The Student Room Group

Funds available after previous study

Hi,

I have previously attended and been paid for 2 years worth of studying, I have applied and been accepted to go back in September starting from year 1 again on a different course, I understand that I will be eligible for 2 years worth of funding so will need to pay for my first year myself, However I was wondering if in this first year I would still be eligible for the Maintenance loan to help with living costs?

I was also curious if there is any further funding available from SFE which could be used to help going towards my first years Tuition fees?

Thanks!
Original post by Servul
Hi,

I have previously attended and been paid for 2 years worth of studying, I have applied and been accepted to go back in September starting from year 1 again on a different course, I understand that I will be eligible for 2 years worth of funding so will need to pay for my first year myself, However I was wondering if in this first year I would still be eligible for the Maintenance loan to help with living costs?

I was also curious if there is any further funding available from SFE which could be used to help going towards my first years Tuition fees?

Thanks!

Yes - if you didn't get a degree qualification from your previous study then you'll be able to get a maintenance loan (and other living cost support if you're eligible) for your first year.

It's also worth speaking to your university about your situation - they may be able to offer a fee waiver for part of your fees or help you to apply for hardship funding.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Yes - if you didn't get a degree qualification from your previous study then you'll be able to get a maintenance loan (and other living cost support if you're eligible) for your first year.

It's also worth speaking to your university about your situation - they may be able to offer a fee waiver for part of your fees or help you to apply for hardship funding.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer this has been extremely useful to me!
Reply 3
I have a similar question. I started a degree in 2012 and dropped out halfway through my second year so i have have 2 years of funding. I am now looking at doing a foundation degree elsewhere with a view to doing a top up afterwards. Because of my previous study i would be able to skip the first year of the foundation degree and go straight onto level 5. Does anyone know how i would stand with funding?
Hi

The rule regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their course plus 1 extra year (OD +1), minus any previous study (PS). Please see calculation shown below:
(OD+1) - PS = Entitlement. Remaining years of entitlement will be awarded in the final years of the course. This means if the remaining entitlement for a 3 year course is 2 years, then the student would receive full funding in years 2 and 3. In year 1, in this case, they would received a MT Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants only.Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending