The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

2nd year needing advice!

I'm currently studying BIT (half computer science and half business) but am struggling to get my placement because any programming jobs which is what I want aren't accepting me because people with just computer science are getting in ahead of me and I am not deemed as qualified as they are. I feel like i've hit a real stumbling block and don't know what to do because my degree just isn't working for me and getting me to the place I want to go. The way I see it is I have 3 options:

1 - Go back to first year and do a normal computer science degree (however I won't be able to get funding for one of those years)

2- Try to do lots of extracurricular events to make myself more attractive to employers and to gain more experience (however I'm worried this won't be enough to put me an a par with normal computer science students)

3- Finish my degree and do some sort of post grad but I'm unsure if this will put me on a par with a computer science student

Can anybody help me?
Original post by NiallBelfast
I'm currently studying BIT (half computer science and half business) but am struggling to get my placement because any programming jobs which is what I want aren't accepting me because people with just computer science are getting in ahead of me and I am not deemed as qualified as they are. I feel like i've hit a real stumbling block and don't know what to do because my degree just isn't working for me and getting me to the place I want to go. The way I see it is I have 3 options:

1 - Go back to first year and do a normal computer science degree (however I won't be able to get funding for one of those years)

2- Try to do lots of extracurricular events to make myself more attractive to employers and to gain more experience (however I'm worried this won't be enough to put me an a par with normal computer science students)

3- Finish my degree and do some sort of post grad but I'm unsure if this will put me on a par with a computer science student

Can anybody help me?

Hi there NiallBelfast,

I think the most important thing to do at this stage is sit down and have a really good chat with your course tutors as they should be able to give you informed advice about the best step to take. They probably have a lot of experience of advising students with similar concerns.

Also, any feedback you can get following your placement interviews may prove useful in shedding a light on what exactly will help bolster your CV and make it more attractive to potential employers.

Wishing you all the very best with your future studies!

Kachela
(Team Queen's)
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending