The Student Room Group

Camp America with police caution

Hi I want to do camp America this summer but about 3 years ago received a police caution for common assault it was a stupid drunken fight after a night out and I deeply regret it. I just want to know if anyone knows how likely it is I will be allowed to work at a camp and if I will be eligible to get a J-1 Visa.
Original post by aldell1995
Hi I want to do camp America this summer but about 3 years ago received a police caution for common assault it was a stupid drunken fight after a night out and I deeply regret it. I just want to know if anyone knows how likely it is I will be allowed to work at a camp and if I will be eligible to get a J-1 Visa.

Contact them and ask if it would be an issue. You might be able to get the visa, not sure. I haven't had any similar issues myself. I would contact them and ask before applying
Very unlikely you would qualify for a Visa. Visa for America typically is declined for any police record that is recent or is serious. Your best course of action would be to contact the American Embassy.
Reply 3
Original post by KhaleesiStorm
Very unlikely you would qualify for a Visa. Visa for America typically is declined for any police record that is recent or is serious. Your best course of action would be to contact the American Embassy.

From doing some research my understanding of it though is that you still qualify if the crime didn't involve moral turpitude and minor assault (common assault) doesn't involve moral turpitude. But it's very confusing as there is a lot of contradictory information. But yea your right the only way of knowing is to contact them myself.
From doing some research my understanding of it though is that you still qualify if the crime didn't involve moral turpitude and minor assault (common assault) doesn't involve moral turpitude. But it's very confusing as there is a lot of contradictory information. But yea your right the only way of knowing is to contact them myself.

I only know what I've experienced. I've been to America twice, and going again this summer. When we went through Immigration at Orlando, the officer there told us that you wouldn't qualify if you had any previous criminal record (my brother was little and asking questions).
Reply 5
Original post by KhaleesiStorm
I only know what I've experienced. I've been to America twice, and going again this summer. When we went through Immigration at Orlando, the officer there told us that you wouldn't qualify if you had any previous criminal record (my brother was little and asking questions).

A caution's not a criminal record though, criminal records are made up of convictions you received from court. But yea maybe the US have a different definition of a criminal record would just be so **** if I couldn't do it because of that but I guess it serves me right.
A caution's not a criminal record though, criminal records are made up of convictions you received from court. But yea maybe the US have a different definition of a criminal record would just be so **** if I couldn't do it because of that but I guess it serves me right.

It is a bit crap, cause I heard a story of a guy who had a conviction from 19 years ago for robbery (it was more petty theft) and he was refused entry.

Hiya, drop an email to [email protected] and they'll be able to help figure out whether you would be able to get a visa :smile:

Pops

Quick Reply

Latest