The Student Room Group

Pongy M1 Moments question

"A broom consists of a broomstick of length 130cm and mass 5kg and a broomhead of mass 5.5kg attached to one end. By modelling the broomstick as a rod and the broomhead as a particle, find where a support should be placed so that the broom will balance horizontally."

I have tried to draw a diagram (which I will attach), but I am unsure as to how I should do this question. I understand the concept of moments, but just not this question. Perhaps I have missed something off my diagram? Please help.

Moments M1.jpg
Reply 1
Original post by LeCroissant
"A broom consists of a broomstick of length 130cm and mass 5kg and a broomhead of mass 5.5kg attached to one end. By modelling the broomstick as a rod and the broomhead as a particle, find where a support should be placed so that the broom will balance horizontally."

I have tried to draw a diagram (which I will attach), but I am unsure as to how I should do this question. I understand the concept of moments, but just not this question. Perhaps I have missed something off my diagram? Please help.

Let the distance between the support (R) and one end of the broom be xx. Now take moments from one end, remembering that horizontal balance means the net moment should be 0. So this gives you an equation in xx to solve.
Original post by Zacken
Let the distance between the support (R) and one end of the broom be xx. Now take moments from one end, remembering that horizontal balance means the net moment should be 0. So this gives you an equation in xx to solve.

Also, is the broomhead included or excluded from the length of the broomstick given in the question?
Reply 3

Also, is the broomhead included or excluded from the length of the broomstick given in the question?

Not sure what you mean? The broomhead is a small particle of length 0 with mass 5.5 kg
Original post by Zacken
Not sure what you mean? The broomhead is a small particle of length 0 with mass 5.5 kg

Ohhhhhh never mind haha :tongue:
I drew the broomhead as a big bunch of sticks at the end of the broomstick/rod on my diagram so that's why I got confused.
Reply 5
Ohhhhhh never mind haha :tongue:
I drew the broomhead as a big bunch of sticks at the end of the broomstick/rod on my diagram so that's why I got confused.

I suspected as much!

Quick Reply

Latest