The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by john2054
It wouldn't get you on a masters though...

Actually, a 2:2 from Oxford or Cambridge can get you into masters courses, unlike 2:2s from other universities, I know of multiple people who have managed to land masters offers after a 2:2 from Cambridge and Oxford. Getting a 2:2 from Oxford or Cambridge is as hard, if not harder, than getting a 2:1 from an average, non-Russell Group, uni.
Reply 61
Original post by BigBadAsh
The place where the degree originates from shouldn't mean anything, unless you're a snob.

But thats completely untrue. The place the degree originates from is extremely important, and its not because of snobbery.

A degree isn't a standardised program. I believe Cambridge are known to have one of the most prestigious maths degrees of any university world wide. They are absolutely not teaching at the same standard as London Met or any other similar university. It makes no sense to equate the two, or to suggest they are in any way equal.
(edited 7 years ago)
Stop slating Derby thanks, it did me well....

So what job are you doing now with your Derby degree?
Reply 63

I've nothing against Derby personally (didn't even know it existed TBH - there are soooo many universities, it's impossible to check out all of them) but it doesn't seem like it'd be a good fit for me - the assessment methods would cause me unnecessary stress. Really. Looking at the course there, what's covered looks great, and from what you guys are saying the lecturers are good and the atmosphere is good too, but presentations and group assessment aren't what I'm looking for.

The other thing, although this sounds really snobby and horrible (it genuinely isn't meant to be) is that I want to be around people who are a) enthusiastic about their subjects, b) hardworking, AND c) better than me at my subject. To put it bluntly, when I was a kid at a selective school I was always at the top of my class academically for most of my subjects (they did class rankings, which is excruciating for everyone, especially those placed low down in the ranking - I think it's disgusting), at college I'm probably the highest-achieving student in all of my subjects, and being that person is really hard. I want to be at the middle of the pack and that means going somewhere where the entry requirements are high. I'm not that bright, but I work VERY hard at what I do, so… we'll see.

And if that means failing to get a place and having to try for something else or take a year out, I'm happy to do that. I don't want to spend three years and over 30k on something that isn't what I planned.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rattie
I've nothing against Derby personally (didn't even know it existed TBH - there are soooo many universities, it's impossible to check out all of them) but it doesn't seem like it'd be a good fit for me - the assessment methods would cause me unnecessary stress. Really. Looking at the course there, what's covered looks great, and from what you guys are saying the lecturers are good and the atmosphere is good too, but presentations and group assessment aren't what I'm looking for.

The other thing, although this sounds really snobby and horrible (it genuinely isn't meant to be) is that I want to be around people who are a) enthusiastic about their subjects, b) hardworking, AND c) better than me at my subject. To put it bluntly, when I was a kid at a selective school I was always at the top of my class academically for most of my subjects (they did class rankings, which is excruciating for everyone, especially those placed low down in the ranking - I think it's disgusting), at college I'm probably the highest-achieving student in all of my subjects, and being that person is really hard. I want to be at the middle of the pack and that means going somewhere where the entry requirements are high. I'm not that bright, but I work VERY hard at what I do, so… we'll see.

And if that means failing to get a place and having to try for something else or take a year out, I'm happy to do that. I don't want to spend three years and over 30k on something that isn't what I planned.
Derby is still competitive. I was probably one of the bottom two or three, in all of my classes there for all of the years. Plus you know that presentation element, it was only 20% of one of the two English units i took. And they were individual presentations. I realise it can seem a bit daunting at first, you are thrown in with a whole group of new people, and many of whom will be brighter, harder working and so forth. But this is why you have to learn to make your own impression, carve your own niche as it were.

I did this by doing lots of extra reading. As people elsewhere have said, of course it is possible to get a degree, a first even, by only revising the exam questions. But this isn't learning. This only tests your photographic memory. The reason why Derby was so good for me, is because i really feel it helped me grow as a person. I have never worked harder, then when i put in those seven years of my life (five on the degree, half part time, and two on the access), and i brought lots of books, and read a hell load. This is a skill which stays with you.

I have also become competent at research, and my confidence both in individual communication, and group, has also come on by the dozen.

You don't expect university to be easy. And the lecturers, don't tell you all of the answers. You are expected to go to the library, and make friends, and research, and develop relationships (academic) with the lecturers, and your peers, as well as the reading resources. At Derby they give you tours of the library, and also a certain amount of individual development input. I'm not sure that the other unversities do this.

And the type of racist and right wing elitism i have personally been attacked my members of the elite /cambridge circle, that i have myself been victim to on here (one user for example called me a traitor to my race, for marrying a black woman, and he said he went to cambridge), has no place at Derby.

It is a fantastic crowd of students, which may not have the most demanding of entry requirements, but the cut is there, if you want to get a good degree. I worked damn hard for my 2.1, and i think the main reason why i got it, was because i did lots of extra reading. Don't think that you can come to Derby, go on holidays, not do any extra reading, and still get a good degree. People think it's easy, but it's not easy. It's not an easy university, but it is a good university. It has a good mix of students and lecturers, and a great feel. I'm sorry if you don't feel this way.

In comparison i have been to a Notts open day masters event, and the students there, were exclusively mainly twenty year old career academics. Basically if i went there, i would have had a hell of a lot of work to put in, to break my way through. I'm not saying that Nottingham isn't a good university, by all means it beats Derby in the league tables. And fair play to her, the course leader was very good with me, and answered all of my questions afterwards. But you know, I have just done basically seven years learning lots about lots of stuff. And this tactic to learning, works great if you want to improve your knowledge base, but not so well, if you just want to treat university, like an extended school progression.

If you are going to university for the social life, for the library, for the coffee, for the cultural mix, and for the student/teacher rapport, i would say pick Derby any day.

But if you only care about being the top of the class, the league tables, or perhaps you don't like the city for whatever reason, maybe it isn't for you.

I can't force you to reconsider it after all?!?

Original post by serions871
So what job are you doing now with your Derby degree?

I have a social media voluntary position at a local advocacy/charity. I haven't been able to find paid work, although i did have one interview, but they didn't get back to me...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 65

I have a social media voluntary position at a local advocacy/charity. I haven't been able to find paid work, although i did have one interview, but they didn't get back to me...

So given that your degree from Derby hasn't enabled you to find a job, and instead youre giving your time away, by what measure did it serve you well?
Original post by josh_v
So given that your degree from Derby hasn't enabled you to find a job, and instead youre giving your time away, by what measure did it serve you well?

Please read my last post and then reconsider your question. Because i have already answered it......
same here, heard nothing from 2 unis (1 months ago)
2 rejection
1 offed me an alternative course which i don't like it
Reply 68
Please read my last post and then reconsider your question. Because i have already answered it......

"I have also become competent at research, and my confidence both in individual communication, and group, has also come on by the dozen..."

"..the social life, for the library, for the coffee, for the cultural mix, and for the student/teacher rapport.."

These seem to be the main areas that you say you benefited from going to Derby. I don't have a problem with Derby uni in particular since I don't know enough about it. Im just curious how someone could feel they have been 'well served' after spending £30k on a degree which then doesnt enable them to land a job.

The few benefits you do raise exist at all universities though. Honestly, going to a university because of the coffee is a very strange logic.
Original post by josh_v
"I have also become competent at research, and my confidence both in individual communication, and group, has also come on by the dozen..."

"..the social life, for the library, for the coffee, for the cultural mix, and for the student/teacher rapport.."

These seem to be the main areas that you say you benefited from going to Derby. I don't have a problem with Derby uni in particular since I don't know enough about it. Im just curious how someone could feel they have been 'well served' after spending £30k on a degree which then doesnt enable them to land a job.

The few benefits you do raise exist at all universities though. Honestly, going to a university because of the coffee is a very strange logic.

"The reason why Derby was so good for me, is because i really feel it helped me grow as a person. I have never worked harder, then when i put in those seven years of my life (five on the degree, half part time, and two on the access), and i brought lots of books, and read a hell load. This is a skill which stays with you."
Reply 70
It's actually much easier to get a first from OxBridge and the like because of the investment those universities put in to their students. Someone that gets a first from one of the bottom 5 uni's where facilities are poor and teaching is substandard will have had to work so much harder to get that first.
Reply 71
Original post by Azaelia
It's actually much easier to get a first from OxBridge and the like because of the investment those universities put in to their students. Someone that gets a first from one of the bottom 5 uni's where facilities are poor and teaching is substandard will have had to work so much harder to get that first.

You're right.

Thats why employers are all competing for the students from the bottom 5 unis, and those poor Oxbridge grads with first class degrees are really struggling to find jobs. :rolleyes:

I'm sure it did, I'm just saying that if I had the grades to apply to the top 20unis in the world, I wouldn't look at Derby :biggrin:
Reply 73
Well, depending on your level of acceptance of magical beliefs, starting this thread has worked - just got a conditional offer from Birmingham! Hooray :smile: (they don't do unconditionals for Access courses, sadly :frown:)
Reply 74
But if you only care about being the top of the class, the league tables, or perhaps you don't like the city for whatever reason, maybe it isn't for you.

I can't force you to reconsider it after all?!?

Didn't you read my post? Being at the top of the class is something I don't enjoy. I know whatever university I ended up at it's unlikely I would end up being "top", but I just want to be somewhere where I am distinctly average.

It's impossible to reconsider now, you do know that, right? If it weren't, I might've swapped out York, which I've gone off a bit, for somewhere like Nottingham or Bristol :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rattie
Well, depending on your level of acceptance of magical beliefs, starting this thread has worked - just got a conditional offer from Birmingham! Hooray :smile: (they don't do unconditionals for Access courses, sadly :frown:)

Fantastic, Congratulations!

Track is now down until midnight on Sunday and I have an email notification. The stress! :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rattie
Didn't you read my post? Being at the top of the class is something I don't enjoy. I know whatever university I ended up at it's unlikely I would end up being "top", but I just want to be somewhere where I am distinctly average.

It's impossible to reconsider now, you do know that, right? If it weren't, I might've swapped out York, which I've gone off a bit, for somewhere like Nottingham or Bristol :biggrin:

You've got your place now. Now all you have to do is put the work in, lucky you!
Reply 77
You've got your place now. Now all you have to do is put the work in, lucky you!

Thank you! I'm super chuffed because I currently have 24 distinctions from last year, and my offer is for 30 distinctions and 15 merits. So this year I only have to get one 6-credit module at a distinction and can afford to get the rest at just merit :biggrin:
Reply 78
Original post by veganrockchick
Fantastic, Congratulations!

Track is now down until midnight on Sunday and I have an email notification. The stress! :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!

I can't believe the utter horror and stress of your situation :biggrin: I'm guessing you'll be there at 12.01 hitting that login button…
Reply 79
Original post by Rattie
and can afford to get the rest at just merit :biggrin:

Thats what I did, and I would recommend that you dont do it.

I Got my 30 credits at distinction and then slacked off and got a mixture of grades. However, you will be asked your grade breakdown from your Access course when it comes to applying for grad jobs. It will make a difference in the future. Whilst its nice to know you can afford to relax, and one slip up wouldn't stop you getting in to uni, employers will look at your Access grades and make judgements based on them.

Congratulations on the offer though.

Latest

Trending

Trending