The Student Room Group

The Waitrose Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Hey!

I had a job at John Lewis for 2 years before leaving in September (to go to university). Since that didn't work out, I am now at home again and have applied to be a supermarket assistant at Waitrose (same branch).

I did the Situational Judgment test, the personality test and then the main application form. On the portal, it says 'application received' but I submitted my application ages ago. I also didn't get the usual email to confirm that.

How long does Waitrose usually take to reply? Should I email someone to make sure they got it?

Reply 741
Hellloo! What kind of shifts do student-type employees have? I am undertaking voluntary work already and wanted to work 3 days a week from the morning and to get home before 5pm. Are such shifts available? If not at Waitrose, any of the other supermarket chains? Thank you :3
Hi, I have a group assessment coming up - Does anyone have some tips on what happens etc?

Thanks!
I go to the local Waitrose sometimes and have seen loads of people from my school working there. I am turning 16 in 2 months and need a job for next summer. A couple of questions for anyone who knows: - Do they accept 16 year olds for part time work? - What is the application process? Should I send an email to gauge vacancies? - Is it worth my while? Thanks
Reply 744
Original post by Glee
Hellloo! What kind of shifts do student-type employees have? I am undertaking voluntary work already and wanted to work 3 days a week from the morning and to get home before 5pm. Are such shifts available? If not at Waitrose, any of the other supermarket chains? Thank you :3

Every branch is different, firstly go onto jlpjobs website and see if there are any vacancies near you. If there are, the hours will be on the job description. You could always enquire at seasonal times, we always take on extra staff then.

Original post by DanCheshire
I go to the local Waitrose sometimes and have seen loads of people from my school working there. I am turning 16 in 2 months and need a job for next summer. A couple of questions for anyone who knows: - Do they accept 16 year olds for part time work? - What is the application process? Should I send an email to gauge vacancies? - Is it worth my while? Thanks

Yes they do, I know because a year ago it was me. Go onto our website and see if we have any vacancies near where you live, obviously don't apply for anything stupid like a delivery driver. You fill out an application form, do a situational awareness test, do an interview and then get the job. There's no point emailing the branch as they'll just redirect you to our website.

Is it worth your while?

You'll get some tasty experience which you can put on your CV and you can gain more confidence and learn how to cope with rude people. Oh and the minimum wage (at least where I am) is £7.87. Not bad compared to £4.05 NLW for under 18s.
Does anyone know if ontop of regular holiday you can get time off for 'study leave' for my (A-Level) exams?

I heard someone mention it ages but I doubt it's validity...
Original post by EricAteYou
Does anyone know if ontop of regular holiday you can get time off for 'study leave' for my (A-Level) exams?

I heard someone mention it ages but I doubt it's validity...

Yes you can. You book it the same on Partnerlink under study leave.

It's a week paid leave I think.
Original post by WaitroseGod

Oh perfect. I'll look into it further , thank you.
Reply 748

Why did my branch say there's no such a thing? And told me to only use up all the holidays? To be honest suspected this, as I saw this option on Partnerlink as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Senll
Why did my branch say there's no such a thing? And told me to only use up all the holidays? To be honest suspected this, as I saw this option on Partnerlink as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looking on partnerintranet, study leave refers to studies done in conjunction with the partnership that would directly benefit it. There's a whole section on partnerintranet for it. Summed up though, it's not for GCSE or A-Level exams unless your manager explicitly says different.
Original post by EricAteYou
Looking on partnerintranet, study leave refers to studies done in conjunction with the partnership that would directly benefit it. There's a whole section on partnerintranet for it. Summed up though, it's not for GCSE or A-Level exams unless your manager explicitly says different.

Officially yes. But I have known exams such as A levels to be taken Into consideration in the past
Original post by FP1995
I work for JL If im working 8 - 5pm and i'm entitled to 1 hour 15 min (Not paid break) how much should be taken off? On my timecard it shows up as 7.75 but I don't think it's rights.

This is correct! 8-5pm is 9 hours, and if you subtract the 1.25 hours you have as breaks (15 mins is 0.25 hours) you end up with 7.75

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi!

I have a group assessment day/Interview next week, was wondering if anyone could give me tips or experiences of what happens, and how I should prepare?

Thanks!
Reply 753
My contract finishes coming week.
But my managers have stated they will keep me and told me to come in after my holidays. But I just got a text message that my bank details have changed because of my contract end date has been entered..can someone help me...this is stressing me out..

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do I go about contacting Waitrose to be a reference on my job applications? I worked there as an Xmas temp end of last year. I assume it says something on partnerlink but I can't access it anymore. Would my line manager be the one who I list on the actual applications? The only e-mail I have is for the personnel manager who interviewed me, do I contact him or do I contact the personnel service centre? Thanks if anyone can help
I handed in my resignation a while back. I'm still working there and my final day is next week. Is there any way I'm able to rescind it?
Original post by Barryl
I've applied to Waitrose twice and both times I've apparently failed their online tests... don't understand why because I am fairly certain I am telling them "what they want to hear" e.g. Dealing with stuff myself.

People who went to my school have worked there so why can't I? I'm polite, decent, have done well in my studies, etc. No reason why I couldn't work there.

I see they push the "partner" crap quite a lot but let's face it people my age working there just want money?

I see they push the "partner" crap quite a lot but let's face it people my age working there just want money
lol I can see why you failed.
Original post by Senll
My contract finishes coming week.
But my managers have stated they will keep me and told me to come in after my holidays. But I just got a text message that my bank details have changed because of my contract end date has been entered..can someone help me...this is stressing me out..

Posted from TSR Mobile

The same thing happened to me and my manager didn't quite sort it in time so I got deleted from the system (my login no longer works).
I would suggest phoning up and demanding they sort it as you're on the phone (its a bit more work if they don't and you can legally refuse to work any hours once the contract finished if you haven't got a new one). Talk to the managers, your manager will need to request it and then personnel (and maybe more) will have to process it
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Barryl
I've applied to Waitrose twice and both times I've apparently failed their online tests... don't understand why because I am fairly certain I am telling them "what they want to hear" e.g. Dealing with stuff myself.

People who went to my school have worked there so why can't I? I'm polite, decent, have done well in my studies, etc. No reason why I couldn't work there.

I see they push the "partner" crap quite a lot but let's face it people my age working there just want money?

Don't just do it on 'what you think they want you to here'. For example they encourage team work and working well with others but if you need to run to a manager every time you drop a carton of soup or a sign falls off, they're not going to want you.
Think about what would be the best way for each scenario and take your time. I rushed firts time and failed, but took longer second time round and ended up getting hired.

With regards to the 'partner crap', its more to do with making us a team. People do just work their for money but if you ask them for help about 95% the time they will help if they know how to. Being a partner just means your part of a team to keep the store running (even if that is just so you can continue to get paid).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 759
Original post by Barryl
Well it's true. It has nothing to do with me failing their BS tests that mean nothing anyway.

You have failed our situational judgement tests, which might I add are relatively straightforward, TWICE! This would suggest to me and the partnership that you are not suitable to work in an ever-changing retail environment.

You need to accept that you aren't the right person for the job and stop blaming the test. Take responsibility.

Also sir, you have an air of arrogance about you "there's no reason why I can't work there". What any retail job requires is an abundance of teamwork and selflessness, a willingness to go that extra mile, especially in Waitrose! I can't see any of the above in your responses and attitude.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending