The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wolfmoon88
@somebodyelse98

:console: :frown:

Good luck on your US applications! Update us on how they go :smile: I am sure you will do extremely well!

thanks so much and will do! good luck with everything for you too - you will end up somewhere amazing I am sure and have a very bright future ahead :redface:
Original post by rissanicole14
I'm sorry to hear about that...it's amazing to get as far as you did! I know you'll have some amazing college options come March :redface:

[video="youtube;ZOJCmPKaYN8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOJCmPKaYN8[/video]

just something that always makes me laugh, and seemed relevant since you said you want to study in the U.S. :tongue:

ahahahahaha that is amazing, massively cheered me up - thank you so much! this decision has made me want to go to America even more now, which is scary and exciting at the same time... hope everything goes well for you!
Original post by Alvarezd1
Finally heard back from Selwyn- rejection :frown:

so sorry to hear! good luck with everything and don't let it get you down, you're incredible to have got so far :smile:
Original post by Alvarezd1
Finally heard back from Selwyn- rejection :frown:

Original post by Emma73737
I finally heard back from Selwyn too and I'm rejected aswell 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Gold-Confetti
Ahh same unfortunately. 😔 More upset that I was dragged down to Cambridge again and wasted my parents money only to be rejected.

Commiserations to you both. Onwards and upwards I guess!

Goddamn, what's happened this year? Everyone I've spoken to/know personally (either from school or interviews) hasn't got an offer! Commiserations to all - we've all done bloody incredible in getting this far, and whichever universities end up with us will reap the benefits of Cambridge's decision! We'll all keep being fabulous elsewhere:tongue::wink:
Okay :tongue: that's fair :smile:

:colonhash: *Smile- Nat King Cole*

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahaha classic wolfmoon :rofl:
What is that in your new icon?? Is it a bird?
Reply 5645
Hey all. Just figured I would show my face in this thread - I've been lurking here on TSR for a good couple of years but only just made an account.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone here has been offered a place at Emmanuel College... somehow I've received an offer to study MML there!
Original post by Infested
Really watching you closely, would be great if Hughes took you :smile:

You are very kind! At this point I don't hold out much hope to be honest but had a hopeful stalk of Hughes' website today and I still love it :colondollar:
Original post by epsilondelta
You are very kind! At this point I don't hold out much hope to be honest but had a hopeful stalk of Hughes' website today and I still love it :colondollar:

When I was reading up I found the website to be lacking compared to other colleges' really, couldn't find out who was the DoS/supervisors for Economics cause they lumped Business and Economics together and the staff profiles are quite scant.
Original post by Christie_xx
Ahaha classic wolfmoon :rofl:
What is that in your new icon?? Is it a bird?

:tongue: :rofl:

Yep, it's a critically endangered bird from New Zealand called the Kakapo :yep:

Original post by somebodyelse98
thanks so much and will do! good luck with everything for you too - you will end up somewhere amazing I am sure and have a very bright future ahead :redface:

Thank you :smile: I am sure we both will be amazing!

Analysis of 2017 TSR Cambridge Interview Applicants

Note: The data was only gathered from the TSR post-applicant survey. This data is not representative of the entire applicant pool and should not be taken as such. It is also important to remind people that most the data used here was gathered from an applicant’s own assessment of their application.

Starting with course and college choices, out of 461 interview applicants:

Spoiler

Natural Sciences was by far the most popular course at 18% of the TSR cohort. This was followed by Mathematics at 9.67% and Engineering at 8.24%. Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic was the least popular course with only 1 applicant out of 461 applicants (0.22%).

The most popular colleges appear to be St John’s and Downing closely followed by King’s and St Catharine’s. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the least popular colleges appear to be the mature colleges collectively attracting 5 applicants out of 461 (1.08%).

Out of the 461 interview applicants, 396 of them sat a pre-interview assessment (including BMAT etc.). Applicants were asked to rate their pre-interview assessment based off their personal assessment and thoughts. Applicants were asked to give a rating between 1-10 with 1 being the worst and 10 being the best.

Spoiler

A sample size of 73 applicants out of the original 461 was confirmed to be given offers. 66 of who sat a pre-interview assessment. 29 applicants were confirmed to be given rejections; 22 of who sat a pre-interview assessment. Interestingly, on average, applicants that received rejections generally gave themselves a lower rating on their interview performance than those who received offers. However, there is also the consideration that the low sample size of rejected applicants can cause the data to be somewhat skewed.

Spoiler

The general conclusion that can be drawn is that applicants are poor at assessing their own performance at interview.

Spoiler

Note that the data points are set at 50% transparancy so darker data points indicates a greater concentration of data at that point. The wide spread of data seems to support our previous conclusion that applicants are poor at assessing their own performance. It is interesting to note that there appears to be a somewhat positive correlation between an appliant’s rating of their admissions assessment and their interview. In other words, a candidate is more likely to rate their interview performance higher if they rate their admissions assessment higher.

Finally (for curiosity’s sake), a confirmed successful/rejected applicant was compared with their respective number of posts in the main TSR thread for Cambridge applicants. Data was only taken from the first and second thread.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NeverLucky

This is amazing!! Thank you for putting all this together
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by thewinelake
I've now meme-ified it a bit. And it's now something for SBM to stick on her wall to focus her mind! (although poor resolution)

missme.jpg

Maybe I should add "...and you'll be driving a blue Mk1 Fiesta for the rest of your life"

I'll put it on much wall this weekend :lol: although I still think it'll give me nightmares

Damn man, how long did this take? Pretty cool PRSOM
(edited 7 years ago)

Loads of stuff I can't see in my phone! Well done :smile:

I'll look at it properly asap!

BTW, folks please don't quote it in full otherwise we'll break the interwebs! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

That is amazing!! Thanks so much!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Finally (for curiosity’s sake), a confirmed successful/rejected applicant was compared with their respective number of posts in the main TSR thread for Cambridge applicants. Data was only taken from the first and second thread.

Wow! Really impressed by the amount of effort in that. And I think on that last graph we all know the one person at the left hand side :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Christie_xx
This is amazing!! Thank you for putting all this together

Thank you, I can upload the raw data if anyone wants (I'll just delete everyone's names) but it's a bit of a mess :lol:

Damn man, how long did this take? Pretty cool PRSOM

A few hours hahaha, the longest time was just linking everyone's outcome with their survey data...
Original post by vinnie99
Wow! Really impressed by the amount of effort in that. And I think on that last graph we all know the one person at the left hand side :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wonder who it could be... :rolleyes:
Thank you, I can upload the raw data if anyone wants (I'll just delete everyone's names) but it's a bit of a mess :lol:

Great work! Could you upload the raw data?

Latest

Trending

Trending