The Student Room Group

Taking time off from uni during term-time??

Hi, my whole extended family are planning to go on holiday during 10 days in October to celebrate my grandma's significant birthday. However unlike normal schools and colleges, I am aware that University students do not have this time off. How would the university feel about me taking this time off and would they authorise/accept it? I am hoping to study Chemistry and this course has a lot of contact hours and a full day in the lab each week.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fizzprid
Hi, my whole extended family are planning to go on holiday during 10 days in October to celebrate my grandma's significant birthday. However unlike normal schools and colleges, I am aware that University students do not have this time off. How would the university feel about me taking this time off and would they authorise/accept it? I am hoping to study Chemistry and this course has a lot of contact hours and a full day in the lab each week.

They'd be furious and would probably expel you.
My secondary school was pissed at me taking 3 days off just before my summer holdays began lol.

Probably be best to contact them and find out tbh
If it's during your first year it would be very inadvisable. Not only do they actually care about your attendance, it would also put a pretty big dent in the whole making new friends thing that you have to do at the start of uni.

Or you might get lucky and have a reading week which coincides with the holiday in which case you should be fine as you'll have no lectures and a lot of people will go home, although it would be better to go for fewer days so you don't miss any lectures. Reading weeks would generally occur at the end of October if not beginning of November however so that might not apply.

They definitely wouldn't accept you having 10 days off when uni terms are so short. unless there are extenuating circumstances like you were ill or a relative ill/dying. You have half the year to go on holiday. With something like Chemistry you can't study remotely either or catch up entirely yourself, you need to be on campus and in labs. How will you write a lab report which counts towards your final mark for the year if you weren't there? A couple of non lab days you might get away with and no-one would notice but not 10. Also consider how much you are paying to go to uni.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
They definitely wouldn't accept you having 10 days off when uni terms are so short. unless there are extenuating circumstances like you were ill or a relative ill/dying. You have half the year to go on holiday. With something like Chemistry you can't study remotely either or catch up entirely yourself, you need to be on campus and in labs. How will you write a lab report which counts towards your final mark for the year if you weren't there? A couple of non lab days you might get away with and no-one would notice but not 10. Also consider how much you are paying to go to uni.

this, I had to take 2 weeks off of uni in my final year, but that was due to serious extenuating circumstances and my lecturer basically told me to take time off and go home- other things were put in place.
They certainly won't authorise it. Whether or not you will get in trouble though depends on your university's attendance policy and what you miss. On my course, I would probably get away with missing a few lectures but if I missed a practical/workshop it could mean I couldn't do my coursework and got a mark of 0 for it.
Not sure what unis you guys are all going to... mine doesn't really take attendance apart from stats purposes (Glasgow uni) so it doesn't matter if you never show up.

I've taken time off during term time no bother since 1st year (now 4th) due to sporting and other commitments, for up to 10 days at a time. Just clear it with your lecturers first, make sure to rearrange any labs/practicals, and have fun trying to catch up afterwards :wink:
Original post by seyrose
Not sure what unis you guys are all going to... mine doesn't really take attendance apart from stats purposes (Glasgow uni) so it doesn't matter if you never show up.

I've taken time off during term time no bother since 1st year (now 4th) due to sporting and other commitments, for up to 10 days at a time. Just clear it with your lecturers first, make sure to rearrange any labs/practicals, and have fun trying to catch up afterwards :wink:

your uni rearranged practicals just for you? when you had no extenuating circumstances? i know at my old uni most lecturers didn't monitor lecture attendance, so you could get away with missing a few of them, but pretty sure the guys doing labs had to sign in each time and if not there provide a very good reason for absence.
(edited 7 years ago)
your uni rearranged practicals just for you? when you had no extenuating circumstances? i know at my old uni most lecturers didn't monitor lecture attendance, so you could get away with missing a few of them, but pretty sure the guys doing labs had to sign in each time and if not there provide a very good reason for absence.

Unis tend to be very lenient when it comes to absences due to sporting commitments like seyrose mentioned alongside academic commitments outside of uni and things like interviews, I'm guessing they also didn't rearrange labs for her so much as they let her go to a later/different lab session to the one she was originally scheduled for.

No, there is normally more than one session for a lab per class so I was always lucky in that I could just be moved into the other one. My course doesn't have many labs anyway so it's never been an issue.

The main problem isn't even about authorisation (and they definitely would not authorise it), it's about the fact that you would fall massively behind. At secondary school you might have been able to afford to be able to do it but the pace is faster at university and particularly if you've got labs, you're probably not going to be able to redo them. I'm sorry if it means that you won't be able to go to see your grandma (if it helps, I'm in the exact same situation) but you need to put your studies first.
Original post by Plagioclase
The main problem isn't even about authorisation (and they definitely would not authorise it), it's about the fact that you would fall massively behind. At secondary school you might have been able to afford to be able to do it but the pace is faster at university and particularly if you've got labs, you're probably not going to be able to redo them. I'm sorry if it means that you won't be able to go to see your grandma (if it helps, I'm in the exact same situation) but you need to put your studies first.

It's definitely tough to catch up but I'd say its doable unless you're doing a course with loads of labs that you can't switch out of. 10 days including the weekend means you only miss about 7 uni days, which isn't so bad to catch up with (unless you have a LOT of different classes, but I'd say up to 4-5 classes with lecture material would be fine to catch up with, though very hard work and if you are away in october and have December exams you're not going to have a good time)

obviously if the school literally tells you no, don't do it :P

Disclaimer: I'm a terrible student who doesn't really go to her lectures and goes abroad to compete at least once a year during the semester.
Anti disclaimer? Still heading for at least a 2:1 in engineering since I learned to work very efficiently hehehe
Original post by seyrose
It's definitely tough to catch up but I'd say its doable unless you're doing a course with loads of labs that you can't switch out of. 10 days including the weekend means you only miss about 7 uni days, which isn't so bad to catch up with (unless you have a LOT of different classes, but I'd say up to 4-5 classes with lecture material would be fine to catch up with, though very hard work and if you are away in october and have December exams you're not going to have a good time)

obviously if the school literally tells you no, don't do it :P

Disclaimer: I'm a terrible student who doesn't really go to her lectures and goes abroad to compete at least once a year during the semester.
Anti disclaimer? Still heading for at least a 2:1 in engineering since I learned to work very efficiently hehehe

Well, I guess it depends on you and how intense your uni is. But I'm not going on a family holiday because I'd be missing a single day of uni... I wouldn't for a second even consider missing an entire week.
Original post by Plagioclase
Well, I guess it depends on you and how intense your uni is. But I'm not going on a family holiday because I'd be missing a single day of uni... I wouldn't for a second even consider missing an entire week.

Yeah I've definitely risked it by missing classes, especially doing an engineering degree! But I really believe in doing things outside of uni too and that's why I've done it; I'd rather a 2:1 and have competed abroad etc instead of a 1st where I've not :smile: it's even harder to take time off to do that with a real job so I guess I'm just taking advantage of how lenient unis can be...

I suppose a family holiday isn't really a good excuse to miss a lot, to be honest... uni summers are so long for doing that kind of thing.

Was it booked before you knew the term dates

Posted from TSR Mobile
OP if u really wanna go then you should for less than 10 days if you can, maybe 3/4 days but you should check when you have workshops and labs as you shouldn't miss those days

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest