The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
@Abstract_Prism According to LinkedIn

Oxford law alumni working in London: 2,801
Top employers: Freshfields (61), Linklaters (54), Clifford Chance, Allen & Overy, HSF, Hogan Lovells, Slaughter & May.

Cambridge : 3,226
Top employers: Linklaters (67), Freshfields (56), HSF, Allen & Overy, Slaughter & May, Clifford Chance

Same old same old...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Abstract_Prism
'Oh boy, I got an offer from Cambridge! Everyone's going to be impressed when I say what uni I go to, and I'm going to have such great graduate prospects!'

I hate Cambridge 1.png

Okay, I'm not even being funny but this is genuinely depressing me so much. I'm not even happy about my Cambridge offer. I'm really not. I'm so unhappy. Yeah, I've got Cambridge, but it's not Oxford. Ever since I was young I've considered Oxford superior to Cambridge, regardless of whether that holds out in reality. Oxford is my dream university. When I was taken on a trip to Cambridge in Year 7, I was like 'Bah! I wish it was Oxford instead.' Now it's so entrenched in me that Oxford is better, that Cambridge is really just a second-rate Oxford, that I can't be happy. I'm constantly trying to rationalise to myself and justify that Cambridge is just as good as Oxford, but it's impossible. Oxford is more famous, more beautiful, its graduates have better prospects, etc. Every single time I see Oxford mentioned in popular culture, I just die a little bit more inside.

I'm not even joking, this whole thing is making me so sad. And things like the above just convince me further.

What's wrong with me?

(I didn't apply to Oxford because TSR convinced me I'd never get in because of my awful GCSEs)

Mate no offence but as good as TSR is it's not the beacon of flawless logic of which to live your life by. You should've applied to Oxford if that's where you'd rather be. Also my friends are struggling to get into the local ex-poly, offers from Oxford OR Cambridge are something to be proud of. They're, in my opinion, more similar than they are different and people outside the realm of TSR regard them as equally fantastic.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 662
Original post by vincrows
lol you're brilliant at digging up old craps. :biggrin:

Right, I should edit my post then......

I'm seriously of a mind to re-run the poll.

Guaranteed to be Top Trending within minutes :smile:
@vincrows @Platopus I will tell you two about everything when I'm not studying (I'm on such a revision spree right now) Love you both :hugs: expect it Friday (tomorrow night) or the weekend!!!
Original post by SteamboatMickey
@vincrows @Platopus I will tell you two about everything when I'm not studying (I'm on such a revision spree right now) Love you both :hugs: expect it Friday (tomorrow night) or the weekend!!!

No rush, as I said.
You do what you need to do now. And meet the offer. That's much more important. :smile:
No rush, as I said.
You do what you need to do now. And meet the offer. That's much more important. :smile:

I can't stop studying! So much motivation. I'm going to start staying back on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays just to try and meet the offer. That'll start formally in February though. I have to have some dental fillings etc next Thursday :frown:

Any (from anyone) revision/studying tips? :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Abstract_Prism
'Oh boy, I got an offer from Cambridge! Everyone's going to be impressed when I say what uni I go to, and I'm going to have such great graduate prospects!'

I hate Cambridge 1.png

Okay, I'm not even being funny but this is genuinely depressing me so much. I'm not even happy about my Cambridge offer. I'm really not. I'm so unhappy. Yeah, I've got Cambridge, but it's not Oxford. Ever since I was young I've considered Oxford superior to Cambridge, regardless of whether that holds out in reality. Oxford is my dream university. When I was taken on a trip to Cambridge in Year 7, I was like 'Bah! I wish it was Oxford instead.' Now it's so entrenched in me that Oxford is better, that Cambridge is really just a second-rate Oxford, that I can't be happy. I'm constantly trying to rationalise to myself and justify that Cambridge is just as good as Oxford, but it's impossible. Oxford is more famous, more beautiful, its graduates have better prospects, etc. Every single time I see Oxford mentioned in popular culture, I just die a little bit more inside.

I'm not even joking, this whole thing is making me so sad. And things like the above just convince me further.

What's wrong with me?

(I didn't apply to Oxford because TSR convinced me I'd never get in because of my awful GCSEs)

Alongside others I have expressed my opinion as to why I think this post is misguided. However, I would hate to think that the OP feels unable to participate on this forum.

So to @abtract_prism please continue, I have enjoyed your contributions over the last few weeks. Best wishes 😀
Original post by 210555
Alongside others I have expressed my opinion as to why I think this post is misguided. However, I would hate to think that the OP feels unable to participate on this forum.

So to @abtract_prism please continue, I have enjoyed your contributions over the last few weeks. Best wishes 😀

@Abstract_Prism I think I'm feeling a twinge of what you're feeling, albeit to a much less exaggerated degree. Having waited for the result for the better part of 4 months, the initial elation was great but started to wear off the moment I went back to doing guard duty day after day in my military camp (explains why I'm always so free to post even in the wee hours).

My expectations were let down once the mundane life set back in, and I too started to worry about how I'd be away from home, how I'm just nothing special and one of many students who would likely struggle to keep up initially etc. I know this is temporary though, and I'm still excited to dive into this new phase of life and you should (will) be too. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 668
lol you're brilliant at digging up old craps. :biggrin:

Original post by jneill
I'm seriously of a mind to re-run the poll.

Guaranteed to be Top Trending within minutes :smile:

Seems I was wrong! LOL.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4516442
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by daniilS
Sent you a pm

Hi, i'm also an offer holder for emma :smile:( mml) can you( or indeed, anyone) pm me details on how to get on the fb chat? also, does anyone know if there is an offer holders day?
I got an offer to study mathematics, and I applied for the 4 year course (MMath), but in the decision letter they say the course lasts 3 years (Qualification BA (Hons)). Does any of you know why?
Original post by SteamboatMickey

No worries, take you time! Congrats again :smile: feeling proud.
Original post by harlem_basket
I got an offer to study mathematics, and I applied for the 4 year course (MMath), but in the decision letter they say the course lasts 3 years (Qualification BA (Hons)). Does any of you know why?

Perhaps because places in Part III Mathematics is subject to getting a First? Maybe @Zacken or @physicsmaths can clarify :/
Original post by Infested
Perhaps because places in Part III Mathematics is subject to getting a First? Maybe @Zacken or @physicsmaths can clarify :/

Not necessarily a first, but yes. Everybody is put on the three year BA course with entrance to Part III being something decided and finalised in third year. This is standard.

MDoes any of you know why?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Not necessarily a first, but yes. Everybody is put on the three year BA course with entrance to the BA being something decided and finalised in third year. This is standard.

with entrance to the MMath, perhaps? Thank you very much anyway for clarifying it. :smile:
with entrance to the MMath, perhaps? Thank you very much anyway for clarifying it. :smile:

Part III, my bad.
Original post by HolyRomanEmpire
Is this satire?

My thoughts exactly! I genuinely thought it was a joke (albeit a bit twisted)
My fellow Historians or anyone who does/did/helped someone else do A-Level History

I'm currently, and have been for the last four hours, copying out brief notes from my textbook. Yay or nay? Any suggested revision strategies etc? Thinking of re-writing them out later in a nice A4 notebook with coloured pens
That face when your bait is a little too good...

18 notifications, my goodness...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 679

You need to do well enough to progress to the MMath.

I think that's standard.

@physicsmaths @Zacken ?