The Student Room Group

Choosing a driving instructor your parents don't like...

Scroll to see replies

Guys, just to be clear
it is £27 for 1 hour.

That is expensive.

Gosh I hate my life right now.
Ask what grade of instructor they are. It goes up to grade 6 and grade 4 is what most instructors are since that's the minimum. If they're grade 5 or 6 then £27 is worth it, otherwise I'd honestly shop around since that is very expensive for a normal instructor.
Original post by cheerupgrrl5:)
Guys, just to be clear
it is £27 for 1 hour.

That is expensive.

Gosh I hate my life right now.

I was £30 for hour when I done my lessons at March-July time last year
Original post by coldplasma
Ask what grade of instructor they are. It goes up to grade 6 and grade 4 is what most instructors are since that's the minimum. If they're grade 5 or 6 then £27 is worth it, otherwise I'd honestly shop around since that is very expensive for a normal instructor.

Oh yes could be, I looked up some other person but when they spoke, they had an accident that at the beginning I didn't understand what they were saying hahaha.

But I understood after. I said I would have to talk with my parents, btw this is one my parents are okay with.

I worried I might not be able to understand this person, even though I did at the end I guess.

What you guys think?
You are being advised a lot about good and bad prices and the range is pretty big. Let me try and put some context on this. In some parts of the country you may pay £15 per hour and in some you may pay £30 per hour or even more. This is influenced by many things not least the affluence of the area in which you live. I don't want to denigrate any part of the country more than any other but driving lessons in Newcastle aren't going to be the same price as driving lessons in Surrey. So comparing prices is a bit like comparing apples and pears - different things.

An instructor will generally charge what they think is reasonable in their area and the difference between low and high prices may only be £5 per hour. Instructors that are good are likely to charge more but not necessarily.

You also need to take into account that the price you'll pay in the first few lessons may be a specially discounted price because you are not going to be going far and therefore fuel cost is lower. The instructor may also be trying to 'hook' you in.

Finally, beware grades and pass rates. Grades may be 4,5,6 or A or B - they have changed the system relatively recently. Being a high grade does not necessarily mean a good instructor. It may just be that they are good at tests set by the DVSA. Likewise being a low grade may show inexperience (which doesn't necessarily mean bad) or someone who gets very nervous when being tested. Pass rate comparisons are only valid if they are calculated the same way and even then they can be misleading. If you give someone 150 lessons they are more likely to pass than someone who has had 15...
Original post by Emma-Ashley
You are being advised a lot about good and bad prices and the range is pretty big. Let me try and put some context on this. In some parts of the country you may pay £15 per hour and in some you may pay £30 per hour or even more. This is influenced by many things not least the affluence of the area in which you live. I don't want to denigrate any part of the country more than any other but driving lessons in Newcastle aren't going to be the same price as driving lessons in Surrey. So comparing prices is a bit like comparing apples and pears - different things.

An instructor will generally charge what they think is reasonable in their area and the difference between low and high prices may only be £5 per hour. Instructors that are good are likely to charge more but not necessarily.

You also need to take into account that the price you'll pay in the first few lessons may be a specially discounted price because you are not going to be going far and therefore fuel cost is lower. The instructor may also be trying to 'hook' you in.

Finally, beware grades and pass rates. Grades may be 4,5,6 or A or B - they have changed the system relatively recently. Being a high grade does not necessarily mean a good instructor. It may just be that they are good at tests set by the DVSA. Likewise being a low grade may show inexperience (which doesn't necessarily mean bad) or someone who gets very nervous when being tested. Pass rate comparisons are only valid if they are calculated the same way and even then they can be misleading. If you give someone 150 lessons they are more likely to pass than someone who has had 15...

Oh wow thank you! There are many points you have covered that I didn't think of.
I guess it does make sense, I am going to try the £21 as well and see what it is like
My parents prefer me to do 1 hour lessons rather than two hours because it may make me tired I guess.

I will let you all know how it goes.
Hey guys, I hope you're all doing well!

I chose a driving instructor online, and I didn't know my parents had others in mind. I mean, there were good reviews, all 5 stars. I initially did not want to start learning to drive and was completely put off by the idea until later in life.

My parents and relatives always pressurise me to do it. So I decided to chose someone myself and do it. I chose them and booked one lesson. My parents now says they had others in mind. Also, this person I chose does 2 hours but it is around £27.

I mean it is quite expensive, isn't it?

I don't know what to do, it really is making me doubt my choices, they are mocking me for choosing someone that charges that much. I was very excited and confident before but now I am very nervous and upset.

My parents always chose what tuition I took, but I always (I mean always) thought it was a waste that's why I decided to step up and chose someone myself.

It is tomorrow...they said to tell whoever it is that I will think about block bookings later.

What do you all think, do you have any experience like this or any experience of chosing a driving instructor like this?
What should I do?

When I was learning to drive, the first instructor charged £27 for the hour. I then had to change instructors as the first instructor went on to become a driving examiner. The 2nd instructor charged me £25 for the hour, and I found them both to be really good at teaching. And I did my own research with looking for an instructor :smile:!

But honestly, if you get on with your instructor, and they teach you well, then it isn't an issue. Just remember, you're the one learning, not your parents/family.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohhello92x
When I was learning to drive, the first instructor charged £27 for the hour. I then had to change instructors as the first instructor went on to become a driving examiner. The 2nd instructor charged me £25 for the hour, and I found them both to be really good at teaching. And I did my own research with looking for an instructor :smile:!

But honestly, if you get on with your instructor, and they teach you well, then it isn't an issue. Just remember, you're the one learning, not your parents/family.

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh so lucky!
I guess I am just really bad at chosing haha

yes that is true I suppose.
I will try this other one and report back
Hope theyre alright
oh so lucky!
I guess I am just really bad at chosing haha

yes that is true I suppose.
I will try this other one and report back
Hope theyre alright

Haha aw :redface:
Fair enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys,
So I had a lesson with this other instructor, and they were actually quite good.
Much cheaper

I will be continuing with them and I guess hello92x and some of u guys was right haha:smile:

I suppose u have to go through the process of trial and error and see who is best for you. I mean I still don't know if this instructor will actually teach me properly or waste my time.
I will keep trying with this one and hopefully it all works out well.

Thank you all for the comments and support from the beginning of this week (which I was in a really bad state haha)
Hey guys,
So I had a lesson with this other instructor, and they were actually quite good.
Much cheaper

I will be continuing with them and I guess hello92x and some of u guys was right haha:smile:

I suppose u have to go through the process of trial and error and see who is best for you. I mean I still don't know if this instructor will actually teach me properly or waste my time.
I will keep trying with this one and hopefully it all works out well.

Thank you all for the comments and support from the beginning of this week (which I was in a really bad state haha)

That's good :biggrin: hopefully it will work out for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohhello92x
That's good :biggrin: hopefully it will work out for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
Thank you!

You're welcome:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest