The Student Room Group

2017 Oxford Prospective Students [part 2]

Scroll to see replies

I am in the lucky position that my HAT & interviews were, despite my fears, 'good enough' so don't rock the boat!
Reply 201
Original post by fablereader
My dream last night: another college sent me an offer. My subconscious does not seem to have gotten over this.

Yep. I've had a similar dream in which I get an email telling me that a mistake was made and the offer was really for the joint course I applied to after all and not just the sole course offer I got... and which I will now probably, painfully, end up saying no to as it's not the course I want, no matter how tempting going to Oxford for any course still is.

I finally got the two actual college letters in the mail yesterday, which may have been the seed for the dream.
(edited 7 years ago)
I've mostly decided that I should just wait for the feedback and see what they say. However, that's been decided by my conscious mind, not the subconscious one, so ... dreams.

Oh gosh, dreams are the worst. I dreamed that I applied for Cambridge and got to interview and they were making us do all these ridiculous tasks and I got lost in the building and it was awful. That was last Friday, so hopefully that'll be the last I dream of the Oxbridge selection process!
Original post by valgal
Yep. I've had a similar dream in which I get an email telling me that a mistake was made and the offer was really for the joint course I applied to after all and not just the sole course offer I got... and which I will now probably, painfully, end up saying no to as it's not the course I want, no matter how tempting going to Oxford for any course still is.

I finally got the two actual college letters in the mail yesterday, which may have been the seed for the dream.

Go for it, if it's really not the one you want. Do what makes you happy (or least sad).
Original post by CatusStarbright
Oh gosh, dreams are the worst. I dreamed that I applied for Cambridge and got to interview and they were making us do all these ridiculous tasks and I got lost in the building and it was awful. That was last Friday, so hopefully that'll be the last I dream of the Oxbridge selection process!

Cambridge? I can understand why that dream was the worst ... :biggrin:

I wish us all sleep free of dreams that don't bring up the agony of all that.
Cambridge? I can understand why that dream was the worst ... :biggrin:

I wish us all sleep free of dreams that don't bring up the agony of all that.

Haha yeah. I assume it's because my mind accepts that the Oxford door has shut.
Original post by CatusStarbright
Haha yeah. I assume it's because my mind accepts that the Oxford door has shut.

I may still be having some trouble on that. Really considering going to an event at Blackwell's on the 25th. Granted, I've wanted to go since I learned about it when I was last there, but ...
Reply 207
Go for it, if it's really not the one you want. Do what makes you happy (or least sad).

Really am torn between going to Oxford anyhow with the single course of study or going elsewhere to be able to do a joint course. It will really depend, I guess, on the pros and cons of the other options... and those other options won't be known until end of March when the US schools send out their decisions. Aaaargh.
Original post by valgal
Really am torn between going to Oxford anyhow with the single course of study or going elsewhere to be able to do a joint course. It will really depend, I guess, on the pros and cons of the other options... and those other options won't be known until end of March when the US schools send out their decisions. Aaaargh.

The end of March?? ... I'm suddenly becoming a lot more worried about how long it'll take the other unis to which I applied to send out their decisions. They aren't in the States, but I don't know when they will ...

It does sound like a good plan, though (similar to what I'm doing). Try not to worry about it too much just yet if you're going to wait for other options, though.
Reply 209
Can all the PPEist please post their TSA scores please? Based on the 6 PPEist TSA scores for this year, you needed high 70s, this year!!! They have been posted on last year's thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sea...Fb%3E%3F&q=TSA
Reply 210
The end of March?? ... I'm suddenly becoming a lot more worried about how long it'll take the other unis to which I applied to send out their decisions. They aren't in the States, but I don't know when they will ...

It does sound like a good plan, though (similar to what I'm doing). Try not to worry about it too much just yet if you're going to wait for other options, though.

Yes, the regular application/admissions cycle in the US is later than at Oxbridge. You have the option to apply early to only one school if you have a definite favorite and are willing to commit to going to that school if you get in, and you do get an earlier response to such an Early Decision application if you do one, but all other applications (the Regular Decision cycle) are due at the start of January, and then decisions are sent out at the end of March or early April. Then the selection has to be made by May 1st, which at least aligns with Oxford's deadline of May 4.

As far as the other UK schools, I guess the responses can come at any time since they are on rolling admissions? I heard back very quickly from St. Andrews, Durham and Edinburgh, but haven't yet had a response from UCL.

Gotta be patient, I guess... (I repeat: Aaaaaaaargh!)
We'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who applied to Brasenose this year and also to release some admissions stats, in case they are of interest.

50% of Brasenose applicants were invited to interview at one of the Oxford colleges (marginally higher than the University shortlisting rate of 48%).

During the two-week interview period (December 5th - 14th), Brasenose's selectors conducted some 840 individual interviews for Brasenose and some second college candidates. They clocked up roughly 300 hours of interviewing (equivalent to nearly 13 days straight). Over the 12 days, current undergraduates hosting interview candidates worked a total of 2,076 person hours! We invited 351 candidates to stay with us - 350 of whom accepted. There were also a small number of skype interview candidates located overseas.

The overall success rate for candidates making a direct application to Brasenose was 21% which is slightly above the University-wide figure of 19%. For comparison, the success rate in 2015 was 21% and for 2014 22%. Success is defined as an offer from either Brasenose or another Oxford college.

If you made a direct application to Brasenose and were interviewed, the odds of achieving an offer (from us or any other college) were 40%. If you did not make a direct application to us and were interviewed, the odds of success were 39%.

If you did apply to Brasenose, the odds of getting an offer from any college (pre-interview) was 21% (as stated above). The odds of getting a Brasenose offer were lower at 11%. For nearly all offer-holders, a direct application was the only route to Brasenose since just 9 offers were made to candidates who were not direct applicants.

When outcomes by subject for Brasenose are compared with the rest of the University (distinguishing between Brasenose offers and offers at any college for direct applicants), some subjects in some years are slightly above and some slightly below the University rates, with the net result being in line with Oxford overall.

On TSR, we have always advised prospective applicants to make the college choice they feel most comfortable with. We advise that whether or not you get an offer is not determined by college choice because subjects operate a common approach to selection. Your chances of getting a Brasenose specific offer are lower than the odds of getting any offer - but by the same token, only a tiny number of students end up with a Brasenose offer who did not make a direct application.

We have confirmed on TSR that overall about 1 in 4 of all students with offers are made an offer by a college other than the one applied to but that experience shows students are very happy as undergraduates with their college. For Brasenose direct applicants, this ratio lies just below 1 in 2. In total, 27 other colleges made offers to some of Brasenose direct applicants this year.

Brasenose Admissions
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
We invited 351 candidates to stay with us - 350 of whom accepted.

That one guy :facepalm:
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
We'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who applied to Brasenose this year and also to release some admissions stats, in case they are of interest.

50% of Brasenose applicants were invited to interview at one of the Oxford colleges (marginally higher than the University shortlisting rate of 48%).

During the two-week interview period (December 5th - 14th), Brasenose's selectors conducted some 840 individual interviews for Brasenose and some second college candidates. They clocked up roughly 300 hours of interviewing (equivalent to nearly 13 days straight). Over the 12 days, current undergraduates hosting interview candidates worked a total of 2,076 person hours! We invited 351 candidates to stay with us - 350 of whom accepted. There were also a small number of skype interview candidates located overseas.

The overall success rate for candidates making a direct application to Brasenose was 21% which is slightly above the University-wide figure of 19%. For comparison, the success rate in 2015 was 21% and for 2014 22%. Success is defined as an offer from either Brasenose or another Oxford college.

If you made a direct application to Brasenose and were interviewed, the odds of achieving an offer (from us or any other college) were 40%. If you did not make a direct application to us and were interviewed, the odds of success were 39%.

If you did apply to Brasenose, the odds of getting an offer from any college (pre-interview) was 21% (as stated above). The odds of getting a Brasenose offer were lower at 11%. For nearly all offer-holders, a direct application was the only route to Brasenose since just 9 offers were made to candidates who were not direct applicants.

When outcomes by subject for Brasenose are compared with the rest of the University (distinguising between Brasenose offers and offers at any college for direct applicants), some subjects in some years are slightly above and some slightly below the University rates, with the net result being in line with Oxford overall.

On TSR, we have always advised prospective applicants to make the college choice they feel most comfortable with. We advise that whether or not you get an offer is not determined by college choice because subjects operate a common approach to selection. Your chances of getting a Brasenose specific offer are lower than the odds of getting any offer - but by the same token, only a tiny number of students end up with a Brasenose offer who did not make a direct application.

We have confirmed on TSR that overall about 1 in 4 of all students with offers are made an offer by a college other than the one applied to but that experience shows students are very happy as undergraduates with their college. For Brasenose direct applicants, this ratio lies just below 1 in 2. In total, 27 other colleges made offers to some of Brasenose direct applicants this year.

Brasenose Admissions

You're clearly a very popular college. For good reason too. :smile:
Does anyone know when UCAS Track will be updated? Or has it already been updated for anyone?
Original post by blehxxx
Does anyone know when UCAS Track will be updated? Or has it already been updated for anyone?

If I'm not mistaken, it will be updated before the end of January-- at least that's what they said in my letter?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blehxxx

My offer from Worcester came in the post and I'm still waiting for my UCAS Track to be updated too. Hopefully they'll update them soon bc I'm half worried!
Original post by tchaikovskyed
If I'm not mistaken, it will be updated before the end of January-- at least that's what they said in my letter?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, my letter said that too!
I got told on or around 25th January for UCAS update.
There's currently a poll ongoing about which is more famous: Oxford or Cambridge. Thought this may be of interest.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4516442

PS: Go for Oxford. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending