The Student Room Group

Midwifery applicants for 2016 - 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
Hi, second year student midwife here :smile:
Congratulations and good luck to everyone who has received an offer to start this year and good luck to anyone starting their application for next year. I've created a blog post about things I wish I'd known before becoming a student midwife and it's basically a few tips I've put together in the hope of helping someone.
The blog can be found here: https://myjourneyasastudentmidwife.wordpress.com/2016/09/05/10-things-i-wish-id-known-before-becoming-a-student-midwife/
Hope someone finds this helpful :smile:
hi
when i started college i did level 2 health and social care i have now completed it and got a good grade. This year is my second year of college now and i am doing btec level 3 health and social care and hoping to do extended diploma in this subject next year too. I really want to do midwifery when i go into uni but i have only got maths and RE at grade c dont laugh i got d in chemistry, d in biology only 1 mark away from a c i got ict diploma level 1/2 pass grade i got d in english. I am very worried will i even get into uni. I am doing gcse english at college and taking the exam at the end of the year now, and i am hoping i can do gcse science at the college. I was wondering will i get into midwery or adult nursing?

Thank you
Reply 882
Original post by OG94
Hey, Iv just been accepted for midwifery at Kings college London. You need to have your GCSE's and A levels or equivalent (Such as an Access course- which I'm doing!) including biology as a subject. If you haven't got these you could do an access course which will give you these grades to get in. This is if you're over 19 though! Try looking at the entry requirements on the Kings website and if there is an alternative. Hope this helps! :smile:

Howwww please share your techniques. Such a hard uni to get into. Where else did you have interviews for? What was the interview like? Entry tests? Lol spill pleaseeee
Hey!
I've applied for midwifery and got an interview at Liverpool John Moores!
Has anyone had an interview there yet or knows what the interview is like??
Thanks!
Hi everyone :smile:
I'm looking for a bit of advice!
I'm interested in applying for midwifery 2017 but due to how competitive the course is and the entry requirements becoming higher, I am unsure if it's worth applying or not?

I am 23 years old and I have level 3 qualifications with good grades, my issues occur with my level 2. I have GCSE English, Functional Skills Maths, OCR Science and a range of other BTEC first certificate level 2 qualifications.

I do not have the time and cannot financially afford to retake my level 2 qualifications. I have a range of different work experiences and currently just applied for a post within a maternity ward which I have an interview for in a few weeks (hoping it'll go in my favor)

Is it something you think I should go for even though my grades can be an issue? it'll be finding a university that has flexible entry requirements which many don't have
Or I have considered the alternative long route of adult nursing which my grades are more than likely to be accepted in and where it is less competitive

Thank you!
Original post by Dannie0
Hi everyone :smile:
I'm looking for a bit of advice!
I'm interested in applying for midwifery 2017 but due to how competitive the course is and the entry requirements becoming higher, I am unsure if it's worth applying or not?

I am 23 years old and I have level 3 qualifications with good grades, my issues occur with my level 2. I have GCSE English, Functional Skills Maths, OCR Science and a range of other BTEC first certificate level 2 qualifications.

I do not have the time and cannot financially afford to retake my level 2 qualifications. I have a range of different work experiences and currently just applied for a post within a maternity ward which I have an interview for in a few weeks (hoping it'll go in my favor)

Is it something you think I should go for even though my grades can be an issue? it'll be finding a university that has flexible entry requirements which many don't have
Or I have considered the alternative long route of adult nursing which my grades are more than likely to be accepted in and where it is less competitive

Thank you!

Hi!
You are best off ringing up the university's as now they are expecting GCSE maths and English, if you ring up and explain your circumstances they may tell you to apply or go to an open day where you can talk to a midwifery tutor and they can give you more information. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Mbennett28
Hi!
You are best off ringing up the university's as now they are expecting GCSE maths and English, if you ring up and explain your circumstances they may tell you to apply or go to an open day where you can talk to a midwifery tutor and they can give you more information. Good luck :smile:

Hello :smile:
I have done this but I am just unsure if it is worth taking the risk as you can only have one application per year, so if I should apply for midwifery on the off chance or go through adult nursing but I think that route is phasing out these days X

Thank you, you too!
Original post by Dannie0
Hello :smile:
I have done this but I am just unsure if it is worth taking the risk as you can only have one application per year, so if I should apply for midwifery on the off chance or go through adult nursing but I think that route is phasing out these days X

Thank you, you too!

Adult nursing is an option however, if you want to progress into midwifery if you get a loan from the government for your adult nursing you then have to pay the fees for the 18month course Which is sometimes difficult. It all depends On how confident you feel towards it, if you have relevant work experience and enough UCAS points to apply then i would say go for it.

Although I know for adult nursing you need your GCSE maths as majority of university's are not accepting functional skills. If this is the case I would try and do a adult course and do your GCSE maths and then apply for midwifery if you then have all the relevant work experience x
Has anyone heard off of UWS or Napier? I haven't been rejected but I haven't heard from them since I got the email saying they had received my application back in November. Getting a little bit worried now 😔

Kayleigh
Original post by kayleighd19
Has anyone heard off of UWS or Napier? I haven't been rejected but I haven't heard from them since I got the email saying they had received my application back in November. Getting a little bit worried now 😔

Kayleigh

Hi Kayleigh

I have also applied for UWS only received an acknowledgment so far!

I also received a invitation to go to the open day at the end of March. I applied for a ticket but now I am wondering would they have even bothered sending an invitation if they where going to reject me? Lol ...Wishfull thinking :biggrin:
Original post by Nutella15
Hi Kayleigh

I have also applied for UWS only received an acknowledgment so far!

I also received a invitation to go to the open day at the end of March. I applied for a ticket but now I am wondering would they have even bothered sending an invitation if they where going to reject me? Lol ...Wishfull thinking :biggrin:

Haha I think everyone got that email yesterday. Apparently it was a mistake. I'm so impatient. I just want to know if I'm going to get an interview and a place now!!
Original post by kayleighd19
Haha I think everyone got that email yesterday. Apparently it was a mistake. I'm so impatient. I just want to know if I'm going to get an interview and a place now!!

Same! Fingers crossed we hear something today !
Hopefully. Although knowing my luck I won't hear anything from anywhere until March!
Original post by Nutella15
Same! Fingers crossed we hear something today !

Hopefully. Although knowing my luck I won't hear anything from anywhere until March!
Reply 894
Has anyone had an offer from UWS yet?
I know that there have been at least three offers given out for UWS
Reply 896
I know a few girls that have been rejected but I still haven't heard anything yet and I'm starting to worry 😭
Reply 897
I was just wondering if someone accepts a place on adult nursing but then change so their mind and wants to do midwifery is it possible to change at Kingston?
Original post by Tat2016
I was just wondering if someone accepts a place on adult nursing but then change so their mind and wants to do midwifery is it possible to change at Kingston?

I think that all depends on the university itself and if they have places available, I would contact them
There isn't any harm in trying at least!
Original post by Tat2016

You should most definitely contact the uni your interested in and find out since your personal statement reflects adult nursing also, midwifery is more competitive than adult nursing so if there are places available you getter get in quick, good luck, update us in terms of how it goes 👍

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending