The Student Room Group
Reply 1
If this is a paid course, don't bother. I have spoken to a number of people who have been on courses like this and none of them found them helpful. The best way to practice is to read questions and think about how you would answer them. Have a look at the medical interview practice page on here - there's a lot of questions on there and people will help if you are stuck on any.

If you sound coached when you answer questions, the university will know and they obviously don't like it :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ax12
If this is a paid course, don't bother. I have spoken to a number of people who have been on courses like this and none of them found them helpful. The best way to practice is to read questions and think about how you would answer them. Have a look at the medical interview practice page on here - there's a lot of questions on there and people will help if you are stuck on any.

If you sound coached when you answer questions, the university will know and they obviously don't like it :smile:

I second that.
I think the best way to prepare is to read a question, come up with your own answer and then check the model reply. You can then answer again, improving your past response with what you read.
Nah, I went this year and didn't find it that helpful tbh
Reply 4
Original post by gemmac123455
Thanks. What's the link to the page if you don't mind me asking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4418072

Practice Interview Questions

Do you think that the junior doctor strikes are fair?

What is your greatest strength?

What is your greatest weakness?

What non-academic achievement are you most proud of?

Describe your bedroom to a blind person.

Discuss an experience that allowed you to learn something important about yourself. How will this lesson help you succeed in your career?

Due to the lack of staff and busy schedule on one day, you have to say to a patient that their minor operation won't happen today, bearing in mind it won't affect their health. how would you do this?

What is your opinion on euthanasia?

Your friend has done badly in their exams and has started to binge drink. How would you advise them?

What makes a good doctor?

Why should we give you a place?

Should smokers be treated on the NHS for smoking related illnesses?

You are a surgeon and you have one liver to give to a patient. Choose between:

A seven year old girl, a homosexual man, a 68 year old firefighter, an ex-alcoholic mother of three

How do you think Brexit may affect the NHS?

Discuss a time when you have made a life-changing decision.

What is your biggest mistake?

Why do you want to study medicine?

Why do you want to come to this university?

What are the current problems in the NHS outside of funding?

What are your thoughts on the NHS ‘postcode lottery’, and how do you think it can be overcome?

Tell me about your work experience.

Why do you want to study medicine and not nursing?

Who do you think has been the most influential person in the last 100 years?

A patient diagnosed with HIV has disclosed that he has not told his partner. What should you do?

What do you think of the way that doctors are perceived in the media?

You are a medical student and your friend wants you to sign him into a lecture as he is going to a party. What do you do?

What would you say to a friend who has come to you because they are stressed?

When have you been in an upsetting situation?

A 14 year old girl has come to the GP requesting birth control medication. What should you do?

What is the difference between community and hospital care?

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

What do you hope to accomplish from a medical degree?

What would you do to relax after a 12 hour shift in A&E?

If you were a doctor and could smell alcohol on the breath of a colleague, what would you do?

You are the leader of a team and two members are not getting along. They have specific skills which make them essential to the team, how would you resolve them?

Why do women live longer than men?

What would you do if you saw someone being bullied?

If you saw a senior colleague treating a junior colleague badly what would you do? What if it was you being treated badly?

Should patients be able to choose which surgeon carries out their procedure?

Would you trust a doctor in a t-shirt?

What is the biggest mistake that you have made in the last 2 years?

Explain a situation when you did not communicate well.

What is more important as a doctor, sympathy or empathy?

How important is evidence based practice in medicine?

Have you heard of any important research lately?

Why is teamwork important in medicine?

What do you find interesting about medicine?

How do you handle failure?

Role Play Scenarios:

You have been looking after a lady’s child, who is run over whilst in your care. You have to tell her that this has happened.

You hit a neighbour’s cat with your car. Tell them.

You have made a dish of food which contains nuts, and gave it to someone who is allergic. Tell them that you have made a mistake.

I went on the ISC interview course and I learnt a couple of bits from it, but on the whole it wasn't great and I wouldn't do it again considering the amount of money it was.
It's not just the book being read aloud, but in terms of content, they don't explain much that isn't covered in some way in the book.
The most useful bit about it was having practice of giving spoken answers in front of other people and doing/watching role plays (for MMI). Also it was a good opportunity to speak to a practising doctor and someone who has been on interview panels, if you wouldn't normally have that chance (e.g if you have no medical contacts like me)
Reply 6
Original post by gemmac123455
I have one interview invitation for KCL EMDP in 3 weeks and was wondering if this course is worth it.

I've had mock MMI practice twice at my sixth form, if it makes any difference. One of my friends attended last year and she said the course was like the book being read aloud but I've seen mixed reviews online.

As this is my only interview, do you think the course is worth it or just a waste of money.

I went on the course just before Christmas, and for what you're paying I don't really think it's good value for money. In all honesty just getting the £25 isc medical interview book is more than enough if you look at some of the questions and model answers (obviously not copying them word for word). The actual course was very much tailored off the book so I personally would recommend simply purchasing the book and understanding/practising the questions from there rather than spending £150+ on the course. Needless to say if you have money to spend it is somewhat helpful.

Latest

Trending

Trending