The Student Room Group

Tips and Tricks for RAF CBAT at RAF Cranwell

Im booked to sit my CBAT in the next few weeks and was wondering if anybody could tell me how long it takes to complete the full test? Everybody finishes at different speeds I'm sure, but an average time?
In addition, anybody that has taken the test before, do you have any last minute tips that could help me throughout the exam? Maybe any concentration techniques to not lose focus for extended periods etc...
Any information about the test would be welcomed with open arms.
Many thanks for the help!
Reply 1
Original post by jacoballen66
Im booked to sit my CBAT in the next few weeks and was wondering if anybody could tell me how long it takes to complete the full test? Everybody finishes at different speeds I'm sure, but an average time?
In addition, anybody that has taken the test before, do you have any last minute tips that could help me throughout the exam? Maybe any concentration techniques to not lose focus for extended periods etc...
Any information about the test would be welcomed with open arms.
Many thanks for the help!

You won't complete it. It's not that kind of test.

There's an entire armed forces forum in the careers section. Read the hundreds of existing threads there. There are no tricks.

As for the maths, get good at your SDT equations. It's mental arithmetic they're testing. The calculations will be relatively simple, few fractions or decimals.

Edit for clarity. It'll be numbers that you can do in your head. Nothing that requires a calculator (which is just as well, as you won't be given one).

You'll be sent instructions and a guide, follow them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Drewski

There's an entire armed forces forum in the careers section. Read the hundreds of existing threads there. There are no tricks.

As for the maths, get good at your SDT equations. It's mental arithmetic they're testing. The calculations will be relatively simple, no fractions or decimals.

There were more decimals in the sdt section than whole numbers.

You can get 'the right answer' by rounding your decimals to whole numbers; the instructions implied you'd get more points if you got the actual correct answer, it was difficult with about 30 seconds to work out each problem.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Drewski

As for the maths, get good at your SDT equations. It's mental arithmetic they're testing. The calculations will be relatively simple, no fractions or decimals.

Thanks for the advice, I'm new to the student room so will check that out now.

Quickly though, I'm getting mixed messages on what sections there are in the test... is the CBAT as same as the AST or are they different tests altogether? RAF website says AST is seven sections... but then other columns state they're talking about CBAT but sounding more like OASC? Or is all this getting tested at once?
Original post by jacoballen66
Thanks for the advice, I'm new to the student room so will check that out now.

Quickly though, I'm getting mixed messages on what sections there are in the test... is the CBAT as same as the AST or are they different tests altogether? RAF website says AST is seven sections... but then other columns state they're talking about CBAT but sounding more like OASC? Or is all this getting tested at once?

Morning,

The AST and CBAT are two completely different tests. CBAT is harder, much harder.

In regards to your CBAT, I sat my second attempt on Tuesday (17th Jan), unfortunately didn't make the mark, however We started testing at around 07:45 and I personally didn't finish until 15:50.

If you're sitting for Aircrew, Intelligence or ABM then you can expect to stay for the whole time. Where-as a lad who was sitting for SNCO DE ATC was there for about half the day.

Drewski covered areas to revise for perfectly. Maths is a big factor and there is a section 'Airborne Numerical Test' which covers SDT and fuel consumption.

You will get 5 minute rest breaks after every 30-45 mins and a 45 minute lunch break. I'd recommend you take advantage of them all as it is a long day.

Give it your best shot. As I said, it was my second attempt and whilst there was improvement from my first sitting, it wasn't enough to progress to the next stage.

Best of luck.
Original post by hezzlington
There were more decimals in the sdt section than whole numbers.

You can get 'the right answer' by rounding your decimals to whole numbers; the instructions implied you'd get more points if you got the actual correct answer, it was difficult with about 30 seconds to work out each problem.

I think it took me 30 seconds to process the ruddy question.
Original post by 0902
I think it took me 30 seconds to process the ruddy question.

What were your scores?
Reply 7
I'm off to CBAT tomorrow I'll let you know what it's like as well.
Original post by HFC26
I'm off to CBAT tomorrow I'll let you know what it's like as well.

Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by 0902
Morning,

The AST and CBAT are two completely different tests. CBAT is harder, much harder.

In regards to your CBAT, I sat my second attempt on Tuesday (17th Jan), unfortunately didn't make the mark, however We started testing at around 07:45 and I personally didn't finish until 15:50.

If you're sitting for Aircrew, Intelligence or ABM then you can expect to stay for the whole time. Where-as a lad who was sitting for SNCO DE ATC was there for about half the day.

Drewski covered areas to revise for perfectly. Maths is a big factor and there is a section 'Airborne Numerical Test' which covers SDT and fuel consumption.

You will get 5 minute rest breaks after every 30-45 mins and a 45 minute lunch break. I'd recommend you take advantage of them all as it is a long day.

Give it your best shot. As I said, it was my second attempt and whilst there was improvement from my first sitting, it wasn't enough to progress to the next stage.

Best of luck.

When you say you didn't progress to the next stage, is that because the role you applied for had a very high CBAT score requirement?
Are all the roles reliant on a good CBAT score? I am applying for a Personnel Training Role, and am hopeful that an average CBAT score will suffice.

Quick Reply

Latest