The Student Room Group

Let down by poor Open University miscommunication, looking for some advice.

Solved: Delete thread
(edited 3 years ago)
Do you want to do a full degree with the Open University? You have not made that clear. I don't understand why you can't just wait until October 2017 to start? I do not think you will be able to complete a HE Diploma (I assume you mean a CertHE?) and GCSEs in English and Maths by September.
Original post by Jonbonbon1
Okay,

The Open University made me aware that from a January start date, I can study for 60 credits and obtain them before my September start date, this was from multiple calls from before the new year. They recently contacted me and said that actually this information was false, leaving me with crushed hopes and plenty of anxiety about not being able to start in 2017 (mature student aged: 22)

Now, I have been given a sort of 'life-line' by the HE diploma. Three universities I contacted said that they have had conversations of this type in this month. They said that if I were to contact my local institutions, they should be able to put me onto an on-going HE diploma and power me up to speed, as many of the others they've told have done successfully. Either that information was also false or I am just incredibly unlucky, because all the courses in my local area won't allow this at all.

On-top of my HE I need to do GCSE English and Maths, or just English (depending on the course) all before June, if I am to stand any hope of achieving my hope of a 2017 start. However those hopes are quickly going downhill and I just feel depressed.

The 'life line' I was previously talking about was an online HE diploma accompanied by GCSE Maths and an IGCSE in English (all of which are accepted at my choice universities). They are able to take me on full time and say for all of that I am looking at around 1000 study hours crammed into 4/5 months. Roughly working out at 62.5 hours a week. Obviously that is completely depending on the difficulty of the work at hand.

My questions are:

1. Does this seem possible to you? (mainly aimed at those who've completed both a HE and GCSE's or mature students) - I have no commitments and actually scheduled out a year of pure intense study to get this completed, so I am all free.

2. Would it better to just wait until next year? My universities are sitting around 45 credits at Merit and 15 pass + C in English and/or Maths.

3. If you have completed a HE diploma before and gone onto University work, was it easier in comparison? I am totally willing to sit aside 70 hours a week and turn into a zombie if it means fulfilling my dream and not having to wait another year because of poor advice.

- - -
Addition:

Some courses only require English or some accept with neither English or Maths at grade C, as long as you can show adequate proof of being able to perform at this level. That would cut my hours of study down to 50 with HE + English or 37.5 just with the HE.
----

Thank-you for reading and try and be nice, I have had quite a stressful day.

Best,

Jon.

What is it that you want to study at university.

Definitely find a way of doing maths and English. Your local college may have a January start for such gcses.

Depending on what you want to study at uni you may not need an HE course. There may be level 3 evening courses starting at your local colleges this month that would support a uni application.
Reply 3
Sorry, I got so caught up in writing everything this morning that I forgot to add the course I wanted to go on. I wish to complete a BA in Journalism. I have had some help off family and some say to call the universities and try and make a case and perhaps instead of doing English and Maths again, just provide them with evidence that supports I can do that sort of work. I feel I could complete an HE diploma in time, 600 hours of work would place it at 37.5 hours a week.

Sorry once again for not being clear.

Original post by Snufkin
Do you want to do a full degree with the Open University? You have not made that clear. I don't understand why you can't just wait until October 2017 to start? I do not think you will be able to complete a HE Diploma (I assume you mean a CertHE?) and GCSEs in English and Maths by September.
Reply 4
It is Journalism BA. I was thinking of either asking if I can support my application with work I have already completed, articles, etc. I could complete a HE diploma in time due to not having any qualifications to use (I struggled through school and college with a plethora of health problems). I was also thinking I could perhaps do a functional skills course at my local college and place that alongside proof of my ability.

What would those level 3 courses be? I have only ever known of HE diplomas to enter university as a mature student. I mean, that is all I have ever managed to find.

Thanks for your reply :smile:

Original post by beautifulbigmacs
What is it that you want to study at university.

Definitely find a way of doing maths and English. Your local college may have a January start for such gcses.

Depending on what you want to study at uni you may not need an HE course. There may be level 3 evening courses starting at your local colleges this month that would support a uni application.
Original post by Jonbonbon1
It is Journalism BA. I was thinking of either asking if I can support my application with work I have already completed, articles, etc. I could complete a HE diploma in time due to not having any qualifications to use (I struggled through school and college with a plethora of health problems). I was also thinking I could perhaps do a functional skills course at my local college and place that alongside proof of my ability.

What would those level 3 courses be? I have only ever known of HE diplomas to enter university as a mature student. I mean, that is all I have ever managed to find.

Thanks for your reply :smile:

Part time level 3 courses are stuff like photography. See what your local college offers. I did level 3 nails and a lady on the course applied to do law at mmu and was accepted because she had shown herself able to study at level 3 (which is A level equivalent).

I think your plan is good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending