The Student Room Group

Should I take A level Spanish??? Or maybe Sociology???

Hey guys...
So as my fourth option for a levels, I am debating on if I should Spanish or sociology. So first of all I thought I would do sociology because I thought 'Oh it might be an easy subject to get a good grade in and it might open my options juz generally, but Spanish was my initial back up option.

However, some people are saying that sociology is not really counted as a subject at some unis but some people were saying a level spanish is a very big leap from gcse's. So I had this talk with one of my teachers and he said that 'honestly, in a hierarchy of subjects sociology wouldn't come that high up and also that if you take a language, its good for you as uni's consider it'.

So I am in a confusion on which one to take! I consider myself to be good at spanisha nd in my gcse mocks I got nearly full marks ( a high a*) but since people are saying that it is a lot of hard work and a big leap I am confused on whether I should take it or not! (btw I am not great with tenses in Spanish). Also I have not done sociology at all so its going to be new to me!
sorry for the really long msg!
So it would be great if any of you could help! Thank u!

p.s. My other options that I am planning on taking is maths, graphics(product design), physics OR chemistry (please comment on this as well if you have any experience from these two subjects in a levels!) I am also planning to go into the designing field...
Original post by skills0786
Hey guys...
So as my fourth option for a levels, I am debating on if I should Spanish or sociology. So first of all I thought I would do sociology because I thought 'Oh it might be an easy subject to get a good grade in and it might open my options juz generally, but Spanish was my initial back up option.

However, some people are saying that sociology is not really counted as a subject at some unis but some people were saying a level spanish is a very big leap from gcse's. So I had this talk with one of my teachers and he said that 'honestly, in a hierarchy of subjects sociology wouldn't come that high up and also that if you take a language, its good for you as uni's consider it'.

So I am in a confusion on which one to take! I consider myself to be good at spanisha nd in my gcse mocks I got nearly full marks ( a high a*) but since people are saying that it is a lot of hard work and a big leap I am confused on whether I should take it or not! (btw I am not great with tenses in Spanish). Also I have not done sociology at all so its going to be new to me!

p.s. My other options that I am planning on taking is maths, graphics(product design), physics OR chemistry (please comment on this as well if you have any experience from these two subjects in a levels!) I am also planning to go into the designing field...

I'd say do Spanish because in my opinion it's more useful than sociology but idk. It is a very hard subject though but if you enjoy it then take it.

I'd also suggest taking physics rather than chemistry if you're gonna do designing (I'm assuming like architecture?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say Spanish because Sociology is a bit of a waste of time and compared with your other subjects would really stick out and would look pretty obvious that you only did it because it was easy
Reply 3
Original post by awkwrdbby
I'd say do Spanish because in my opinion it's more useful than sociology but idk. It is a very hard subject though but if you enjoy it then take it.

I'd also suggest taking physics rather than chemistry if you're gonna do designing (I'm assuming like architecture?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes thts true...thank u! and yes I am planning on doing interior architecture/design :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by howitoughttobe
I would say Spanish because Sociology is a bit of a waste of time and compared with your other subjects would really stick out and would look pretty obvious that you only did it because it was easy

true...never really thought of it that way tbh...thank u!
Reply 5
I did physics and chemistry if you have any questions :smile: Chemistry definitely isn't worth doing if you're not interested in it, it makes it so hard and boring. Take a look at the universities you want to apply to in order to see whether they would accept sociology. If you're really interested in Spanish take that, but if you want something extra that won't take up much of your time then take sociology.
Hey guys...

If you got nearly full marks in your Spanish mock you'll cope with A Level Spanish just fine. Many of my friends do a language at A Level and got As and Bs in it, and aren't doing any worse in MFLs as they are in their other subjects. It's really not as big of a jump as everyone makes it out to be, providing you get supportive teachers. Just keep on top of the work and maybe revise different tenses once in a while, but if you're great at tenses, the harder ones will stick in your brain as well. (I don't find tenses too difficult either, luckily :tongue:) It's no more hard work than any other A Level is, tbh.
Reply 7
Original post by ax12
I did physics and chemistry if you have any questions :smile: Chemistry definitely isn't worth doing if you're not interested in it, it makes it so hard and boring. Take a look at the universities you want to apply to in order to see whether they would accept sociology. If you're really interested in Spanish take that, but if you want something extra that won't take up much of your time then take sociology.

oh thts cool...so personally which one did you find easier? physics or chemistry? like honest opinion...and yes I ll check that out! And do you know what exactly is the content in Spanish a levels...like is it a lot of hard speaking and writing? or more vocab, reading and listening?
Reply 8
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
If you got nearly full marks in your Spanish mock you'll cope with A Level Spanish just fine. Many of my friends do a language at A Level and got As and Bs in it, and aren't doing any worse in MFLs as they are in their other subjects. It's really not as big of a jump as everyone makes it out to be, providing you get supportive teachers. Just keep on top of the work and maybe revise different tenses once in a while, but if you're great at tenses, the harder ones will stick in your brain as well. (I don't find tenses too difficult either, luckily :tongue:) It's no more hard work than any other A Level is, tbh.

tysm! some helpful advice...:smile:
Reply 9
oh thts cool...so personally which one did you find easier? physics or chemistry? like honest opinion...and yes I ll check that out! And do you know what exactly is the content in Spanish a levels...like is it a lot of hard speaking and writing? or more vocab, reading and listening?

I found Chemistry harder because I hated it, but I had to do it for a full A-level to apply to the unis that I had.

Physics was more conceptually difficult but not bad once you memorise all the equations! Depends on how you did at GCSE and how good you are at rearranging formulae :P

I have no clue about Spanish! I did the three sciences and Geography for my A-levels.
Reply 10
Original post by ax12
I found Chemistry harder because I hated it, but I had to do it for a full A-level to apply to the unis that I had.

Physics was more conceptually difficult but not bad once you memorise all the equations! Depends on how you did at GCSE and how good you are at rearranging formulae :P

I have no clue about Spanish! I did the three sciences and Geography for my A-levels.

oh ok no problem...thank you for your opinion though! at the moment I find both of them equal...but im doing ocr board and unit 7 for physics in that board is awful..its like lenses telescopes and stuff..so I was hoping that a level physics wasn't quite like that (about lenses space and telescope etc)!
Reply 11
oh ok no problem...thank you for your opinion though! at the moment I find both of them equal...but im doing ocr board and unit 7 for physics in that board is awful..its like lenses telescopes and stuff..so I was hoping that a level physics wasn't quite like that (about lenses space and telescope etc)!

Yeah, I did OCR B for Physics! There was a load of stuff on space, magnetism, quarks and stuff. It was interesting but some of it was complicated, you can find the syllabuses online if you want to know more :smile:
Also if you're wanting to do like architecture stuff then you should really be doing A level art as art is basically the subject that most universities will ask for :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by awkwrdbby
Also if you're wanting to do like architecture stuff then you should really be doing A level art as art is basically the subject that most universities will ask for :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh...but apparently u either have to have art or an art related subject and apparently graphic design is just about right...plus I didnt really do gcse art either so it will b a whole new level for me! :/

Quick Reply

Latest