The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NeverLucky
Even so, it doesn't cover much of the discrepancy. Where the engineers hiding :lol:

Probably freaked out by the Christ's Engineering stats for 2016... decided it was safer to apply to somewhere easy. Like MIT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by citibankrec
I thought that teachers can't mark the coursework and give feedback.

Don't know, most teachers do though, everywhere. They can't for controlled assessments at GCSE level, but I've always been under the impression they can for coursework.
Original post by k.russell
Trust me, the maths A/B is the last thing I want to do...
I have a few more questions if you don't mind - firstly, in the biology exams is there a strong element of problem solving or is it fairly recall heavy like A level?
Secondly, I am on a gap year and so was planning on completing these courses on EdX before going to Cambridge in the hope it would help with the first term a bit, do you think that would be a useful?
https://www.edx.org/course/principles-biochemistry-harvardx-mcb63x
https://www.edx.org/course/quantitative-biology-workshop-mitx-7-qbwx-2
https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-biology-secret-life-mitx-7-00x-4

Thanks for the comments on workload, made me feel a bit better - thinking about it I probably spent about 20 hours a week of contact time in college as well as about 15 at work so when you take into account the fact that I studied for at least a few hours a week it's hopefully gonna be a step up of less than 10 hours/week overall from what I did in A2 year, not too bad :smile: I guess the main change will be shifting all my efforts to academic work which should be exciting. I've done some 50+ hour weeks at work since beginning of gap year, though I was a bit of a wreck at the end lol

Some people I've seen have said that the workload becomes a bit less intense in IB and II, would you agree with that and out of curiosity what options did you choose throughout the course (IA, IB and II)?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help me out, hope you understand this is a bit of an interesting time for me..

I'm happy to help you. Of course I understand that this is a simultaneously stressful and exciting time for you.

Exams: it's a mix of both. For example, in Cells there's a theory paper consisting of short answers and an essay question and a Practical paper, which are mainly calculations and so-forth from all of the practicals you've done in the year. The practical paper is by far the harder one, and most people do significantly less work in preparation for it and regret this at the beginning of the Easter Term. There is a lot of recall, but this is usually contextualised more than at A level, and there's certainly less vomiting out of facts in a 'purge yourself of it' way that you get at A level.

EdX courses - I'm in two minds about this. The courses themselves are perfectly reasonable choices, and there is an argument for using them as 'refreshers' in the couple of months immediately before you go up. On the other hand, I think it's important to enjoy your gap year fully without turning it into another work year - your gap year, with a Cambridge offer in the bag, really is quite golden. If you're keen and think these courses will help your confidence in the first term/year then by all means do them, but don't feel you 'should' in any way. The first year papers don't assume any knowledge over and above that expected from a competent A level student and although they progress rapidly and cover a lot of ground, you don't need any special preparation for them.

Workload: I sort of disagree that it gets easier as you go through the Tripos. The contact hours decrease (I didn't have Saturday lectures in the second year, thank the Lord), but there is a concomitant increase in the complexity of the work, which means you need to put more self-directed hours in. There's a significant increase in depth, rather than breadth, at your competitive Part II, so I wouldn't call the workload 'easier', as such. But, as with IA it's not impossible at all - just a question of good time management.

My options: IA: Cells, Evolution and Behaviour, Physiology of Organisms, QB (*shudders at the memory).
IB: Pathology, Pharmacology and Physiology.
II: Pathology.

Feel free to ask away if I can help any more.
Original post by jneill
Probably freaked out by the Christ's Engineering stats for 2016... decided it was safer to apply to somewhere easy. Like MIT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What were the stats for Christs engineering??
Original post by jneill
Fedora. :smile:

I prefer a flat rim. Ooer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rofl:

The shame of getting those mixed up...I might as well have said Bowler Hat. I was too busy looking at the crease (this is all getting a bit Benny Hill now)
Original post by SteamboatMickey
What were the stats for Christs engineering??

Probably my fault for cheerleading it lol.
7.2% acceptance rate...
MIT is 7.9%

1484852347824.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
:rofl:

The shame of getting those mixed up...I might as well have said Bowler Hat. I was too busy looking at the crease (this is all getting a bit Benny Hill now)

Buns, hats, what next?
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

You joke but I genuinely wouldn't know what to do if I get an offer from MIT :lol: at least Stanford would be an easy decision for me hahaha
You joke but I genuinely wouldn't know what to do if I get an offer from MIT :lol: at least Stanford would be an easy decision for me hahaha

Have you seen the new Scholarship being offered by Stanford for postgrads? Looks amazing. But obviously will be highly highly highly competitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by glimmers
did you apply directly? I don't know much about Girton except it looks pretty beautiful and the distance but apparently it doesn't offer 4th year accommodation :s-smilie:

I did indeed, I really like Girton and think it's a shame the amount of flame it gets really, because as far as I can tell distance is literally the only problem.. I mean it's prettier than most colleges (not naming names but..), has a good ratio of state:tongue:rivate students - one of the best out of all colleges at Oxbridge and it's large, especially for my course (last 2 points are what I wanted, though I guess not objectively 'good').
Everyone i met at Girton for my interview and chatted to online has been really nice and finally, the distance which is so often brought up isn't significantly worse than some other colleges (looking at you Homerton & Fitz)
Original post by jneill
Have you seen the new Scholarship being offered by Stanford for postgrads? Looks amazing. But obviously will be highly highly highly competitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did, there just isn't much info about it at all. Definitely something I'd apply to if I stay here for undergrad tho.

You'd really prefer those American unis to Cambridge? I can't even consider them because of price, but even if I could there's no way I'd want to do an American undergrad degree, the LA thing just seems so stupid to me - if you already know what you want to study, I can't see any reason to waste your time doing some random BS instead of doing the subject you're actually interested in? It seems crazy to me... I'd like to do postgrad in the US if I can tho
You'd really prefer those American unis to Cambridge? I can't even consider them because of price, but even if I could there's no way I'd want to do an American undergrad degree, the LA thing just seems so stupid to me - if you already know what you want to study, I can't see any reason to waste your time doing some random BS instead of doing the subject you're actually interested in? It seems crazy to me... I'd like to do postgrad in the US if I can tho

Yeah I do prefer being able to pick and choose courses to do; I'm still not completely certain on what I want to do. That's why Cambridge NatSci is so good cos you have quite a fair bit of choice for your first year. Stanford is a no-brainer if I can get some financial aid. It's one of the best for CS and you're right there in Silicon Valley. Also the weather hahaha
I did indeed, I really like Girton and think it's a shame the amount of flame it gets really, because as far as I can tell distance is literally the only problem.. I mean it's prettier than most colleges (not naming names but..), has a good ratio of state:tongue:rivate students - one of the best out of all colleges at Oxbridge and it's large, especially for my course (last 2 points are what I wanted, though I guess not objectively 'good':wink:.
Everyone i met at Girton for my interview and chatted to online has been really nice and finally, the distance which is so often brought up isn't significantly worse than some other colleges (looking at you Homerton & Fitz)

14729387_1693297380989696_7712626965086367794_n.png
:wink: jks
Original post by epsilondelta
Thanks! Yeah haha actually when I logged onto Track I was just relieved that the update wasn't a Cambridge rejection :colone:

I'm undergrad believe it or not, joined the military for three years when I left school so I'm applying as a 'mature' student now at the ripe old age of 22. Seems weird to be back on the giant admin bomb that is civvie street

Edit: Realised I didn't even answer your question :colondollar: Law!

Cool. Did you do your A-levels earlier? I.e. Are you expecting an unconditional? What college did you apply to?
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Don't know, most teachers do though, everywhere. They can't for controlled assessments at GCSE level, but I've always been under the impression they can for coursework.

My teachers wouldn't check mine and I've already handed in my final so i wouldn't really worry.
Original post by edanski

Hey, it ain't Southampton Solent!
Original post by edanski

Oh dear, my college is getting roasted

Spoiler

Original post by jneill
Yes. But the question really is how many colleges go fishing for MML applicants - and the answer to that seems to be "very few".

If you are a strong candidate then Girton would probably want to keep you to themselves anyway. I'm not sure how the Open Offer works and if you HAVE to be pooled.

Maybe @Murray Edwards Admissions can clarify?

As I understand it, all Open offer candidates who make the offer will be put in the summer pool for colleges to make offers to. If a candidate exceeds the offer level by far then they may well become of interest not just to colleges who have lost candidates after results come out but to those who might wish to augment their numbers with a student with good results.

The SP works differently to the Winter Pool. Colleges mark files saying they're willing to make an offer. After a certain point in the day if no one else has marked the file then the college can take the file. If it's been marked by more than one college, there will be a discussion to see if agreement can be reached and, if not, it's decided by lot.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quite agree. USA is not an option fot undergrad Law - they don't do it!

Latest

Trending

Trending