The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Interview. Is it compulsory?

For some undergrads applying to Surrey there is an interview. It is said to be compulsory.
Really?
Are students really expected to travel the length of the country, or indeed the whole EU, just for a 15-minute interview?
Surely it can be done online?
I came across the same problem at Surrey 2 years ago and I was told that only International students can have on-line interviews. Seems totally absurd to me. Can someone please explain?
Reply 1
Original post by simonbullock
For some undergrads applying to Surrey there is an interview. It is said to be compulsory.
Really?
Are students really expected to travel the length of the country, or indeed the whole EU, just for a 15-minute interview?
I came across the same problem at Surrey 2 years ago and I was told that only International students can have on-line interviews. Seems totally absurd to me. Can someone please explain?

You have to make the journey when (if) you attend the uni. So it's not unreasonable expecting you to do it for an interview - if the journey is that difficult, you won't be able to do it when taking your belongings anyway.

Looking at the uni website, the courses that require interview are mainly the ones which will be NHS funded for home applicants, which can therefore have different requirements for international students who do not meet the funding requirements, but which would be unfair if some home students were at an advantage/disadvantage purely on home address. Other courses which need an interview are things like dance and drama where you need to showcase your abilities.
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
First point you make is totally invalid. Of course students have to travel when they go to study. It costs some a lot but they're usually going there for at least a whole semester. My point is that it isn't valid when only going for a 15 min interview, when you haven't even got a firm offer.
As far as which courses require an interview, this is the ironic part. In this case, the course concerned is Digital Media. If they can't arrange online interviews then I wonder what they're doing in that department.
Original post by simonbullock

I cannot speak for Surrey, and for your course, but I know of one major highly-rated university department that only gives offers to people that attend interviews when invited. The department sees it as a test of your interest and commitment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending