The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by epsilondelta
Thank you guys! I phoned and she knew who I was before I even gave my name :colondollar: no decision has been made yet, and it could be next week.

Is it too early for a drink?

Never to early for milk (it's cool for cats) and perhaps a bun 😉
Anyone knows how to download the actual files for Sherlock season 4, not just the locked ones from BBC player?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cogito.
Anyone knows how to download the actual files for Sherlock season 4, not just the locked ones from BBC player?

What, the illegal ones? :beard:

Top tip, you can use Quicktime to record and save for personal use.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
:popout:

Have you got any tips for bionatsci, I'm a bit worried lol
What courses did you do and where does most of the lecturing go down?
Original post by Bunratty
Never to early for milk (it's cool for cats) and perhaps a bun 😉

Just got rejected from LSE so I will have a fat day and eat 15 buns :u:

Yeah @cogito. obviously it's illegal to download Sherlock from utorrent gosh
Original post by k.russell
Have you got any tips for bionatsci, I'm a bit worried lol
What courses did you do and where does most of the lecturing go down?

Of course! Have you received an offer for NatSci, or are you a prospective applicant. And so I can answer your question fully, is there any aspect of BioNatSci that particularly interests you at this stage, such as botany, genetics, biochemistry etc?
Just got rejected from LSE so I will have a fat day and eat 15 buns :u:

☹️ Sorry to hear that you didn't get an LSE offer. Never mind, and 🍀 for Cambridge. I assume you are postgrad, what course?
Original post by Reality Check
Of course! Have you received an offer for NatSci, or are you a prospective applicant. And so I can answer your question fully, is there any aspect of BioNatSci that particularly interests you at this stage, such as botany, genetics, biochemistry etc?

It's looking pretty likely that I'll be starting the course in October, as I have already done A levels in maths chem and bio and 'only' need an A in further maths to meet my offer, which is pretty achievable with enough work.
I've made up my mind on some elements of the course for sure, I'd certainly be wanting to do cells, mathematical biology and chemistry - I'm leaning towards evo & behaviour rather than physiology atm and can't see that changing unless I get some pretty good reasons.
I'm mainly worried about the academic workload and I'd like to know what a realistic amount of work to be doing a week is,the 40 hours on the course website seems a bit light to me based on of students (on here and other places) saying they're worked to death.
Since you've now finished the course, I was hoping you could provide me with a more realistic perspective, because as they say 'hindsight is 20/20'. Thanks :smile:
just got my formal offer letter which reads "before your actual college is allocated in August, Girton College will be communicating with you, and making sure that you receive all the appropriate paperwork". exciting but spooky not knowing which college I'll be attending. wish there was some way of knowing what it's likely to be!
Original post by Bunratty

☹️ Sorry to hear that you didn't get an LSE offer. Never mind, and 🍀 for Cambridge. I assume you are postgrad, what course?

Thanks! Yeah haha actually when I logged onto Track I was just relieved that the update wasn't a Cambridge rejection :colone:

I'm undergrad believe it or not, joined the military for three years when I left school so I'm applying as a 'mature' student now at the ripe old age of 22. Seems weird to be back on the giant admin bomb that is civvie street

Edit: Realised I didn't even answer your question :colondollar: Law!
Thanks! Yeah haha actually when I logged onto Track I was just relieved that the update wasn't a Cambridge rejection :colone:

I'm undergrad believe it or not, joined the military for three years when I left school so I'm applying as a 'mature' student now at the ripe old age of 22. Seems weird to be back on the giant admin bomb that is civvie street

Edit: Realised I didn't even answer your question :colondollar: Law!

Ooh which country?? Voluntary or involuntary conscription?
Original post by glimmers
just got my formal offer letter which reads "before your actual college is allocated in August, Girton College will be communicating with you, and making sure that you receive all the appropriate paperwork". exciting but spooky not knowing which college I'll be attending. wish there was some way of knowing what it's likely to be!

Yeah that must be really weird! I suppose you have a good chance of ending up at Girton (with me) but could be anywhere I guess..

Which course is this again? I don't think there's any way of even hazarding a guess. You are a pathfinder for this process :smile:

(Except that unless you are summer fished you WILL be at Girton, so that's tbh the most likely outcome.)
(edited 7 years ago)

At least you still got a bit of excitement left in your academic life :biggrin: other than mugging
Original post by Infested
Ooh which country?? Voluntary or involuntary conscription?

Voluntary. Spent a year at Sandhurst and ended up serving in Sierra, Germany and...Catterick

Haha

Ha

Don't ever go to Catterick :h:
Original post by k.russell
It's looking pretty likely that I'll be starting the course in October, as I have already done A levels in maths chem and bio and 'only' need an A in further maths to meet my offer, which is pretty achievable with enough work.
I've made up my mind on some elements of the course for sure, I'd certainly be wanting to do cells, mathematical biology and chemistry - I'm leaning towards evo & behaviour rather than physiology atm and can't see that changing unless I get some pretty good reasons.
I'm mainly worried about the academic workload and I'd like to know what a realistic amount of work to be doing a week is,the 40 hours on the course website seems a bit light to me based on of students (on here and other places) saying they're worked to death.
Since you've now finished the course, I was hoping you could provide me with a more realistic perspective, because as they say 'hindsight is 20/20'. Thanks :smile:

Ok, plenty there to unpick.

As you know, the beauty of the course is that it's nice and broad in the first year and tapers towards an 'interest' in the later parts of the tripos. All NatSci students have to do a maths paper, and which one that is depends on your prior mathematical study. Were you to chose biological NatSci, you would be doing quantitative biology or you could chose Maths IA from the mathematics tripos if you really wanted a maths overload. Chemistry is always a good choice at IA given it's so central and the Cells course is an excellent grounding in cell biology from both a theoretical and practical standpoint.

Evolution and Behaviour is a fab paper - you'd do very well to choose it. It was the favourite paper of practically everyone I knew at IA and it's rather more discursive nature makes a welcome break from the other 'bench science/maths' papers you're suggesting. You also get some fantastic supervisions out of it where the discussion can reach a fabulously high level.

Now, the academic workload. I feel this is a common misconception. As you're aware, you have a lot of 'contact hours' (to us, lectures, practical, classes and supervisions). I'm not sure on the exact number of hours, but it's significant. You will also have lectures (and probably supervisions) on Saturday mornings at least. However, please don't think that you need to be working all the hours God sends to do well. It is perfectly feasible to put in a 45-hour, 6-day week and do excellently. After all, it's not quantity but quality that counts. And you need to remember that the short terms inevitably mean that you fall behind on the extra reading and work that you'd like to do but just can't fit in - that where the long holidays come in (but make sure you have a couple of weeks completely clear of work to recharge). A lot of this depends on your study habits and efficiency, but most of the people I knew tended to do about 40-50 hour weeks maximum and we all did ok.

Cambridge is wont to bring out extremes in people, and it's entirely understandable that Freshers think that they need to be working literally 24/7 to come anywhere close to success - add to that the vast numbers of Freshers who think they were offered a place 'by mistake' or that they're somehow a fraud, and you've got a potentially toxic mix. But everyone finds a happy working schedule fairly quickly. Be quick to use your DoS for advice and guidance on how much you should be doing and when, and also get the most out of your supervisions: a good one-hour supervision can be worth three hours of self-directed, revision-based study.

Does this help you any?
Voluntary. Spent a year at Sandhurst and ended up serving in Sierra, Germany and...Catterick

Haha

Ha

Don't ever go to Catterick :h:

Ha, we involuntarily conscripted forces can't hold a candle to you guys..
Original post by Infested
Ha, we involuntarily conscripted forces can't hold a candle to you guys..

Ooo I'm interested at that, conscripted where? For how long?
Original post by jneill
Which course is this again? I don't think there's any way of even hazarding a guess. You are a pathfinder for this process :smile:

(Except that unless you are summer fished you WILL be at Girton, so that's tbh the most likely outcome.)

it's for MML, I'm probably the only person for this course with an open offer but the way the letter was worded seemed to suggest I probably won't be going there's though for some reason I don't think think many MML applicants will be missing their offers
Ooo I'm interested at that, conscripted where? For how long?

Singapore, males serve 22-24 months depending on their fitness (enlistees who score beyond a certain mark on their fitness test get to bypass 2 months of physical training.)

It's 1 am here and I'm on duty right now... I finish in March.

I'm in a place that has some allied forces skulking about, we Asians just can't look half as physically imposing as the Caucasian soldiers...
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest