The Student Room Group

Conversion to Christianity / Islamic parents

As the title tells, i converted to Christianity not too long ago and I am bullied by my family for it.

Why I left;
- Light skin preference
- Laws against women
- Sharia law
- Protecting Israel
- Quran 3:151 (intolerance of Kaffirs)
- Hadiths on black people
- Taqiyya
- Banu Qurayza/Mustaliq which made me see my prophet in a negative light.

I have expressed my views to my parents but they still force me to attend Mosque to preserve family "honour" and I sometimes have to wear a hijab.
The Quran does not say you have to wear a hijab, and trust me in Mecca nearly all women decide not to wear it; only when they come here.
I have lived in Uganda (muslim country) for a year when I was 8 and I don't recall many women wearing a Hijab either or a Burka. Its only when they come here.

Why I may want convert to Christianity?

- My dad is a roman catholic (italian)
- Stances on women
- Equal rights
- Offensive quotes in the bible were ruled insufficient by the Vatican Council II

I have attended mass over the past year and I am currently on confirmation age. Which is causing problems in my family
Help?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Don't convert to any new religion just stay as an Atheist. This way no political problems carry into the future
Inb4 May Allah guide u back

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
I mean there's not a lot you can do until you leave home tbh. Conflict of religion is always going to be tough.

This is gonna be a good thread though lol
Original post by LisaNikita
I have attended mass over the past year and I am currently on confirmation age. Which is causing problems in my family
Help?

If you live with your family do what they tell you. When you leave you can do what you want.
Reply 5
As the title tells, i converted to Christianity not too long ago and I am bullied by my family for it.

Why I left;
- Light skin preference
- Laws against women
- Sharia law
- Protecting Israel
- Taqiyya

I have expressed my views to my parents but they still force me to attend Mosque to preserve family "honour" and I sometimes have to wear a hijab.
The Quran does not say you have to wear a hijab, and trust me in Mecca nearly all women decide not to wear it; only when they come here.
I have lived in Uganda (muslim country) for a year when I was 8 and I don't recall many women wearing a Hijab either or a Burka. Its only when they come here.

- My dad (Eugenio Maric) is a roman catholic (italian)
- Stances on women
- Equal rights
- Offensive quotes in the bible were ruled insufficient by the Vatican Council II

Help?

Can you elaborate on the bolded?
You know, realisticly, anyone who converts to a different religion than the one their family has is going to have some sort of problem with them... God doesn't promise an easy ride. But if you know the parable Jesus gave about the wise man who built his house on the rock, and the foolish man who built his house on the sand, they both got the storm - but the wise man survived. So if you're leaning on something strong, not just to appearance, but actually strong and real, you will stand.

I've found people convert to Christianity for many different reasons. Some, because they want an answer. Others, because they seek forgiveness and peace. I converted mostly out of a mixture of fear, duty and love, which, looking back on it, was not perhaps the best preparation! But over the years (I've been a Christian for five years now) I've learnt a lot more about God than I could ever have imagined. And He is better than anything I could ever have dreamed. So I say, go for it! God doesn't expect perfection (or He would never have sent His son to die for our sins) - He just wants a closer relationship with us. He's always there when you need Him most. I remember one occasion, not that long ago, when I was in deep distress, for personal, family-related reasons. I was just sitting on a chair and crying. Then, I pulled out my phone, went on to the memo section, and literally typed out a prayer as I was saying it - almost like Kind David's psalms, except they weren't poetical, and quite rough. But it comforted me so much! I found that, when you trust in God, He will support you. You can lean your full weight on Him, and He will never let you go.

Also, seeing as you mentioned feminism (and, being a female myself, this is also very important for me!) might I recommend a book: "The Liberating Truth: How Jesus Empowers Women" by Danielle Strickland. I think you will really enjoy it:wink:
While we're on the topic of recommendations, I've also found http://www.everystudent.com/ very helpful and encouraging in my walk with God!

Do PM me, if you want to talk about this more. I'd be delighted! :smile:

http://www.everystudent.com/
Reply 7
Judging by your OP I'm not surprised you left, no offense but it sounds like you didn't know much about Islam in the first place.
Reply 8
Original post by HAnwar
Judging by your OP I'm not surprised you left, no offense but it sounds like you didn't know much about Islam in the first place.
So the same as many Muslims then? (I mean, most don't even know that the Quran permits wife beating, slavery and rape, FFS!) But as they are converting from one religion to another, some illogical thinking is to be expected, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Reply 9

Why I left;
- Light skin preference
- Laws against women
- Sharia law
- Protecting Israel
- Taqiyya

- Stances on women
- Equal rights

Help?

Well done, I am very pleased. What you have done was brave and I congratulate you for it.

Why I left;
- Light skin preference
- Laws against women
- Sharia law
- Protecting Israel
- Taqiyya

- Stances on women
- Equal rights

Help?

Rip in piece
Reply 11
Original post by Treblebee
You know, realisticly, anyone who converts to a different religion than the one their family has is going to have some sort of problem with them... God doesn't promise an easy ride. But if you know the parable Jesus gave about the wise man who built his house on the rock, and the foolish man who built his house on the sand, they both got the storm - but the wise man survived. So if you're leaning on something strong, not just to appearance, but actually strong and real, you will stand.

I've found people convert to Christianity for many different reasons. Some, because they want an answer. Others, because they seek forgiveness and peace. I converted mostly out of a mixture of fear, duty and love, which, looking back on it, was not perhaps the best preparation! But over the years (I've been a Christian for five years now) I've learnt a lot more about God than I could ever have imagined. And He is better than anything I could ever have dreamed. So I say, go for it! God doesn't expect perfection (or He would never have sent His son to die for our sins) - He just wants a closer relationship with us. He's always there when you need Him most. I remember one occasion, not that long ago, when I was in deep distress, for personal, family-related reasons. I was just sitting on a chair and crying. Then, I pulled out my phone, went on to the memo section, and literally typed out a prayer as I was saying it - almost like Kind David's psalms, except they weren't poetical, and quite rough. But it comforted me so much! I found that, when you trust in God, He will support you. You can lean your full weight on Him, and He will never let you go.

Also, seeing as you mentioned feminism (and, being a female myself, this is also very important for me!) might I recommend a book: "The Liberating Truth: How Jesus Empowers Women" by Danielle Strickland. I think you will really enjoy it:wink:
While we're on the topic of recommendations, I've also found http://www.everystudent.com/ very helpful and encouraging in my walk with God!

Do PM me, if you want to talk about this more. I'd be delighted! :smile:

http://www.everystudent.com/

I don't know these parables
But Islam is a GOAT religion.
Original post by l'etranger
But Islam is a GOAT religion.

ITK.

When you decide to revert let me know. Recite the Shahadah after me, I need the Thawab :smug:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pikachū
ITK.

When you decide to revert let me know. Recite the Shahadah after me, I need the Thawab :smug:

Why make stacks when you can make Da'wah :cool:

Cash in on your piety
Why make stacks when you can make Da'wah :cool:

Cash in on your piety

Spoiler

Whenever you're ready :flute:
Original post by Pikachū

Spoiler

Whenever you're ready :flute:

Do I get to be one of those cool Arab princes who messages all the ho's Instagram? :sly:
Do I get to be one of those cool Arab princes who messages all the ho's Instagram? :sly:

Only if you have 50K to spare per hoe...
Original post by heineken
Rip in piece

What do you think RIP means?
Original post by Palmyra
What do you think RIP means?

it's a maymay you dip

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending