The Student Room Group

Culture of racism amongst white students at Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Monkey chants? That's something not even a mentally retarded child would do
Original post by Dandaman1
No, I do get it.

It was wrong - and racist - to call these people monkeys and subject them to racist mockery, provided the accounts are truthful. I did not deny the racism here. Never did.

However, three anecdotes from nameless students about being mocked and called racist names - which could have happened months or even years apart - do not indicate a 'culture of racism' among the white student body at a university. It is simply not substantial or serious enough.

Right. You are changing your words now, because you recognise the mistake?

That is an entirely different point to the one you previously made which I quoted. In this post, you are stating that three incidents of racism is not sufficient to conclude that there exists a "culture of racism". And yeah, I agree, it's not enough information.

But in your first post-

"These experiences, assuming they're all true, aren't particularly bad as far as racism goes. I'm not excusing them, but a lot worse could happen to you than being called a monkey or hearing fried chicken references. I'm assuming these are the worst stories they could find, because if there was anything more serious, that's what we'd be reading about."

You are not discussing those incidents in relation to a wider context, you are discussing the significance of racism on the individual level. You are saying that monkey noises, in your eyes is not a sufficient experience of racism on an individual level.

Two different things. So, have you changed your mind?
Reply 82
"The worst part of it all was the one white guy lagging behind who laughingly apologised on behalf of his friends. Like he wasn’t as racist as them all? If anything he is the worst kind of racists, at least the other guys were comfortable and open in their racism. He’s the type you’d talk to and get on with in lectures, but really, he thinks less of you just because of your skin colour."

lmao what a ridiculous thing to say
Original post by Mathemagicien

Dami
after I had introduced myself to my flatmates one of them asked if he could call me “Danny” instead of Dami.

What's wrong with this? I get my name converted into Hispanic for laughs all the time (it's German). It doesn't seem racist, just some people like nicknames and stuff
Original post by LegalDiaries
Delusional people are always going to deny the existence of racism and you cannot help them.

I am black. I have experienced racism numerous times, even when still at the university.

It happens everyday.

Many times I would just walk away because to fight back (even with words) would lead to a further stereotype of "the angry black woman." It is exhausting, it is humiliating, it is archaic, it is sad!

I have had racist questions directed at me in the disguise of "trying to find out more."

I have had racist stereotypes thrown at me. The kind of "how did you a black person find yourself in this class that only has white people"

I have had the usual "do you live in trees?" "Can you speak to monkeys?" etc

I have sat on a train, only for neighbor to stand and walk away to another seat.

Interestingly, most of these racists are usually miserable people who are not anywhere near my status in life so I choose to ignore. I just cannot associate with them. I wont afford them the dignity of a conversation because they do not deserve it.

Theres bad people everywhere though. Sure deal with it. But there will always be people like that around. People are just dicks.
Original post by NobleLeather
Monkey chants? That's something not even a mentally retarded child would do

I could see drunk people doing monkey chants for a laugh tbh
Original post by Twinpeaks

You are not discussing those incidents in relation to a wider context, you are discussing the significance of racism on the individual level. You are saying that monkey noises, in your eyes is not a sufficient experience of racism on an individual level.

Two different things. So, have you changed your mind?

I said they were not particularly bad experiences of racism. There are worse things than racist mockery.

And while I did not make it clear in my original comment, I was implying that these incidents are not serious enough to warrant the wider accusation (or indeed the attention). I commented on these being the most serious stories they could find (to make their point).

Regardless, it was a reply to a specific TSR user. If it was a general comment, I would have been clearer and more specific.
Original post by Reality Check
The way the SOA 2003 is drafted, the one with the dick. Rape is defined quite closely.

Without wanting to derail the thread, isn't that sexist? To suggest that when both parties are intoxicated it become the males fault seems rather strange and would suggest women aren't capable of making the decision to say no?
Original post by TheExtrovertGod
What's wrong with this? I get my name converted into Hispanic for laughs all the time (it's German). It doesn't seem racist, just some people like nicknames and stuff

Dami does not convert to Danny. They're two completely different names..
Original post by HopelessMedic
Without wanting to derail the thread, isn't that sexist? To suggest that when both parties are intoxicated it become the males fault seems rather strange and would suggest women aren't capable of making the decision to say no?

I'm afraid that's the law as drafted by Parliament - 'rape' is defined as penile penetration, which necessarily restricts it to males (interesting points of law come up with transgender post-ops here). I agree with you that it seems somewhat irrational and maybe not in keeping with our modern times but it is what it is.
Reply 90
Original post by Twinpeaks
Also, a racial Asian stereotype is that Asians are brainy and hard working, that doesn't apply to black students. And the literature suggests that expression of stereotypes does impact behaviour for the better or worse, depending on the particular stereotype.

This is true. It's cultural rather than racial, but it's still real. The stereotype came about as a result of that. So the "stereotypes dictate how well people do" shtick doesn't wash. Stereotypes are descriptive, not prescriptive.
I'm afraid that's the law as drafted by Parliament - 'rape' is defined as penile penetration, which necessarily restricts it to males (interesting points of law come up with transgender post-ops here). I agree with you that it seems somewhat irrational and maybe not in keeping with our modern times but it is what it is.

Women can however be charged with sexual assault, so perhaps it would apply in a situation where the male is drunk and she isn't? Not 100% sure that's ever actually happened in practice though.
Women can however be charged with sexual assault, so perhaps it would apply in a situation where the male is drunk and she isn't? Not 100% sure that's ever actually happened in practice though.

Yes, the SOA 2003 provides for non-penile penetration amongst other things so it's not like a woman sex offender gets off scot-free. She just can't ever be charged with rape.
Original post by Joinedup
The cyber bullying is pretty idiotic though cos that leaves evidence

And the attackers were known to the victim.

If they don't report it nothing will change.
Original post by Willy Pete
And the attackers were known to the victim.

If they don't report it nothing will change.

well if she knew who they were... why does she say she wishes she'd been able to film them or get their names?
Original post by Joinedup
well if she knew who they were... why does she say she wishes she'd been able to film them or get their names?

The other one... The part I quoted... Obviously.
The way the SOA 2003 is drafted, the one with the dick. Rape is defined quite closely.

This is unfair on men that law is sexist. there should be an equivalent sentence and crime for the girl even if they give it a different name.

This is absolutely true, a woman should be equally guilty, but sadly the laws are stacked against men these days.

If a man is drunk but woman is sober she should be sentenced for equal to rape. Naming rape only for penile is sexist and unfair on men.

If a woman goes out and gets drunk and CHOOSES to have sex with someone its not rape- that's just what irresponsible feckless weak minded girls say, who can't take RESPONSIBILITY for their OWN ACTIONS.

If its really true that women can't legally give consent when they are drunk- then they are assisting crime by getting drunk and trying to tempt men into sex
Original post by Nottie
No one is saying racism doesn't exist. But being called Danny instead of Dami is hardly a racism. Monkey calls are not okay, but you can't call every occurrence of rudeness a racism.
I have similar things happening to me too and I'm a white girl.

Dami is literally pronounced D-A-M-M-Y. Are you seriously saying this is too hard to say???
Original post by TheExtrovertGod

For you it might be fine (are you hispanic or german just for clarification?) but for others it can be quite a big issue. You've just joined uni, made some new friends and they just want to change the name you want to be called? Also there are many cases where a name is very hard to say, I'm Nigerian I've seen that happen. But in this case, Dami is not even a hard name to pronounce AT ALL. Therein lies the problem. Why change someone's name or ask to when the name is so simple to pronounce. Furthermore Dami is the short form of the longer name and so it is already a nickname so to speak...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending