The Student Room Group
Student in halls, Buckinghamshire New University
Buckinghamshire New University
High Wycombe

Bucks New University - 2017 applicants

Hi Everyone

Welcome to the Bucks applicants 2017 thread.

We'd love to hear from you and know what courses you're looking to study with us. Hopefully you'll meet other people on here too that will be studying the same course.

We're just a few weeks away from our next open day - let us know if you're planning to come along!

If you have any questions, we're here to help, so just ask.

Hope to see you soon

Scroll to see replies

If anyone is interested in studying Nursing here at Bucks and they're unsure on anything or if they have any questions, please feel free to drop me a message on here. I'm currently in my Second Year studying Children's Nursing and I'm here to answer your questions so feel free to ask away.

Katherine
Student in halls, Buckinghamshire New University
Buckinghamshire New University
High Wycombe
Reply 2
Hi, Katherine! My name is Samara. I am actually an international student (from the United States) and I just submitted my application to Bucks New on the 17th of December for Child and Adult nursing, as well as ODP. I had a couple of questions for you, if you wouldn't mind answering:

1. How rigorous is the nursing program, particularly the first semester/term? Do you participate in lectures and classes as well as clinical work, or are the divided into separate semesters?

2. Do you think its manageable to maintain a part time job while studying nursing at Bucks New?

3. How long was the period between when you submitted your application and when you received a decision?

4. What were the group and individual interviews like, as well as the maths test? Is it basic GCSE math?

5. What do you love most about nursing program at Bucks New Uni? What advice would you give to any incoming nursing students?
Original post by samlynn
Hi, Katherine! My name is Samara. I am actually an international student (from the United States) and I just submitted my application to Bucks New on the 17th of December for Child and Adult nursing, as well as ODP. I had a couple of questions for you, if you wouldn't mind answering:

1. How rigorous is the nursing program, particularly the first semester/term? Do you participate in lectures and classes as well as clinical work, or are the divided into separate semesters?

2. Do you think its manageable to maintain a part time job while studying nursing at Bucks New?

3. How long was the period between when you submitted your application and when you received a decision?

4. What were the group and individual interviews like, as well as the maths test? Is it basic GCSE math?

5. What do you love most about nursing program at Bucks New Uni? What advice would you give to any incoming nursing students?

Hi Samara! I'm starting the BSc Adult Nursing degree in February 2017.

2. Well I'm lucky because at the nursing home that I currently work at is happily putting me on a bank care assistant contract so I get to choose when I can work, when I begin university in February.

3. I received an email for an interview a couple of weeks after submitting my personal statement. A few days after I had the interview, I received an unconditional offer.

4. The group and individual interviews was quite chilled, although I was extremely nervous! Correct, the Maths test was basic GCSE Maths.

So what month are you applying for - Febuary or September? Which choice of subject degree are you hoping to do the most out of Child, Adult Nursing and ODP?
Reply 4
Hi, Vanessa! It sounds like you have a great agreement going with your work. I'm a bit worried about that aspect, because my student visa will only allow me to work 20 hrs/week, and I'm afraid a potential employer might not be willing to work around my school schedule.

I've applied for September 2017 entry, and I am really, really hoping for admission into the ODP program. I do love nursing, but ODP seems like such a fantastic career to me. In the states, the ODP *rough* equivalent (we call them surgical technologists), do not get any training in anesthesia, and are very limited in what they can do. ODPs have three different routes/specializations, and I am absolutely fascinated by working in the operating theatre :smile:
Original post by samlynn
Hi, Vanessa! It sounds like you have a great agreement going with your work. I'm a bit worried about that aspect, because my student visa will only allow me to work 20 hrs/week, and I'm afraid a potential employer might not be willing to work around my school schedule.

I've applied for September 2017 entry, and I am really, really hoping for admission into the ODP program. I do love nursing, but ODP seems like such a fantastic career to me. In the states, the ODP *rough* equivalent (we call them surgical technologists), do not get any training in anesthesia, and are very limited in what they can do. ODPs have three different routes/specializations, and I am absolutely fascinated by working in the operating theatre :smile:

Hi samlynn,

It's great to hear you've applied to study at Bucks next year!

A lot of our nursing students do work when they can. If you don't want to commit to a job with fixed hours, you might want to consider applying to be one of our Student Ambassadors. You can work at open days, university events, help out with office work, school visits, promotional fairs, campus tours and more. The work is really varied and is offered out on a monthly basis so you can sign up for as much or as little as you like depending on your work commitments. You'll receive full training and great rates of pay, and it's also a brilliant thing to add to your CV!

I hope this helps, and good luck with your application!

Let me know if you want any more information.

Bucks New University.
Original post by samlynn

Hi Samara,

You probably saw a response that the Bucks New Univeristy page have given you as I have been busy, but I thought I'd reply to you as well.

1. So the nursing programme is of course a full time academic course which is very full on. You are in University attending lectures and seminars learning the theory side of nursing for the first 6 months. You then go out into practice for the next 6 months putting what you have learnt into action.

2. As the Bucks New Uni page said, a lot of the nursing students do have part time jobs. I'm currently a Student Ambassador which is a great role that enables me to earn a little bit of extra cash when I need it, but I am still able to have Nursing as my central focus. I'm also the Faculty Officer for Nursing which also helps me get in some more money, whilst also keeping me busy when I have days off.

3. You should hear from someone soon with regards to your application, but do bear in mind if will be a bit slower at this period of time due to the Christmas holidays.

4. Maths will be basic GCSE maths, and you can find some test papers on our website to help you revise. Make sure that in your interviews you stand out from the crowd, and that you should be the person they pick to be a nurse.

5. The thing I love the most about Nursing is the impact that I get to make on people's lives, as well as their families. Here at Bucks, I love how small the campus is in comparison to other institutes, which has allowed me to make lots of new friends, and maintain good relationships with members of University staff.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your application.

Katherine
Hi Everyone,

Happy New Year!

Hope you have all had a great time and didn't overdo it too much on the turkey and mince pies!

If you're interested in starting one of our nursing courses, don't forget we've got an open day this Saturday 7 January. Come and view our state-of-the-art facilities, meet course leaders and current students, and find out why there's no better place to start your career in nursing than at Bucks.

Register online today to attend.

We can't wait to meet you!

Bucks New University.
I've applied for Music Business at Bucks! Haven't yet found anyone else who's applied for a music/events related course, but looking for people who have :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Katherine28
If anyone is interested in studying Nursing here at Bucks and they're unsure on anything or if they have any questions, please feel free to drop me a message on here. I'm currently in my Second Year studying Children's Nursing and I'm here to answer your questions so feel free to ask away.

Katherine

Hi Katherine, My name is Meg and I have applied to Bucks New Uni hoping to study children's nursing! I was just wondering if you could give any general interview advice as I have mine coming up soon! I also wanted to know if you had any children's nursing experience before going to uni? Also one last question regarding the maths and english tests. Do we get an interview even if we fail the tests? With Herts uni if I fail the maths then I don't get to interview. Thank you!
Original post by radleyroo
Hi Katherine, My name is Meg and I have applied to Bucks New Uni hoping to study children's nursing! I was just wondering if you could give any general interview advice as I have mine coming up soon! I also wanted to know if you had any children's nursing experience before going to uni? Also one last question regarding the maths and english tests. Do we get an interview even if we fail the tests? With Herts uni if I fail the maths then I don't get to interview. Thank you!

Hi Meg,

Good luck with your application and with your interview!

So you will have a group interview as well as an individual interview. In the group interview you would've been asked to bring in an article relating to your field of study and that you find interesting. You will also have to discuss this article, and then explain why you picked it and why you find it interesting. Make sure that you find it from a valuable source, such as 'The Nursing Times' or something similar. Make sure that in your group interview you stand out, and you're not just sat there not saying anything, but make sure that you don't control the other people in the group, and that you allow them to input as well.

In the individual interview you will be asked all the basic interviews, such as why you want to be a nurse, why you want to do Children's nursing, and what makes you stand out from everyone else they'll be interviewing. Make sure that you don't just say 'because I find it interesting' though. You may be asked about any previous healthcare experience, or what you're willing to try out. Also you may be asked some simple questions like what's your favourite book and why.

I had done some previous work experience, such as working in a nursery and primary school. I also did some volunteering at a children's learning disability day centre, and at Age UK for elderly people.

So on the day, you will go into one big room and sit an english and maths test. After you have sat these tests you will go into your group interview and individual interview before your tests get marked. If it came to it that you didn't pass the tests, but you did do really well in the interview then they would consider you for a place at Bucks.

Good luck! Please don't hesitate to get in contact with myself if you have any additional questions :smile:

Katherine
Hi Meg,

So you will have a group interview as well as an individual interview. In the group interview you would've been asked to bring in an article relating to your field of study and that you find interesting. You will also have to discuss this article, and then explain why you picked it and why you find it interesting. Make sure that you find it from a valuable source, such as 'The Nursing Times' or something similar. Make sure that in your group interview you stand out, and you're not just sat there not saying anything, but make sure that you don't control the other people in the group, and that you allow them to input as well.

In the individual interview you will be asked all the basic interviews, such as why you want to be a nurse, why you want to do Children's nursing, and what makes you stand out from everyone else they'll be interviewing. Make sure that you don't just say 'because I find it interesting' though. You may be asked about any previous healthcare experience, or what you're willing to try out. Also you may be asked some simple questions like what's your favourite book and why.

I had done some previous work experience, such as working in a nursery and primary school. I also did some volunteering at a children's learning disability day centre, and at Age UK for elderly people.

So on the day, you will go into one big room and sit an english and maths test. After you have sat these tests you will go into your group interview and individual interview before your tests get marked. If it came to it that you didn't pass the tests, but you did do really well in the interview then they would consider you for a place at Bucks.

Good luck! Please don't hesitate to get in contact with myself if you have any additional questions :smile:

Katherine

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly! I went on a nursing open day at Bucks and fell in love with it so hopefully (fingers crossed) they'll like me too!! :smile:
Meg
Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly! I went on a nursing open day at Bucks and fell in love with it so hopefully (fingers crossed) they'll like me too!! :smile:
Meg

Hi Meg,

It's great to hear you enjoyed the nursing open day you attended here at Bucks.

Good luck with your interview, and if you have any other questions just ask!

Bucks New University.
Hello everyone,

I hope you are all well, and are having a good 2017 so far!

If you're interested in starting one of our nursing courses, then please do come along to our next nursing open day due to take place Saturday 8th April. Come and view our state-of-the-art facilities, meet course leaders and current students, and find out why there's no better place to start your career in nursing than at Bucks.

You can book on here by following this link- http://bucks.ac.uk/opendays/nursing/

We can't wait to meet you!

In the meantime however, if you have any questions with regards to the course, or the University in general, then please do get in contact with me, and I'll be happy to help.

Katherine
Hi Meg,

Katherine

Hi Katherine!

Really sorry to bother you again but just wanted to know (a) What do you have to do for the english test? and (b) How long are the individual interviews? And also just in general how long will the whole day take?
Thanks again!
Meg :smile:
Hi Katherine!

Really sorry to bother you again but just wanted to know (a) What do you have to do for the english test? and (b) How long are the individual interviews? And also just in general how long will the whole day take?
Thanks again!
Meg :smile:

Hi Meg,

No worries, that's what I'm here for. Sorry for the belated reply.

For the English test you are given a scenario and from my understanding you have to answer a few questions with regards to this scenario. Here you would talk about your feelings and how you would react to this situation if you were to come across it. They are also looking at your academic writing skills, so make sure that your grammar is correct and that you use the correct punctuation at the right times.

It is hard to say exactly how long the individual interview will take, as it all depends on how much you expand on your answers that you give, and whether the interviewers have any additional questions or if you have questions for them.

The day will be about half a day. You will come in and do your English and Maths test and then you will go into your group interview and then your individual one.

Katherine
Hi, my name is Georgie.
I have been given a conditional offer for children's nurse starting Feb 2018. One of my conditions is to attend an interview in August, what will this interview entail?

Many Thanks
Original post by georgie2505
Hi, my name is Georgie.
I have been given a conditional offer for children's nurse starting Feb 2018. One of my conditions is to attend an interview in August, what will this interview entail?

Many Thanks

Hi Georgie,

Firstly, congratulations on your conditional offer to study at Bucks - that's great news!

We've put together some useful information on our website about what to expect from the nursing selection days. Hopefully this helps you, but let us know if you have any specific questions.

Have you been to attend an open day yet?

Bucks New University.
Hi, i am hoping to study the course Film, TV and stage at Bucks! I'm attending an interview/audition next week on the 22nd Feb and I do have some questions about the English and Maths tests as i'm really concerned about the Maths. I'm studying English for A level so that i'm not exactly nervous about that one. However, Maths is a worry. It really isn't my subject and i haven't even passed foundation yet!! I was just wondering is there a point in trying this because i know for a fact i will most likely fail and i know Bucks want GCSE Maths. I just don't want to waste £300 coming down for trains and hotel and to be told that i definitely need Maths or i wont be accepted. Bucks is my first choice and i really want to do this course. Any ideas:smile:))?
Hi Tashh_wood,

Thanks for your message and congratulations on getting through to the audition stage with us!

I've had a chat with our Admissions Team and they have advised you to definitely come along to the audition next week. We do usually ask for most of our students to have achieved English and Maths and GCSE grade C or above before starting with us - this is also beneficial for you after you graduate, as many employers will ask for you to hold these qualifications too. However, we do also accept Functional Skills or other Level 2 equivalent qualification, so it doesn't necessarily have to be the full GCSE that you need to have passed.

Once you have attended the audition, we aim to give you the feedback as soon as we can, so this will give you plenty of time to look into your options for gaining your maths qualification. I believe that the Functional Skills courses are a bit more accessible and you can often study online and just go to a test centre to complete the assessment, rather than go through full GCSE classes.

I hope this helps, and good luck for your audition!

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to contact us.

Bucks New University.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending