The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL January 2017 Physics Unit 2

Discussion of Jan 2017 IAL physics unit 2

Scroll to see replies

Hi i am giving the paper in jan but have no idea how to revise any tips?
I mostly face difficulty in writing the theory part
Hey, how did it well, what did you find the most difficult/easy question ?
Original post by IgorFomenkov
Hey, how did it well, what did you find the most difficult/easy question ?

It was okaayy
But the last 2 questions were horrible

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I found the exam today quite difficult, does anyone know what an A or B would be?
And for the Vstop question there was a 5 mark question about it, what did you have to put?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Abm-es
I found the exam today quite difficult, does anyone know what an A or B would be?
And for the Vstop question there was a 5 mark question about it, what did you have to put?

It can vary from 40 to 50 for A
I think in that question we had to write about photoelectric emission
Reply 6
I solved past papers of last 4-5 years, today's paper was the toughest.
Reply 7
I agree with you i was getting over 60 and A in all of them and felt confident but this one made me think i did awful. I have no idea how it went but i needed an A and i think this exam was the hardest i ve seen, especially due to the last 3 questions.
Reply 8
Well i wrote about the process of the photoelectric effect i dont think ill get awarded with any of the 5 marks. Im very surprised the questions they put in, especially the LED question, the V stop, the last one of the doppler effect and the transparent plastic between the polarising filters, what did you think of them?
Original post by Abm-es
I agree with you i was getting over 60 and A in all of them and felt confident but this one made me think i did awful. I have no idea how it went but i needed an A and i think this exam was the hardest i ve seen, especially due to the last 3 questions.

This wasnt the most difficult, infact it was quite easier than june 16
Reply 10
help meh please
Reply 11
please
Original post by Abm-es
Well i wrote about the process of the photoelectric effect i dont think ill get awarded with any of the 5 marks. Im very surprised the questions they put in, especially the LED question, the V stop, the last one of the doppler effect and the transparent plastic between the polarising filters, what did you think of them?

Yes, I agree that the exam was harder than usual, but it was nit unsolvable, I even found June 2016 more difficult

Briefly about the questions:
1. LED: just a quite ordinary question. In the question with founding the resistance just counted the number of bulbs. Got resistance of something like 1500 ohms
2. V stop: a question on photoelectric effect, the general idea is that negative charge is being emitted from the plate and it becomes positive
3. Doppler effect: got approximately 56 m/s as speed of a car
4. Not sure what to wire about the transparent plastic between the polarizing filters though *((
Reply 13
Original post by Sumaiyya1999
This wasnt the most difficult, infact it was quite easier than june 16

In june 16 i got a high C and i just wanted to improve this grade but i think the LED and Vstop just made me go blanc. The rest was fine, and not that hard but those 2 questions were a lot of marcs and makes me think i ve done bad.
In coclusion i think it was tough but not super difficult. Just wanted to share this with some of you to see what you thought about it. I think an A will be around 48.
Original post by Abm-es
In june 16 i got a high C and i just wanted to improve this grade but i think the LED and Vstop just made me go blanc. The rest was fine, and not that hard but those 2 questions were a lot of marcs and makes me think i ve done bad.
In coclusion i think it was tough but not super difficult. Just wanted to share this with some of you to see what you thought about it. I think an A will be around 48.

Hi5 even i got a C in june but lets just hope for the best i need an A in this paper somehow
Original post by IgorFomenkov
Yes, I agree that the exam was harder than usual, but it was nit unsolvable, I even found June 2016 more difficult

Briefly about the questions:
1. LED: just a quite ordinary question. In the question with founding the resistance just counted the number of bulbs. Got resistance of something like 1500 ohms
2. V stop: a question on photoelectric effect, the general idea is that negative charge is being emitted from the plate and it becomes positive
3. Doppler effect: got approximately 56 m/s as speed of a car
4. Not sure what to wire about the transparent plastic between the polarizing filters though *((

The bonds of plastic were unevenly stretched so at some points the bonds rotated the plane of polarisation of light so that it was no longer perpendicular to the plane of polarisation of the 2nd filter so light is seen. I just applied a little bit of chemistry
Found it easier than June 16(Also got a high C).
I got 29.x or 30 m/s for the second-last velocity question.
Original post by OnTheHorizon
Found it easier than June 16(Also got a high C).
I got 29.x or 30 m/s for the second-last velocity question.

It was definitely easier than june 2016
The official mark schemes are available on bilal ahmed blog now
Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have the modal answers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending