The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by citibankrec
I thought that teachers can't mark the coursework and give feedback.

Yeah teachers can't mark it :frown:

But they can give verbal feedback not relating to the assessment criteria. (i.e. "do you really mean this", "I would check the date for this example", "your argument doesn't have enough to write about")

They can't say stuff like "you need more analysis" or "you've got 28/40, to get 7 more marks...".
Original post by k.russell
Oh dear, my college is getting roasted

Spoiler

😄😀😅😃 brilliant!
Original post by NeverLucky
Yeah I do prefer being able to pick and choose courses to do; I'm still not completely certain on what I want to do. That's why Cambridge NatSci is so good cos you have quite a fair bit of choice for your first year. Stanford is a no-brainer if I can get some financial aid. It's one of the best for CS and you're right there in Silicon Valley. Also the weather hahaha

hmm I consider natsci to be a happy equilibrium between not being restricted to studying a highly specific area of science for 3+ years and having to do 8 non-optional humanities classes that would make me want to KMS - different horses for different courses tho I guess.. I would also agree it would be great for CS at Stanford
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
As I understand it, all Open offer candidates who make the offer will be put in the summer pool for colleges to make offers to. If a candidate exceeds the offer level by far then they may well become of interest not just to colleges who have lost candidates after results come out but to those who might wish to augment their numbers with a student with good results.

The SP works differently to the Winter Pool. Colleges mark files saying their willing to make an offer. After a certain point in the day if no one else has marked the file then the college can take the file. If it's been marked by more than one college, there will be a discussion to see if agreement can be reached and, if not, it's decided by lot.

As always, that makes lots of sense.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
hmm I consider natsci to be a happy equilibrium between not being restricted to studying a highly specific area of science for 3+ years and having to do 8 non-optional humanities classes that would make me want to KMS - different horses for different courses tho I guess.. I would also agree it would be great for CS at Stanford

I'm going around California for a bit next month and so I get to go visit Stanford and see what it's like hahaha
To request feedback do we email our college's admissions tutor?
Original post by Christie_xx
To request feedback do we email our college's admissions tutor?

In the absence of any other instructions from your college, yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reality Check
I'm happy to help you. Of course I understand that this is a simultaneously stressful and exciting time for you.

Exams: it's a mix of both. For example, in Cells there's a theory paper consisting of short answers and an essay question and a Practical paper, which are mainly calculations and so-forth from all of the practicals you've done in the year. The practical paper is by far the harder one, and most people do significantly less work in preparation for it and regret this at the beginning of the Easter Term. There is a lot of recall, but this is usually contextualised more than at A level, and there's certainly less vomiting out of facts in a 'purge yourself of it' way that you get at A level.

EdX courses - I'm in two minds about this. The courses themselves are perfectly reasonable choices, and there is an argument for using them as 'refreshers' in the couple of months immediately before you go up. On the other hand, I think it's important to enjoy your gap year fully without turning it into another work year - your gap year, with a Cambridge offer in the bag, really is quite golden. If you're keen and think these courses will help your confidence in the first term/year then by all means do them, but don't feel you 'should' in any way. The first year papers don't assume any knowledge over and above that expected from a competent A level student and although they progress rapidly and cover a lot of ground, you don't need any special preparation for them.

Workload: I sort of disagree that it gets easier as you go through the Tripos. The contact hours decrease (I didn't have Saturday lectures in the second year, thank the Lord), but there is a concomitant increase in the complexity of the work, which means you need to put more self-directed hours in. There's a significant increase in depth, rather than breadth, at your competitive Part II, so I wouldn't call the workload 'easier', as such. But, as with IA it's not impossible at all - just a question of good time management.

My options: IA: Cells, Evolution and Behaviour, Physiology of Organisms, QB (*shudders at the memory).
IB: Pathology, Pharmacology and Physiology.
II: Pathology.

Feel free to ask away if I can help any more.

What sort of ums did you get in A level maths? I'm just interested because it seems that QB (it's MB now, btw :smile: ) gives you violent flashbacks whereas I was hoping it might be one of the easier elements of the course..

I see where you're coming from about working over my gap year, I do feel I took it really easy for my whole life until year 13 & feel lucky to have this offer so not too bothered about putting in a bit of extra work over the next 9 months (it's a long time!) in the hope it'll benefit me at uni, I also do spend manage to spend plenty of time with my friends - who are mostly still at home.

I am planning on doing something completely work free after finishing my exams, I will be quitting my job at the same time and spending summer doing as yet undecided but decadent and hedonistic activities, don't you worry

I think worrying about anything other than IA is getting ahead of myself atm but thanks for the info, what did you make of physiology?

p.s. it's not quite in the bag, still need my grade lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Probably my fault for cheerleading it lol.
7.2% acceptance rate...
MIT is 7.9%

1484852347824.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Blimey - that's an incredibly high (or low?) offer:acceptances ratio! Is that down to missing offers or getting a better offer elsewhere (eg @ MIT)?
Original post by jneill
In the absence of any other instructions from your college, yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good, thank you! Now I'm preparing my self for finding out I did really badly in the interview :colondollar:
I did indeed, I really like Girton and think it's a shame the amount of flame it gets really, because as far as I can tell distance is literally the only problem.. I mean it's prettier than most colleges (not naming names but..), has a good ratio of state:tongue:rivate students - one of the best out of all colleges at Oxbridge and it's large, especially for my course (last 2 points are what I wanted, though I guess not objectively 'good':wink:.
Everyone i met at Girton for my interview and chatted to online has been really nice and finally, the distance which is so often brought up isn't significantly worse than some other colleges (looking at you Homerton & Fitz)

yeah it is one of the nicest college in terms of aesthetics (though I've only seen the pictures online and haven't been able to get a pic of undergrad accommodation) but I suppose for some people feeling outside/excluded from the bubble of the town centre would be a turn-off. i quite enjoy walking anyway so won't mind the 30 mins if I do end up there - and the swimming pool is a very attractive prospect
Original post by thewinelake
Blimey - that's an incredibly high (or low?) offer:acceptances ratio! Is that down to missing offers or getting a better offer elsewhere (eg @ MIT)?

No it's because of STEP. It made Christ's attractive for good applicants because it makes getting an offer more likely. (Although still with the risk of missing the offer because STEP is hard). The problem then arises that loads of less good applicants started applying too because they don't understand the underlying reasons for the "high" offer rate.

It will be very interesting to see the official 2016 stats.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Probably my fault for cheerleading it lol.
7.2% acceptance rate...
MIT is 7.9%

This puts the mathmo struggle into perspective. :lol:
Original post by glimmers
yeah it is one of the nicest college in terms of aesthetics (though I've only seen the pictures online and haven't been able to get a pic of undergrad accommodation) but I suppose for some people feeling outside/excluded from the bubble of the town centre would be a turn-off. i quite enjoy walking anyway so won't mind the 30 mins if I do end up there - and the swimming pool is a very attractive prospect

The swimming pool is such a nice addition to the college!!

Spoiler

Okay I will tolerate a lot but NOT THIS. Fight me mate I'll rek u.
Original post by daniilS
Okay I will tolerate a lot but NOT THIS. Fight me mate I'll rek u.

i'm just tired of being abused 24/7 with the same jokes i won't rlly hurt the ducks x
Ok I hate to say this but I am getting a little bit impatient.

I emailed my college regarding some important issues (but not urgent enough to ring them) last week, and they still haven't replied to me, not even a read receipt.

Are they just simply ignoring me or it is because they are busy with other things?

@jneill do you know how long it usually takes for college to reply?
(edited 7 years ago)

Spoiler

duck.jpeg
Original post by edanski
duck.jpeg

sorry for threatening ur ducks I'm just triggered af by the all the girton memes
sorry for threatening ur ducks I'm just triggered af by the all the girton memes

It's ok bb :heart::heart::heart:

Latest

Trending

Trending