The Student Room Group

Should i do further maths gcse?

Since the start of y.11, our maths teacher has held after school lessons once a week for further maths for some students. Now, we have to decide whether we want to do the exam and i'm not sure if i should. tbh i enjoy further maths more than maths it's like more logical but i don't want to put too much pressure on myself. My teacher said if i get an A in my mock i should be capable to do it and i got an A so... im not sure but our school always has students that got A*^ every year, idk if im good enough to get that but i thought it would be worth a try. I want to do a level maths btw
Im in the same situation as you and im going to take it :biggrin:
It makes maths seem easier and will give you a great start to a level
If you are worried about your grade just know that grase boundaries for aqa further maths gcse are ridiculously low like 60% for an a*.
Original post by whowannadate
If you are worried about your grade just know that grase boundaries for aqa further maths gcse are ridiculously low like 60% for an a*.

ik!! but tbh i would be so happy with an a and that's like 87/175 or something stupid like that
Original post by idkidkidkidkidk
ik!! but tbh i would be so happy with an a and that's like 87/175 or something stupid like that

Yeah samee 👊
Reply 4

The A* in this qualification is devalued though, it really is just an A, and an A^ grade is basically just a A* and so by this logic I think a B is really just a C.
Original post by B_9710
The A* in this qualification is devalued though, it really is just an A, and an A^ grade is basically just a A* and so by this logic I think a B is really just a C.

No it's not , ur talking out ur ass
Definitely do it, it will make AS (C1 and parts of C2) seem so trivial
Reply 7
No it's not , ur talking out ur ass

It is. If you look at the marks you need to get a C, it's really low and so it really is just a grade D. In fact take a look at these grade boundaries.
image.jpg
It's about 20% for a C. That's on the same sort of lvevel as a D in the normal GCSE right. The A^ grade here is just under 85% which again is about equivalent to the marks (%) needed for an A* grade in the normal GCSE.
Original post by idkidkidkidkidk
Since the start of y.11, our maths teacher has held after school lessons once a week for further maths for some students. Now, we have to decide whether we want to do the exam and i'm not sure if i should. tbh i enjoy further maths more than maths it's like more logical but i don't want to put too much pressure on myself. My teacher said if i get an A in my mock i should be capable to do it and i got an A so... im not sure but our school always has students that got A*^ every year, idk if im good enough to get that but i thought it would be worth a try. I want to do a level maths btw

Yeah, you really should. You have nothing to lose and if you enjoy Maths its great. You learn a lot more maths. I'm taking Further Maths and Additional Maths GCSE and I enjoy it a lot more than Maths GCSe and since the new GCSE is a lot of problem solving, I actually find it easier to do! Little problem solving, they just ask questions.
Original post by B_9710
It is. If you look at the marks you need to get a C, it's really low and so it really is just a grade D. In fact take a look at these grade boundaries.
image.jpg
It's about 20% for a C. That's on the same sort of lvevel as a D in the normal GCSE right. The A^ grade here is just under 85% which again is about equivalent to the marks (%) needed for an A* grade in the normal GCSE.

Just stop. If it says A* on results day then it's an A*. If it says A on results day it's an A.
Reply 10
Just stop. If it says A* on results day then it's an A*. If it says A on results day it's an A.

Yes of course. But what I'm saying is I don't see that as being as impressive as an A* where an A* is the highest grade - you see my point?
Original post by B_9710
Yes of course. But what I'm saying is I don't see that as being as impressive as an A* where an A* is the highest grade - you see my point?

sry but no1 cares about ur dumb opinion :smile:
Reply 12
sry but no1 cares about ur dumb opinion :smile:

It's not really an opinion, it's a fact. What's wrong with you?
Original post by B_9710
It's not really an opinion, it's a fact. What's wrong with you?

lol retard, stick to btec
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
lol retard, stick to btec

I'm assuming you're still a GCSE kid?
Original post by B_9710
image.jpg

Lol maybe it's just bc it's bloody hard - at least harder than normal gcse level, ifs it's still an a gosh
Original post by B_9710
image.jpg

Mabye the reason why there are such low grade boundaries is because the test is hard.
Reply 17
Original post by stoyfan
Mabye the reason why there are such low grade boundaries is because the test is hard.

Maybe.
Original post by B_9710
Maybe.

Such a retard holy ****
Reply 19
Such a retard holy ****

What's up?

Quick Reply

Latest