The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abstract_Prism
That face when your bait is a little too strong...

18 notifications, my goodness...

1378960_1280x720.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SteamboatMickey
My fellow Historians or anyone who does/did/helped someone else do A-Level History

I'm currently, and have been for the last four hours, copying out brief notes from my textbook. Yay or nay? Any suggested revision strategies etc? Thinking of re-writing them out later in a nice A4 notebook with coloured pens

Yay, but I'd strongly advise planning out potential essays by using those notes as well. Having the knowledge is one thing, but being able to organise and utilise it within the context of a question is another. My mock went well (I think) as I had planned lots of potential, broad, thematic questions that could've come up, and in the end some did.
Reply 682
That face when your bait is a little too strong...

Your grovelling apology is accepted. :smile:

Sample size of 14........

And something tells me polling result here does not quite represent how things are in the real world........
For god sake, you know very well Cambridge forum posters are much more active than Oxford posters!!
It's like a boat race between a boat with full crew of 8 powerful rowers & a very enthusiastic cox and a boat with 4 or 5 lethatgic rowers with a cox with no sense of direction!

Spoiler

Btw do guys in the other place's forum know about the poll?
Or have you just liked it in this forum?
If so, keep,it that way.

:tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
You need to do well enough to progress to the MMath.

I think that's standard.

@physicsmaths @Zacken ?

Yep :smile:

@harlem_basket
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 685
Original post by vincrows
Btw do guys in the other place's forum know about the poll?
Or have you just liked it in this forum?
If so, keep,it that way.

:tongue:

I'm expecting a Dark Blue win eventually.

But I'm sure @fablereader and @wolfmoon88 will vote the Light Blue way anyway...

Relinking the poll - coz it brok
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4516442
(edited 7 years ago)
That face when your bait is a little too good...

If only back-pedalling was an Olympic sport, you'd win gold
Original post by liziepie

:rofl::rofl: PRSOM
That face when your bait is a little too good...

Uh huh. I call ********.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
I'm expecting a Dark Blue win eventually.

But I'm sure @fablereader and @wolfmoon88 will vote the Light Blue way anyway...

Relinking the poll - coz it brok
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4516442

I have been summoned. I will leave now. Thanks for informing me about this! I'll try to make sure my side knows. :biggrin:
My fellow Historians or anyone who does/did/helped someone else do A-Level History

I'm currently, and have been for the last four hours, copying out brief notes from my textbook. Yay or nay? Any suggested revision strategies etc? Thinking of re-writing them out later in a nice A4 notebook with coloured pens

Hope this helps (it has for others doing essay-based subjects):

1. Facts.

Flash cards - but with a twist. It's called spaced repetition (based upon how we memorise). Make your flash cards (for remembering dates, names, places or anything factual based). You are going to have six piles - day 1, day 2, day 4, day 10, day 20, day 50. All cards start in day 1, memorise and those that you have memorised go into day 2, those that you got wrong stay in day 1. Next day those correct on day 2 move to day 4, those that are incorrect move BACK to day 1... then continue to progress cards through the complete system. Do the process daily.

A very, very strong method for remembering facts.

2. Essays.

a) Most days practice writing essay plans (not the essays) for a whole variety of possible questions. Do each in 10 mins (to mimic exam conditions). Drive up your expertise in essay planning.

b) Write an essay in response to a topic question. One a day (yes, every day). Obviously you are going to practice your own board's essays. Also do other boards' that relate to your topics. Make up relevant questions and then write an essay in response. Have your teacher mark some of them. Make this your top priority.

So, you have two strong techniques, one for fact based revision and the other(s) for essay based revision.

The very best of luck.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 691
Original post by liziepie

Back-rowing IS an Olympic sport.

Maybe @Abstract_Prism will get a Blue in rowing backwards.
Original post by jneill
@Abstract_Prism According to LinkedIn

Oxford law alumni working in London: 2,801
Top employers: Freshfields (61), Linklaters (54), Clifford Chance, Allen & Overy, HSF, Hogan Lovells, Slaughter & May.

Cambridge : 3,226
Top employers: Linklaters (67), Freshfields (56), HSF, Allen & Overy, Slaughter & May, Clifford Chance

Same old same old...

PRSOM :tongue:
Original post by 0arbute
ah, mine's Queens. Yeah I have an interview for edinburgh for the same day as you haha just thinking whether or not to still go as I live in London so it would be a huge trek. My second choice would be for sure RVC

Well let me know if you do go to Edinburgh! I am from Suffolk so massive trek too but will probes just fly. See you at the Cambridge vet offer day if you're going!

yup, will do. this is going to sound so weird but what vet offer day are you talking about? I didn't get told about it.......................
awks

Hey :smile:, I always revised by writing out notes not necessarily very pretty or organised notes, but I just wrote them out in a way I could understand, writing down any connections I could make to remember dates, the names of battles, etc. (this is kind of a mnemonic technique, I guess).

Other than that, I would always sort of explain the topics I had to learn to myself out loud. It's a good way of testing yourself and I always found it made me remember facts better!!
Original post by jneill
You need to do well enough to progress to the MMath.

I think that's standard.

@physicsmaths @Zacken ?

Yep.
Basically if you get a first u will be allowed if 2:1 u need to be considered by thr facaulty. U need to be hogh 2:1 tbh
bingo.jpg
how's this for the bridge of meme
Reply 697
Original post by physicsmaths
Yep.
Basically if you get a first u will be allowed if 2:1 u need to be considered by thr facaulty. U need to be hogh 2:1 tbh

Safe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daniilS
bingo.jpg
how's this for the bridge of meme

:biggrin: I imagine you can come up with one of these for just about every course! Personal statements can get terribly generic from what I've read in the TSR wiki "personal statements used to apply to Cambridge" :wink:
Original post by Infested
:biggrin: I imagine you can come up with one of these for just about every course! Personal statements can get terribly generic from what I've read in the TSR wiki "personal statements used to apply to Cambridge" :wink:

Hahaha, got the idea from @liziepie originally but those are exactly what I read through to make this :lol:

Latest

Trending

Trending