The Student Room Group

Timing chain

I"m thinking of buying a vauxhall corsa the mileage and everything is fine. The issue is when i look at the past MOT it says the timing chain is making some noise. Now the car is SORN and israrely driven. I was considering changing the timing chain because the car is well priced? Is it worth buying or should i just forget about it?
The number plate is BN08 NUA
What mileage should the timing belt be done, and has this car passed that mileage? If you're worried about the timing belt, have you also looked at the auxilliary drivebelts to check for perishing, crazing and the like, particularly if the car has been unused/rarely used. The worse thing for a car is to sit for long periods without being started or driven.
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
What mileage should the timing belt be done, and has this car passed that mileage? If you're worried about the timing belt, have you also looked at the auxilliary drivebelts to check for perishing, crazing and the like, particularly if the car has been unused/rarely used. The worse thing for a car is to sit for long periods without being started or driven.

The mileage at the moment is 65k. Thats what im worried about the fact it hasnt been driven. How do I look for the auxillary drivebelt? Sorry I dont know much about cars
Timing chains rarely fail (that's why they're used) but it sounds like the Corsa has issues with poor tensioners. Sounds like it's at least worth considering changing it, factor that cost into what you're going to pay and decide whether it's still a good deal. If it's been standing a while it wants an oil change, and the brakes may need cleaning up or replacing. Oh and also worth looking for signs of rodents... my UK car has been in my parents' garden for two and a half years, started up straightaway once the battery was charged, but had a rat's nest and a mouse nest under the bonnet!
Reply 4
Original post by CurlyBen
Timing chains rarely fail (that's why they're used) but it sounds like the Corsa has issues with poor tensioners. Sounds like it's at least worth considering changing it, factor that cost into what you're going to pay and decide whether it's still a good deal. If it's been standing a while it wants an oil change, and the brakes may need cleaning up or replacing. Oh and also worth looking for signs of rodents... my UK car has been in my parents' garden for two and a half years, started up straightaway once the battery was charged, but had a rat's nest and a mouse nest under the bonnet!

The car is £1350. How much do you reckon it will cost to sort everything out?
There probably isn't anything wrong with the chain itself, what probably is the issue is the tensioner.

Auxiliary belt is the belt you see on the alternator and air condition compressor, in most cars these days it is the only rubber belt.

The parts themselves aren't expensive but the labour can be.
Reply 6
Currently have a noisy chain on my 61 plate 1.2 Corsa, best quote I've got so far is 400 to replace the full chain inclusive of VAT, parts, and labour.

They're recommended to be changed at 80k if not already done beforehand. Some fail quicker than others.
Original post by CurlyBen
Timing chains rarely fail (that's why they're used)

Chains in quite modern cars actually do fail. They now often look like a normal bicykle chain, while in 50ties or 60ties, they were thick and of double construction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending