The Student Room Group

Rank my unis

I'm having trouble choosing a firm and insurance! I've applied to do BA German and Russian have received replies from all of my choices:
-Manchester (I have an interview lined up)
-Bristol (ABB)
-Sheffield (ABB)
-Leeds (AAB - incl A in German)
-Nottingham (ABB)
Just wondering what everyone's' suggestions are and if you could rank them all based on your own personal opinions, whether it's subject-specific/course-related, in terms of prestige, graduate prospects, student life/city, overall etc etc (but please specify this) :smile:
Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Choosing a uni is very personal so please don't leave it up to TSR especially since you're asking for very general opinions. Each uni will have strengths and weaknesses so way them up based on what's important to you and which course you're most interested in.
Original post by helloimlukas
I'm having trouble choosing a firm and insurance! I've applied to do BA German and Russian have received replies from all of my choices:
-Bristol (ABB)
-Sheffield (ABB)
-Nottingham (ABB)
Just wondering what everyone's' suggestions are and if you could rank them all based on your own personal opinions, whether it's subject-specific/course-related, in terms of prestige, graduate prospects, student life/city, overall etc etc (but please specify this) :smile:
Thanks!

This is looking from a student life/city perspective...my wide went to Uni of Leeds, it's a fantastic university in an awesome, really fun and vibrant city (which is not what i expected at all!).

Regarding the others Manchester and Bristol are two of my favourite cities in the UK, Bristol in particular has an edge to it which makes it an incredibly culturally diverse place to spend 3 years, while also being a highly regarded institution.

Beyond that, I would highly suggest taking a look at the forums for each of your uni's on TSR, ask some current students and definitely check out Uni Match to see some real reviews from exiting students https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/
Reply 4
-Bristol (ABB)
-Sheffield (ABB)
-Nottingham (ABB)
Thanks!

I think the best way to choose is to look at the course structure - which suits your learning style the best - and which city would you be most happy in?

From experience, I can tell you that Bristol is a relatively large city and can get very expensive, but is good if you prefer an 'alternative' vibe. There are a lot of varied club nights as well!

Sheffield is very small but lovely city, and is right next to the peak district (busses out there are cheap) so good if you like walking/cycling! It also has good shopping and is generally a really lovely, and relatively cheap, place to live.

Leeds is huge but also a really nice city. I can't say much about it as I've mainly only been there for gigs and a conference. The uni is quite far out from the city though.

Personally, if you have the choice of these three, I wouldn't consider Nottingham. It's not the nicest city, but then I haven't spent much time there, so if you've been on an open day or something your views will be the best!

I haven't been to Manchester so don't really have anything to say about that one.
Original post by ax12
Bristol is a relatively large city ...Sheffield is very small ...Leeds is huge

These three cities are about the same size.
Reply 6
Original post by cambio wechsel
These three cities are about the same size.

They aren't, Leeds is a massive city! A quick google will tell you that :P

In Sheffield, the university and city centre are relatively close, and you can get cheap student accommodation in the middle of them, so there's not a lot of travelling involved. A lot of what you would call Sheffield is relatively far out, but not places that you will be needing to go as a student.

In Leeds, the city centre is huge and the university is very far out from it, so there's more travelling involved and the places you'll be in are over a wider distance.

I live in Bristol so I don't have the experience from a student perspective (apart from conferences), but the university and halls are also spread over a relatively large area, although from what I can tell not as much as Leeds.
-Bristol (ABB)
-Sheffield (ABB)
-Nottingham (ABB)
Thanks!

I study German and Russian (and Dutch too) at Sheffield and it's brilliant. Great uni and amazing city. Course is fun and the teachers are passionate and a great laugh.

Firm Sheffield mate. :smile:
Original post by ax12
They aren't, Leeds is a massive city! A quick google will tell you that :P

In Sheffield, the university and city centre are relatively close, and you can get cheap student accommodation in the middle of them, so there's not a lot of travelling involved. A lot of what you would call Sheffield is relatively far out, but not places that you will be needing to go as a student.

In Leeds, the city centre is huge and the university is very far out from it, so there's more travelling involved and the places you'll be in are over a wider distance.

I live in Bristol so I don't have the experience from a student perspective (apart from conferences), but the university and halls are also spread over a relatively large area, although from what I can tell not as much as Leeds.

Youre making alot of assumptions... both sheffield and leeds unis are about the same distance from the town centres. Sheffield just seems smaller because the CBD is smaller, they are about the same size. Ive been to and walked all over both of them.
Reply 9
Original post by SonoLuma
Youre making alot of assumptions... both sheffield and leeds unis are about the same distance from the town centres. Sheffield just seems smaller because the CBD is smaller, they are about the same size. Ive been to and walked all over both of them.

Ok well I was giving my perspective on things, and I'm sure the OP will have visited/experienced them themselves :smile:
Original post by ax12
Ok well I was giving my perspective on things, and I'm sure the OP will have visited/experienced them themselves :smile:

Well, its not a perspective. Its an assumption, which is wrong.

And the OP asked about the cities in the questions. literally the only reason I posted on this because you were just making stuff up and I know the cities well.

If the OP has visited them/experienced them themselves, then dont make stuff up about cities you dont know about ^.^
Reply 11
Well, its not a perspective. Its an assumption, which is wrong.

And the OP asked about the cities in the questions. literally the only reason I posted on this because you were just making stuff up and I know the cities well.

If the OP has visited them/experienced them themselves, then dont make stuff up about cities you dont know about ^.^

Ok I'll put it this way - when I lived in Sheffield my student accommodation was 5-10 minutes away from the uni buildings, and it took me less than 20 minutes to walk into town.

When I stayed with students in Leeds it took approximately 40 minutes to walk to the university, and we got a taxi into town which took around 10-15 minutes (so longer than 20 minutes to walk).

The Bristol students I stayed with lived around 20 minutes away from the university buildings, and it took me a good 40-50 minutes to get from the train station (near the centre) to their accommodation.

This is what I meant when I was talking about the size and my perspective of the cities. I wasn't 'making stuff up' (why would I?). If you know the cities well, you can give your perspective.
Original post by ax12
Ok I'll put it this way - when I lived in Sheffield my student accommodation was 5-10 minutes away from the uni buildings, and it took me less than 20 minutes to walk into town.

When I stayed with students in Leeds it took approximately 40 minutes to walk to the university, and we got a taxi into town which took around 10-15 minutes (so longer than 20 minutes to walk).

The Bristol students I stayed with lived around 20 minutes away from the university buildings, and it took me a good 40-50 minutes to get from the train station (near the centre) to their accommodation.

This is what I meant when I was talking about the size and my perspective of the cities. I wasn't 'making stuff up' (why would I?). If you know the cities well, you can give your perspective.

I lived in the uni complex at Leeds (in fact I lived outside the complex on the far side of town so I walked further). You are for absolutely sure lying about it taking 40 minutes to walk to town. My friends walk slow and even they didnt take 40 minutes to walk from the uni to town or vice versa. From the Uni complex it takes 20 minutes absollute tops to get to town. If you didnt, then youre either lying or you're wrong. I would say youre lying because a taxi takes us 20 minutes to get from harehills to hyde park (the opposite side of the city to the opposite side of the university.) Bear in mind, I frequent leeds very often so I am very sure that youre lying/wrong.

I volunteer for research in sheffield Uni, it takes me 15-20 minutes to walk to the Uni from the train station.

This isnt my perspective by the way, its the actual facts. If my friends dont take 40 minutes and you do, and the taxi going across town in 15-20, then you are for sure exaggerating/lying.

I go to both of these cities regularly. I know you are B***Sh***ing.
Reply 13
I lived in the uni complex at Leeds (in fact I lived outside the complex on the far side of town so I walked further). You are for absolutely sure lying about it taking 40 minutes to walk to town. My friends walk slow and even they didnt take 40 minutes to walk from the uni to town or vice versa. From the Uni complex it takes 20 minutes absollute tops to get to town. If you didnt, then youre either lying or you're wrong. I would say youre lying because a taxi takes us 20 minutes to get from harehills to hyde park (the opposite side of the city to the opposite side of the university.) Bear in mind, I frequent leeds very often so I am very sure that youre lying/wrong.

I volunteer for research in sheffield Uni, it takes me 15-20 minutes to walk to the Uni from the train station.

This isnt my perspective by the way, its the actual facts. If my friends dont take 40 minutes and you do, and the taxi going across town in 15-20, then you are for sure exaggerating/lying.

I go to both of these cities regularly. I know you are B***Sh***ing.

Christ, why would I lie? This isn't even about it. I said it takes 20 minutes in Sheffield, and I lived right next to the uni. I've also been visiting my boyfriend there for the last 3 years, so I know Sheffield very well. The students I stayed with in Leeds were in private rented houses not the halls, and I said I have limited experience there. I'm sure the OP appreciates your input, and I am not on TSR to lie to people or get into petty arguments, so I won't respond again. I also wasn't trying to say where they should or shouldn't go, as I have no opinion on the matter.
Original post by ax12
Christ, why would I lie? This isn't even about it. I said it takes 20 minutes in Sheffield, and I lived right next to the uni. I've also been visiting my boyfriend there for the last 3 years, so I know Sheffield very well. The students I stayed with in Leeds were in private rented houses not the halls, and I said I have limited experience there. I'm sure the OP appreciates your input, and I am not on TSR to lie to people or get into petty arguments, so I won't respond again. I also wasn't trying to say where they should or shouldn't go, as I have no opinion on the matter.

Why would you lie? Beats me, but I know that you are.

It doesnt matter to me why you are, but I am pointing out that you are absolutely wrong. It doesnt matter about why or for what reason, I am pointing out that you are for sure wrong. Instead of getting all "I refuse to reply to your posts" why dont you concentrate on not giving wrong advice on a post asking for advice.

If you have no opinion on "the matter" then dont post BS and then try to make me out to be petty when I tell you it is wrong and you get all sarcastic. Know when to admit that you are wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending