The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WhiteScythe
It is true that you have an equal likelihood of getting into Cambridge whatever college you apply to. That is virtually indubitable. However, some colleges will intake stronger candidates inevitably if they're direct candidates compared to other colleges which have to take more pooled candidates. Is there are ranking system for colleges based on that criteria?

I guess you could always request for information on UMS statistics of applicants by college pre-2016 (mean UMS, percentage above a certain UMS, applicants above some UMS per place... whatever floats your boat)
Reply 641
Original post by wolfmoon88
So if you meet the offer, you are in but you have to wait until 17th August for it to be finalised regardless?

Sorry for the questions :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

No your offer should go Unconditional when you meet it. The problems arise when you don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 642
It is true that you have an equal likelihood of getting into Cambridge whatever college you apply to. That is virtually indubitable. However, some colleges will intake stronger candidates inevitably if they're direct candidates compared to other colleges which have to take more pooled candidates. Is there are ranking system for colleges based on that criteria?

Cambridge Admissions Stats has the number of direct vs pool offers.

But that's not a good way to pick a college, as Cambridge itself points out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
No your offer should go Unconditional when you meet it. The problems arise when you don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool :biggrin: thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abstract_Prism
'Oh boy, I got an offer from Cambridge! Everyone's going to be impressed when I say what uni I go to, and I'm going to have such great graduate prospects!'

I hate Cambridge 1.png

Okay, I'm not even being funny but this is genuinely depressing me so much. I'm not even happy about my Cambridge offer. I'm really not. I'm so unhappy. Yeah, I've got Cambridge, but it's not Oxford. Ever since I was young I've considered Oxford superior to Cambridge, regardless of whether that holds out in reality. Oxford is my dream university. When I was taken on a trip to Cambridge in Year 7, I was like 'Bah! I wish it was Oxford instead.' Now it's so entrenched in me that Oxford is better, that Cambridge is really just a second-rate Oxford, that I can't be happy. I'm constantly trying to rationalise to myself and justify that Cambridge is just as good as Oxford, but it's impossible. Oxford is more famous, more beautiful, its graduates have better prospects, etc. Every single time I see Oxford mentioned in popular culture, I just die a little bit more inside.

I'm not even joking, this whole thing is making me so sad. And things like the above just convince me further.

What's wrong with me?

(I didn't apply to Oxford because TSR convinced me I'd never get in because of my awful GCSEs)

Why would you want to be a solicitor when you could be a barrister?

What is the relevance of that chart to you? Where would you be positioned on a chart of statistical information about Cambridge Law students with regard to what school you attended, or your qualifications? Yet you have made it. So why do you think you can't make it to a US London Law firm, regardless of the statistical probability of students from Cambridge vs Oxford? Face up to the challenge, that is what makes achievement worthwhile!
(edited 7 years ago)
'Oh boy, I got an offer from Cambridge! Everyone's going to be impressed when I say what uni I go to, and I'm going to have such great graduate prospects!'

I hate Cambridge 1.png

Okay, I'm not even being funny but this is genuinely depressing me so much. I'm not even happy about my Cambridge offer. I'm really not. I'm so unhappy. Yeah, I've got Cambridge, but it's not Oxford. Ever since I was young I've considered Oxford superior to Cambridge, regardless of whether that holds out in reality. Oxford is my dream university. When I was taken on a trip to Cambridge in Year 7, I was like 'Bah! I wish it was Oxford instead.' Now it's so entrenched in me that Oxford is better, that Cambridge is really just a second-rate Oxford, that I can't be happy. I'm constantly trying to rationalise to myself and justify that Cambridge is just as good as Oxford, but it's impossible. Oxford is more famous, more beautiful, its graduates have better prospects, etc. Every single time I see Oxford mentioned in popular culture, I just die a little bit more inside.

I'm not even joking, this whole thing is making me so sad. And things like the above just convince me further.

What's wrong with me?

(I didn't apply to Oxford because TSR convinced me I'd never get in because of my awful GCSEs)

Let me state the obvious. First you need to secure your offer assuming it is conditional. THEN you need to graduate, preferably with at least a 2:1! This is irrelevant, you don't have to go you know.

I hate Cambridge 1.png

What's wrong with me?

Don't be such a child. Amongst many employers Cambridge is more highly renowned. Turn down your offer if Cambridge is so terrible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hate Cambridge 1.png

What's wrong with me?

This is tasteless and insensitive. You should know better, having followed these threads for some time.

I suggest if Cambridge is so very infra dig, you re-apply to Oxford next year, though why you want to go there in the first place god only knows. Incidentally, University isn't just about what job you get at the end of it - it's not supposed to be vocational training. It's supposed to be an education, and in that sense Cambridge is, and always will be, superior to Oxford, imho.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
This is tasteless and insensitive. You should know better, having followed these threads for some time.

I suggest if Cambridge is so very infra dig, you re-apply to Oxford next year, though why you want to go there in the first place god only knows. Incidentally, University isn't just about what job you get at the end of it - it's not supposed to be vocational training. It's supposed to be an education, and in that sense Cambridge is, and always will be, superior to Oxford, imho.

I take your point. The reality for many of us though is that we are taking on massive debt to get our education and therefore do need to think about future employment prospects. I know it is not about vocational training but often courses with vocational elements eg anything medical, engineering do appear to have better graduate progression stats. I may be wrong here, feel free to correct me.

I wish it was just about the education though but I ( and I suspect other students out there) also need to be pragmatic.
Reply 649
Original post by Reality Check

Welcome back :smile:

I hate Cambridge 1.png

What's wrong with me?

Is this satire?
Original post by jneill
Welcome back :smile:

:smile: Happy to be back in the scrum.

I hate Cambridge 1.png

What's wrong with me?

This is honestly such an inconsiderate thing to post on this thread given that many TSR members didn't make it to either institutions. You're lucky enough to have the opportunity to go, so don't make ridiculous statistics doubt your capability of doing well after graduating.
Original post by 210555
I take your point. The reality for many of us though is that we are taking on massive debt to get our education and therefore do need to think about future employment prospects. I know it is not about vocational training but often courses with vocational elements eg anything medical, engineering do appear to have better graduate progression stats. I may be wrong here, feel free to correct me.

I wish it was just about the education though but I ( and I suspect other students out there) also need to be pragmatic.

I do understand that indebted students need to have at least an eye on their future career prospects, and our more worthy aspirations to pure academic enrichment much be tempered with a dose of dirty economic reality, so this is not an unreasonable observation of yours. However, it is not this I took objection to - it was the spurious assertion that Oxford is somehow some graduate paradise where US firms are practically falling over themselves to offer jobs and riches.
Original post by HolyRomanEmpire
Is this satire?

:biggrin:
No. Just a tiny piece of data taken completely out of context. :wink:
Reply 655
I hate Cambridge 1.png

Oh and I also found the source for that poll. A post on TSR from 2006 with an OP going by the name of "one_silly_person"...

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=293301

Okay, I'm not even being funny but this is genuinely depressing me so much. I'm not even happy about my Cambridge offer. I'm

This is such useless drivel. If you dislike Cambridge so much then withdraw.

(also massive lol at Cambridge being second-rate Oxford)

I hate Cambridge 1.png

What's wrong with me?

Hang on a minute! 🤔

Is this a 'BabyBarista' evil tactic to undermine and demoralize fellow offer holders for Law? 👿

Perhaps get them all wishing they had gone to Oxford, and being jaded throughout their studies?

Well it wont work on me! 😎 I have spotted your wicked ruse!
Reply 658

True. Pooling occurs mainly because a college gets so many applicants, many that turn out to be strong and so they decide to put you in the pool because they think you're a strong applicant however they don't have a place for you at their college, for different reasons including the strength of the other applicants or that you might work better with another DoS. There's no real ranking although the big colleges like King's and Trinity will tend to pool quite a few applicants because there's just a lot of applicants applying to their college and instead of rejecting 'other' candidates who actually have potential they'll place them in the pool and other colleges with perhaps less ideal applicants will 'fish' them.
Original post by jneill
Oh and I also found the source for that poll. A post on TSR from 2006 with an OP going by the name of "one_silly_person"...

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=293301

lol you're brilliant at digging up old craps. :biggrin:

Right, I should edit my post then......

Original post by vincrows
:biggrin:
No. Just a tiny piece of ancient data taken completely out of context. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending