The Student Room Group

Are Mazda 6 good cars?

I am interested in buying a Mazda 6, Are they reliable cars?
(edited 7 years ago)
Which version?
Original post by Alfissti
Which version?

It's a 2006 Mazda 6 with 2.0 petrol. Its a sedan.
Yep, pretty reliable, well-built cars. Not the most exciting ones out there, but a solid choice.
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Yep, pretty reliable, well-built cars. Not the most exciting ones out there, but a solid choice.

I heard that the spare parts are too expensive for Mazdas
They are decent cars considering the era they were built in, parts however can be a bit on the high side.

I'd probably buy a Honda Accord from the same era though.
Reply 6
I have a 2009 1.8L version. It works well as a family car, reliable, nice and comfy, big boot. Not the most exciting to drive (our other car is an MX-5, bit of a contrast!) but reasonable performance for its kind.
Reply 7
Mazda 6 performs well in surveys and gets decent reviews. The depreciation tends to be a bit higher than its peers.
Original post by Helenia
I have a 2009 1.8L version. It works well as a family car, reliable, nice and comfy, big boot. Not the most exciting to drive (our other car is an MX-5, bit of a contrast!) but reasonable performance for its kind.

I drove one and these things handle so well, I test drove a 2007 Mazda 6 with 2.0 engine, it feels a bit under powerd but pretty decent to drive. I own a Toyota Hilux and it has massive body body roll due to being a truck. Anyways thanks for your advice :u:
Original post by Tcannon
Mazda 6 performs well in surveys and gets decent reviews. The depreciation tends to be a bit higher than its peers.

Vehicle depreciation depends on the car market in each part of the world. Take UAE as an example where Mazda depreciates badly unlike a Mercedes and Toyota because getting mazda spare parts are not easy there. Whereas in Germany these car depreciates the least because it sells there so well, almost every mazda wagon in Germany is a taxi cab. I have been to both countries and yeah, it's all about the location where you buy these.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah, mazdas ade usually pretty solid, reliable cars.
Original post by Emma:-)
Yeah, mazdas ade usually pretty solid, reliable cars.

I drove a 2017 Mazda 6 and it is so much fun to drive and it looks better than a Toyota camry and Honda Accord. To be honest I badly want a Mazda 6 but its more expensive to fix it if anything on the car fails like a transmission or an engine failure. In UAE, Mazda spare parts are too expensive, even when compared to high-end luxury makes since these don't sell that well here. I have heard that Mazdas are suspectible to head gasket leaks and engine failure, I hope these doesn't involve newer models :frown:. I feel Mazdas are solid built cars and fun to drive :smile:
Original post by Mr. Petrol Head
I drove a 2017 Mazda 6 and it is so much fun to drive and it looks better than a Toyota camry and Honda Accord. To be honest I badly want a Mazda 6 but its more expensive to fix it if anything on the car fails like a transmission or an engine failure. In UAE, Mazda spare parts are too expensive, even when compared to high-end luxury makes since these don't sell that well here. I have heard that Mazdas are suspectible to head gasket leaks and engine failure, I hope these doesn't involve newer models :frown:. I feel Mazdas are solid built cars and fun to drive :smile:

Im not sure about parts, but i know in general that mazdas over here can be slightly pricey to buy. But they are worth it. I had a look round a mazda 2 last year and it was amazing. It really was the dogs *******s.
Original post by Emma:-)
Im not sure about parts, but i know in general that mazdas over here can be slightly pricey to buy. But they are worth it. I had a look round a mazda 2 last year and it was amazing. It really was the dogs *******s.

Yep, the spare parts are really expensive for these unfortunately especially if you are a student with no source of income. Mazda 2 is a sweet little ride. Haha dogs love the hatchback too, did you mean about their fur? Lol!
(edited 7 years ago)
Mazda spares in general are ludicrously expensive. Certain versions of the Mazda 6 have also got insanely expensive tyres as well, 2010 Takuya only comes with 1 wheel size, which only 3 manufacturers make tyres for (Michelin, Goodyear and Continental) tyres on that start at £140 each, with the most efficient option being from Michelin at £220 per tyre.

If you do get a used one, don't even bother servicing it with Mazda, a major service comes in at well over £300, even a BMW is consistently cheaper to service.
Original post by iainvg
Mazda spares in general are ludicrously expensive. Certain versions of the Mazda 6 have also got insanely expensive tyres as well, 2010 Takuya only comes with 1 wheel size, which only 3 manufacturers make tyres for (Michelin, Goodyear and Continental) tyres on that start at £140 each, with the most efficient option being from Michelin at £220 per tyre.

If you do get a used one, don't even bother servicing it with Mazda, a major service comes in at well over £300, even a BMW is consistently cheaper to service.

Haha, atleast someone agrees with me. I was going to buy a Mazda 6 with a v6 engine. I looked into maintanence cost and its very costly. I ended up buying a Toyota camry, a solid car based on Lexus es platform. I freaking love it!.

Quick Reply

Latest