The Student Room Group

Why do so many people hate maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saharan_skies
What do you mean you didn't become a doctor??????:angry::angry::angry:
pfft, I 'thankfully' picked a respectable(??) field that they approve of. Astrophysics is it for me :biggrin: What about you?

lolol im actually in year 11 oops:colondollar:. my a level plan was fine art, art history and film studies and i was thinking of a career in film though

Astrophysics is amazing.
Original post by Faloodeh
lolol im actually in year 11 oops:colondollar:. my a level plan was fine art, art history and film studies and i was thinking of a career in film though

Astrophysics is amazing.

o, no, i haven't actually gotten into a uni yet, that's just what I want to do for my field hehe. and that sounds briLLIANT. Your A-level plan sounds really creative and interesting in my opinion. In another life, I would have loved to delve into all of that:wink:. I'm picking a more Sciency path as is obvious. (Physics, Maths, Chemistry and EPQ as my AS) My boyfriend also wants to do something similar to you, except he's picked English lit and Maths like me haha.
Original post by saharan_skies
o, no, i haven't actually gotten into a uni yet, that's just what I want to do for my field hehe. and that sounds briLLIANT. Your A-level plan sounds really creative and interesting in my opinion. In another life, I would have loved to delve into all of that:wink:. I'm picking a more Sciency path as is obvious. (Physics, Maths, Chemistry and EPQ as my AS) My boyfriend also wants to do something similar to you, except he's picked English lit and Maths like me haha.

Sounds like a lot of work, chemistry makes my head hurt lol. Goodluck to the both of you:smile:
Original post by Faloodeh
Sounds like a lot of work, chemistry makes my head hurt lol. Goodluck to the both of you:smile:

haha, that's me with english!! good luck to you too :h:
People generally don't like maths because they're bad at it. The 'one correct answer' (which IS the case at school) goes both ways, it's nice to know you got it 'properly' right but fi you get it wrong then there's no room for grey, it's just wrong - whereas in English it's more of a sliding scale.

It's also taught really badly for the most part - no real world application, no creativity, just pages and pages of boring exercises. Often maths teachers don't even have the best grasp of the subject themselves, many haven't actually got a degree in Maths and while you don't need to know really advanced mathematics to teach GCSE maths at a basic level - I definitely think a deeper understand helps you teach better and engage the kids more.
One of the reason could be that mathematics is teached badly at school.

Original post by Pikachū
Because you need logic and the ability to think to do maths which most people don't have.

That is right. Moreover the problem is the lessons in mathematics don't hardly give students a chance to get better in thinking logically.
I hate math because when i can't solve an equation people say's to me that i am dumb that i won't get to achieve anything in life, even though i'm great at other subjects, it's the students that discourages me to learn math and i'm also forgetful so yeah..
Original post by Welshstig
It gets taught incorrectly - learning by rote - which I personally believe is just terrible.

Yeah I agree, people relying on teachers that aren't or even are good at maths usually won't do well in it, I started improving in maths and went from 5s to 8s because I started doing loads at home, and I started finding that the way it was taught at school was just slow, however some people might still might not become good at it and enjoy it revising loads.
Damn, didn't realise this thread was over a year old before replying.
I hate maths because i see it as pointless. the only bit i do agree with is learning percentages and decimals basically what we need in our everyday life. so why make us find the area of a triangle using trignometry or something, or vectors when its not relatable. the fact that it is a subject that requires application rather than memorisation makes it a lot harder to do and understand
Original post by inactive100
Whenever I ask a group of people which subject they hate the most or find the hardest, about 80-90% of them will name maths (and then the second highest would be physics)

I was just wondering why people find it so difficult / so hard?

I personally enjoy maths and hate subjects like English because it's so wishy-washy (by that I mean maths is usually just right or wrong and it's very logical).

I get that some people just have their dislikes but the dislike of maths seems to be so much more prevalent than other subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

math is my fave
and i hate physics and english
I do not mind maths. I am not the best at it though my favourite topic has to be trigonometry. But I really enjoy physics and seem to do far better in that more than maths.
Original post by JustSomeRandomer
I do not mind maths. I am not the best at it though my favourite topic has to be trigonometry. But I really enjoy physics and seem to do far better in that more than maths.

Sometimes I felt the same. I mentioned a possible reason above: a great number of lessons in mathematics, especially at A levels or some degrees before, are very therotical without a real reference, in contrast to the calculations in physics. Those lessons have a real reference.
Original post by Kallisto
Sometimes I felt the same. I mentioned a possible reason above: a great number of lessons in mathematics, especially at A levels or some degrees before, are very therotical without a real reference, in contrast to the calculations in physics. Those lessons have a real reference.

I enjoy the theory more in physics its more interesting
Original post by chloewright11
I hate maths because i see it as pointless. the only bit i do agree with is learning percentages and decimals basically what we need in our everyday life. so why make us find the area of a triangle using trignometry or something, or vectors when its not relatable. the fact that it is a subject that requires application rather than memorisation makes it a lot harder to do and understand

To be fair, a lot of things in Decision Mathematics can be quite useful in real life (finding shortest routes, maximising income / minimising costs, allocating workers to tasks, transportation...). I don't see why they don't push it more - it's one of the least commonly taken branches of maths at A-level.
Original post by inactive100
Whenever I ask a group of people which subject they hate the most or find the hardest, about 80-90% of them will name maths (and then the second highest would be physics)

I was just wondering why people find it so difficult / so hard?

I personally enjoy maths and hate subjects like English because it's so wishy-washy (by that I mean maths is usually just right or wrong and it's very logical).

I get that some people just have their dislikes but the dislike of maths seems to be so much more prevalent than other subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only read your title but 90% of the time because they are not good at it or can't become good at it quickly/in an easy way
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by JustSomeRandomer
I enjoy the theory more in physics its more interesting

Agree, especially in terms of Quamtum Physics. No matter whether the determination of location or momentum of an electron by Heisenberg's uncertainty principle or discrete energy by the wave funciton in Schrödinger's equation: it is exciting!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Kallisto
Agree, especially in terms of Quamtum Physics. No matter whether the determination of location or momentum of an electron by Heisenberg's uncertainty principle or discrete energy by the wave funciton in SSchrödinger's equation: it is exciting!

Slow it down I am only on GCSE level:s-smilie:
I may be slightly biased here based on A Levels alone, but I'll detail my maths story (FM, M, Ph, Chem)

For me it ended up being a language thing, when I was less proficient at English, numbers, math, was in any case, the language that both me and my peers could both grasp firmly, it ended up bridging the gap between us and in a sense brought us closer together.

My initial love of mathematics began with (to my current self's dismay), a slightly empiricist approach
"Mathematics is the gate and key of the sciences. ... Neglect of mathematics works injury to all knowledge, since he who is ignorant of it cannot know the other sciences or the things of this world. And what is worse, men who are thus Ignorant are unable to perceive their own ignorance and so do not seek a remedy."

Whilst the last part is a tad edgier, Mathematics is the gate and key of the sciences resonated strongly with me, as someone young, and curious about the world around me, especially in one lied around us, beyond us, mathematics just seemed like the right path to help me achieve that.

Eventually you come to appreciate mathematics' beauty for what it really is, and begin to appreciate it for its own merits, as opposed to its beneficial use elsewhere in science (although I still appreciate that). Within it are some of the most beautiful and complex conceptions one can conjure. Which takes me aback when many tell me that Mathematics is not 'creative' field, when you take a look at the works of Euler, Newton, Leibniz, Euclid, Archimedes, Taylor, who spearheaded new phenomena in mathematics seemingly out of nowhere, you realise that to really call yourself a Mathematician you need a lot of thought.

However it is understandable for people to say that, and for people who grew up under the British education system, it really isn't surprising. Given that Mathematics as taught in schools has largely been stripped away of the awe and wow factor that inspired young mathematicians generations ago, now being reduced to just memorising rote techniques, discouraging thinking outside the box, critical thinking, and problem solving (GCSE 9-1 is a step in the right direction though but more needs to be done). These latter kinds of skills are what to me makes a mathematician.

Would just like to end on a quote from Hilbert, in response to when one of his pupils dropped out to pursue a career in poetry: "Good, he did not have enough imagination to become a mathematician".
Because they find it difficult and boring

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending