The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gingerbread101
Is this on the app?

Desktop

The aging mobile I have wouldn't be capable of running the app.
Original post by DFranklin
Well, it's certainly on desktop (and annoying).

Also, having 3 stickies with zero activity isn't helping.

Original post by ghostwalker
Desktop

The aging mobile I have wouldn't be capable of running the app.

Out of the stickies, we won't be unstickying the forum guidelines despite it having no activity. I asked previously if people wanted the 'the proof is trivial' sticky removed and the general consensus seemed to be no - has this changed? I can remove/unsticky the GCSE chat thread if you don't want it, but it was only created in the first place off the suggestions we had in here from GCSE students.

I agree that having the page busy and clogged up takes a bit more scrolling to reach people's questions, but the whole point of stickies is that we want people to see them - we can't really do both at the same time :dontknow:
To be honest, I've read some pretty snidey and snarky replies to posts which ask basic questions, or where the OP doesn't understand the solution and/or reasoning and ask for further clarification. It doesn't encourage people to post, lest they're made to feel inferior or stupid. I haven't noticed this on other study help subforums.
Original post by Reality Check
To be honest, I've read some pretty snidey and snarky replies to posts which ask basic questions, or where the OP doesn't understand the solution and/or reasoning and ask for further clarification. It doesn't encourage people to post, lest they're made to feel inferior or stupid. I haven't noticed this on other study help subforums.

This^

It's usually done by the few wastemen who'd get slumped on road
Out of the stickies, we won't be unstickying the forum guidelines despite it having no activity. I asked previously if people wanted the 'the proof is trivial' sticky removed and the general consensus seemed to be no - has this changed? I can remove/unsticky the GCSE chat thread if you don't want it, but it was only created in the first place off the suggestions we had in here from GCSE students.

I agree that having the page busy and clogged up takes a bit more scrolling to reach people's questions, but the whole point of stickies is that we want people to see them - we can't really do both at the same time :dontknow:

I thought the consensus was to unsticky the 'the proof is trivial' thread? I don't remember anyone saying it should stay.

It's a shame about the GCSE thread - I thought it could have worked well but I think this shows that It's hard to manually start a sticky thread. The best stickies have started as popular threads before becoming stickies. And thinking back to the purpose of the GCSE sticky, I would think it's actually more intimidating for a GCSE student to post in a thread with no posts as opposed to starting their own thread.

If I notice a rise in GCSE threads closer to exams then Ill be happy to start another GCSE thread and tag members who I think would be interested.

:confused: My point was about the "Top Content" and nothing to do with stickies.

The stickies would be handled by the index - at least that's what was discussed for several posts.

Excuse me while I go and bang my head against a wall
:confused: My point was about the "Top Content" and nothing to do with stickies.

The stickies would be handled by the index - at least that's what was discussed for several posts.

Excuse me while I go and bang my head against a wall

My point about the stickies was directed more towards DFranklin, who mentioned them but I quoted you in too because it covered more or less the same thing.

Hopefully the index can be made ASAP :smile:

It's very difficult for me to manage this whole discussion given the tangents and arguments that have come off from it, but please remember that all I'm trying to do is put your feedback into place - if you'd like something specific done then please be clear with me and I'll try my best to make it happen :smile:
Does anyone know if 'Top Content' is still just a test? I see no reason why top TSR content would need to be advertised to a user who has decided to visit the maths forum. Surely it would work better on the TSR homepage.
Original post by notnek
Does anyone know if 'Top Content' is still just a test? I see no reason why top TSR content would need to be advertised to a user who has decided to visit the maths forum. Surely it would work better on the TSR homepage.

@Fox Corner ^ ?
Original post by notnek

It's to attract sponsorship I imagine - like the UEA sponsorship agreement in the University life forum.
Original post by notnek

Yep still a test. You'll probably see a few different versions of it come and go in the next couple of weeks. :smile:

It's very difficult for me to manage this whole discussion given the tangents and arguments that have come off from it, but please remember that all I'm trying to do is put your feedback into place - if you'd like something specific done then please be clear with me and I'll try my best to make it happen :smile:

Perhaps if you use the initial post of this thread to keep track of what the current beliefs are, what actions are going to be undertaken and by whom and when. Then everyone would have a clear understanding.
Perhaps if you use the initial post of this thread to keep track of what the current beliefs are, what actions are going to be undertaken and by whom and when. Then everyone would have a clear understanding.

If everyone could give me a succinct post of their current beliefs then I can do this, but it'll take me an age to look through 200 posts of discussion and find people's ideas, where they've changed their ideas and what the current ideas are :colondollar:
What's this top content thing? :tongue:
Original post by usycool1
What's this top content thing? :tongue:

They're content blocks underneath the first post in a thread and under the stickies in the forum with links to top content around the site I think!

Also HI USY! :hugs:
Original post by notnek
I thought the consensus was to unsticky the 'the proof is trivial' thread? I don't remember anyone saying it should stay.I think I argued that "it doesn't serve the same purpose as a Y12 or Y13 thread" (which I'd stand by), but I also said I wasn't particularly a fan of such threads. And I certainly hadn't checked and seen that it hadn't been posted in for months, or I would have been far more unequivocal is saying it should go!
Original post by Fox Corner
Yep still a test. You'll probably see a few different versions of it come and go in the next couple of weeks. :smile:

Ancient proverb:

Foolish is the company that does its testing on a live system.

On a more serious note, TSR is the only site I know off that is forever making changes.

Why not ringfence all the study help forums and stop making changes there - unless absolutely necessary. LaTex usually gets screwed up on average once a year (best I can remember). If you look at the help forums on sites that are dedicated to them, with none of the social "baggage", it's rare that you'll notice any change in format over time. As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Ancient proverb:

Foolish is the company that does its testing on a live system.

Google live tests everything.

Although usually just a sample of their millions of daily visits...
If everyone could give me a succinct post of their current beliefs then I can do this, but it'll take me an age to look through 200 posts of discussion and find people's ideas, where they've changed their ideas and what the current ideas are :colondollar:

Do you realise the implications of that post? No one is keeping track of decisions/ideas.

I despair of TSR, and I've had enough for the foreseeable future.
(edited 7 years ago)
Do you realise the implications of that post? No one is keeping track of decisions/ideas.

I dispair of TSR, and I've had enough for the foreseeable future.

You know gingerbread, like all STs and SLs, is a volunteer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest