the other hand it could be an easy A, depends on how you look at it.
Original post by Laeliakiwi
Wait, what about chemistry? Do you just not like it? Biology on it's own is a bit strange.

CompSci at sixth form wouldn't be worth it if you're already doing those things. On the other hand it could be an easy A, depends on how you look at it.

Hmmm, not sure.
I will see how it's like on the open day.

Quick Reply

Latest