The Student Room Group
blindspots ... cut in ... rwd vs fwd ...

a lot will depend how confident you are as a driver

i've done vehicles movements , you need to be a confident driver with a good feel for the clutch
Reply 2
I used to work as a delivery driver for about 6 months before I quit (hated the hours and the pressure),

As ZippyRN says, you need to watch the blindspots etc. The biggest vans I drove were the lab sprinters (like DPD etc drive) and they're fine but need a large swing for tight corners so require forward planning.

I really enjoy driving vans as they're much higher up than 4x4s even - however you really need to watch, especially with larger vans as the general public don't seem to be able to comprehend that you need a larger swing. I once took the front bumper off car car as I was in the middle of two lanes indicating left (90deg turn with narrow gates) and the car driver took offence and tried to scoot up the inside of the van.

Another thing to note - vans are classed as commercial vehicles and as such have different speed limits on certain roads (50 in a national speed limit single carriageway road for example), not that you ever see van drivers obeying it :wink:.
Original post by K-Nitro
Just got a job transporting Vans but never really driven one before... Biggest Car I've driven is my parent's Mokka and that was only a few times.

I spent the summer driving vans around when I was working as I worked for a rental company. Sizes ranged from SWB to LWB length vans.

The first few times I just had to remind myself how long the LWB vans are as you can get caught out around long turns, BE CAREFUL over drive the corner to make sure you have enough so you dont catch the rear wheels on a corner. Also make sure that you be careful when the van is empty and on low fuel, then it is VERY easy to spin the front wheels. But after the first few times driving them, you'll get used to it, also prepare yourself for some mad leg muscles because the clutch is positioned differently, like you kinda have to hold you leg up haha. Also, remember that most vans have two side mirrors, one wide angle view so that it covers the blind spot and a main side mirror, so make sure your mirrors are set so you can see.

Just my few tips from my experience.

What company is the job with because I love driving and wouldn't mind transporting vans?

EDIT:
Original post by ichak

Another thing to note - vans are classed as commercial vehicles and as such have different speed limits on certain roads (50 in a national speed limit single carriageway road for example), not that you ever see van drivers obeying it :wink:.

Yeaa,, nobody follows these.
(edited 7 years ago)
The only vans i've driven so far ~
images.jpg
.-.
Watch out for hits of side wind over 60 miles per hour.
Reply 6
Another consideration i've not seen mentioned here is overhead clearance. Watch out going through 'drive through' things like fast food restaurants, overhead canopies and such. Bank drive-up windows often have overhead items you can impact. Sometimes pedestrian crossings can be too low for what you're driving. The ultimate in this regard i've heard of, was a new fire truck at Milwaukee International airport [Wisconsin]. The third day it was there, they had a lorry smash on the interstate. It was an aerial foam truck - capable of squirting foam over a 747 aircraft (all the way over). Needless to say, it was rather tall. They ripped out of the fire station (on airport grounds), opened the radio-controlled gates out into the public area, went through a parking lot + out onto the public streets. At the first two intersections, they snagged + tore down 3 sets of traffic lights - which controlled 6 lanes of traffic. Measurements showed that they would have cleared the 6 lane underpasses over those intersections by 4 inches (just enough). The traffic lights are now on posts along the streets - no overhead wires. Cheers.
Side winds blows on motorways can be tricky, especially when going fast.
Original post by Rabbit2
Another consideration i've not seen mentioned here is overhead clearance. Watch out going through 'drive through' things like fast food restaurants, overhead canopies and such. Bank drive-up windows often have overhead items you can impact. Sometimes pedestrian crossings can be too low for what you're driving. The ultimate in this regard i've heard of, was a new fire truck at Milwaukee International airport [Wisconsin]. The third day it was there, they had a lorry smash on the interstate. It was an aerial foam truck - capable of squirting foam over a 747 aircraft (all the way over). Needless to say, it was rather tall. They ripped out of the fire station (on airport grounds), opened the radio-controlled gates out into the public area, went through a parking lot + out onto the public streets. At the first two intersections, they snagged + tore down 3 sets of traffic lights - which controlled 6 lanes of traffic. Measurements showed that they would have cleared the 6 lane underpasses over those intersections by 4 inches (just enough). The traffic lights are now on posts along the streets - no overhead wires. Cheers.

Original post by PTMalewski
Side winds blows on motorways can be tricky, especially when going fast.

This thread is 2 years old...

Latest

Trending

Trending