The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Is it too late to apply?

Hello everyone,

I sent off my UCAS application last week before the deadline, but have now realised that it may be possible for me to go to Queen Mary (I had written off the possibility before). I decided not to apply to Queen Mary before because I thought that there would be no way that I would be able to afford to live in London, and because it was ranked as one of the worst universities in the country for teaching quality in the Sunday Times university guide.

However, I was talking to someone the other day about their Drama course (I want to do a joint honours degree in French and Drama), and have realised that Queen Mary's French and Drama course might be the course for me. I am now kicking myself for writing off the uni so early.

So, I have a few questions for those who go there (especially if they study French or Drama):

1) Do you think that The Sunday Times University Guide is correct? Is the teaching quality really that awful? What is the teaching like for Drama and languages (especially French)?

2) Is it really as hard financially as people day it is to live in London while studying for your degree? How do you afford it? Do you have to work a ridiculous amount of hours during your degree just to be financially comfortable? Can you ever afford not to work for a period of time so that you can focus on university work, especially during exam time? How do you afford to live in London during the second year when you do not get university accommodation?

3) How competitive is the drama course? Is there any point in me sending them my UCAS application 3/4 days after the deadline?

If it helps, I already have my A level grades (I decided to apply during my gap year) and they exceed the entry requirements.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. The website said that the university would still consider applications that arrive after the deadline, but that there might be some departments that would not. I tried to see if this was the case with the languages and Drama departments (especially Drama, as more people apply for that whereas there is almost always a lack of people applying to study languages, as far as I know), but I couldn't find any more information about it on the website.

Thank you for your time
Reply 1
Hello everyone,

I sent off my UCAS application last week before the deadline, but have now realised that it may be possible for me to go to Queen Mary (I had written off the possibility before). I decided not to apply to Queen Mary before because I thought that there would be no way that I would be able to afford to live in London, and because it was ranked as one of the worst universities in the country for teaching quality in the Sunday Times university guide.

However, I was talking to someone the other day about their Drama course (I want to do a joint honours degree in French and Drama), and have realised that Queen Mary's French and Drama course might be the course for me. I am now kicking myself for writing off the uni so early.

So, I have a few questions for those who go there (especially if they study French or Drama):

1) Do you think that The Sunday Times University Guide is correct? Is the teaching quality really that awful? What is the teaching like for Drama and languages (especially French)?

2) Is it really as hard financially as people day it is to live in London while studying for your degree? How do you afford it? Do you have to work a ridiculous amount of hours during your degree just to be financially comfortable? Can you ever afford not to work for a period of time so that you can focus on university work, especially during exam time? How do you afford to live in London during the second year when you do not get university accommodation?

3) How competitive is the drama course? Is there any point in me sending them my UCAS application 3/4 days after the deadline?

If it helps, I already have my A level grades (I decided to apply during my gap year) and they exceed the entry requirements.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. The website said that the university would still consider applications that arrive after the deadline, but that there might be some departments that would not. I tried to see if this was the case with the languages and Drama departments (especially Drama, as more people apply for that whereas there is almost always a lack of people applying to study languages, as far as I know), but I couldn't find any more information about it on the website.

Thank you for your time
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Garno45
Hello everyone,

Thank you for your time

What are your a level grades, out of interest??
Reply 3
Original post by john2054
What are your a level grades, out of interest??

A*, A, B
Reply 4
Original post by Garno45
A*, A, B

in which subjects?
Reply 5
in which subjects?

Art, English lit and French
Reply 6
Original post by Garno45
Art, English lit and French

Good luck, i have told that Lots of London universities, aren't good places, and that there are too many foreigners there. But, i guess uni is only as good as you make it. Good luck with whatever you decide??
Uni in London isn't a great experience for those of us who aren't super-wealthy. I honestly wouldn't recommend.
Good luck, i have told that Lots of London universities, aren't good places, and that there are too many foreigners there. But, i guess uni is only as good as you make it. Good luck with whatever you decide??

How is this a bad thing? Your xenophobia is almost as despicable as your love of debt.
Reply 9
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
How is this a bad thing? Your xenophobia is almost as despicable as your love of debt.

I'm just passing on what i've heard...

LSE/UCL/Imperial are better than pretty much any UK university apart from Oxford and Cambridge. The fact that foreigners are attending these universities shows that they are world renowned and sought after by people all over the world. As well as this, the foreign students do pay like three times what UK applicants pay per year

Quick Reply

Latest