The Student Room Group

a level physics

What are differences between gcse and a level physics?
Reply 1
Original post by Misaki24

A level physics is much more maths based than GCSE physics, and it is more challenging. The A level (AQA) has many topics which weren't covered at GCSE, and those that were covered such as mechanics are in much greater depth. Of course this will depend on what exam board you do at GCSE and A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by emduck
A level physics is much more maths based than GCSE physics, and it is more challenging. The A level (AQA) has many topics which weren't covered at GCSE, and those that were covered such as mechanics are in much greater depth. Of course this will depend on what exam board you do at GCSE and A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you say the maths is hard?
and thank you for your response
Reply 3
Would you say the maths is hard?
and thank you for your response

At times yes, though for me it is often me not knowing which equation to use! I would say that it does become much harder when you get into year 13 compared to year 12. I find it hard to quantify really, but some of the things you are required to do mathematically is beyond that of a GCSE level- however this again only really pops up at A2. The most maths related elements are Mechanics, Further Mechanics, Waves and fields. At GCSE you would have touched upon parts of the mechanics and waves topics (if I remember correctly). I do A level maths so I can do the majority of the maths related stuff. I think there are some people in my class who got a B at GCSE maths who are predicted A's though so I don't think not doing the best at GCSE maths means you can't do physics.

Though really, try and have a think about you want to do in the future, and whether you really want to do physics, because to get good grades you will have to work hard.

Hi I'm in year 12 and I agree with emduck, physics has a lot of maths you have to be good at maths otherwise you won't be able to cope. A friend of mine took all 3 sciences and geography at the start of the year and she struggled in physics as she wasn't very good maths and she dropped it within the first few weeks, like a lot of people.

At sixth form I started out on 4 options and dropped down to 3, so you try you could always try it. But physics is my hardest subject (I also do maths mechanics and geography) but I find the concepts very interesting, unlike gcse physics. I think A level physics is completely different from gcse, yes there is of course overlap, but with the detail you go into it's very interesting.

I found physics extremely hard at the start of the year, but now at this point it's got much better, so bear that in mind. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by emduck
At times yes, though for me it is often me not knowing which equation to use! I would say that it does become much harder when you get into year 13 compared to year 12. I find it hard to quantify really, but some of the things you are required to do mathematically is beyond that of a GCSE level- however this again only really pops up at A2. The most maths related elements are Mechanics, Further Mechanics, Waves and fields. At GCSE you would have touched upon parts of the mechanics and waves topics (if I remember correctly). I do A level maths so I can do the majority of the maths related stuff. I think there are some people in my class who got a B at GCSE maths who are predicted A's though so I don't think not doing the best at GCSE maths means you can't do physics.

Though really, try and have a think about you want to do in the future, and whether you really want to do physics, because to get good grades you will have to work hard.

Thank you, do you know any good websites to revise maths/physics from? And any tips on how to improve on maths or revise maths
Reply 6
Original post by Hollster_Hol
Hi I'm in year 12 and I agree with emduck, physics has a lot of maths you have to be good at maths otherwise you won't be able to cope. A friend of mine took all 3 sciences and geography at the start of the year and she struggled in physics as she wasn't very good maths and she dropped it within the first few weeks, like a lot of people.

At sixth form I started out on 4 options and dropped down to 3, so you try you could always try it. But physics is my hardest subject (I also do maths mechanics and geography) but I find the concepts very interesting, unlike gcse physics. I think A level physics is completely different from gcse, yes there is of course overlap, but with the detail you go into it's very interesting.

I found physics extremely hard at the start of the year, but now at this point it's got much better, so bear that in mind. :smile:

Thank you, and im good at maths in class but only when it comes to exam i seem to struggle but i am working on it. I am still going to do all three sciences and maths, and i have seen the a level physics courses online and im am very intrigued to study it so i am going to work hard once again thank you.
Thank you, and im good at maths in class but only when it comes to exam i seem to struggle but i am working on it. I am still going to do all three sciences and maths, and i have seen the a level physics courses online and im am very intrigued to study it so i am going to work hard once again thank you.

Your welcome, just make sure you put the work in and it'll pay off. :smile:
Reply 8
Thank you, do you know any good websites to revise maths/physics from? And any tips on how to improve on maths or revise maths

My school gave us worksheets from this website for maths when I was at GCSE to do at the start of each lesson- which really helped me.
https://corbettmaths.com/5-a-day/gcse1/

I would also recommend doing past papers- though if you are doing the new GCSEs you might struggle with it, though doing some of the old past papers for the old GCSE wouldn't hurt either. I didn't really revise enough for GCSE maths, but I did buy a CGP revision workbook which had questions in and some papers I could do as well which was useful (though does cost money). Generally though for maths what is important is practice!

For physics again I recommend looking at past papers, I don't recall using many websites, I would recommend looking at BBC GCSE Bitesize. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by emduck
My school gave us worksheets from this website for maths when I was at GCSE to do at the start of each lesson- which really helped me.
https://corbettmaths.com/5-a-day/gcse1/

I would also recommend doing past papers- though if you are doing the new GCSEs you might struggle with it, though doing some of the old past papers for the old GCSE wouldn't hurt either. I didn't really revise enough for GCSE maths, but I did buy a CGP revision workbook which had questions in and some papers I could do as well which was useful (though does cost money). Generally though for maths what is important is practice!

For physics again I recommend looking at past papers, I don't recall using many websites, I would recommend looking at BBC GCSE Bitesize. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :smile:

Okay i will check it out and i have a cgp book aswelll i agree it does help. And no you were a massive help to me you have cleared up many concerned i had and was afraid to ask others thanks alot

Quick Reply

Latest